"Dodge sets sights on new Caliber"

Old April 8th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default "Dodge sets sights on new Caliber"

Dodge sets sights on new Caliber
Dodge's introduction of the Caliber, the Neon's successor and
replacement, indicates that in the context of SUV versatility,
customers now demand their entry-level vehicles not only to be
affordable, but also capable of transporting excess cargo and
passengers.
at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...3648-1347r.htm

Old April 9th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dodge sets sights on new Caliber
> Dodge's introduction of the Caliber, the Neon's successor and
> replacement, indicates that in the context of SUV versatility,
> customers now demand their entry-level vehicles not only to be
> affordable, but also capable of transporting excess cargo and
> passengers.
> at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...3648-1347r.htm

I think it's a great attempt for Dodge.

I haven't tried it yet, but overall, I really like the look/feel of the car,
especially considering the price.

I hope to see a day where American cars are once again the "benchmark".. I
haven't owned a US made car for quite a while; I'd probably buy this one
..

Old April 9th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"M.R.S." > wrote

> I think it's a great attempt for Dodge.

Saw my first one at a dealership this week. Very impressive. Different
enough to be interesting, but the differences look right. I can see why some
industry analysts are saying that this will kill the PT, because it fills
its role and has wider appeal as well.

Old April 10th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> On 9-Apr-2006, "Dave Gower" > wrote:
>
> > "M.R.S." > wrote
> >
> > > I think it's a great attempt for Dodge.

> > Saw my first one at a dealership this week. Very impressive. Different
> > enough to be interesting, but the differences look right. I can see why
> > some
> > industry analysts are saying that this will kill the PT, because it

fills
> > its role and has wider appeal as well.

> This would be a good time for Chrysler to look at a replacement for the

PT;
> it's been around for 7 full years with no substantive design change. How
> long can demand stay up for that design and, unless they are considering a
> pickup version, there aren't any new variations on the current car that
> might grow sales. Selling a new PT, other than (maybe) the convertible,

has
> got to be getting more difficult because all over town nearly identical

used
> cars are selling for much less.
>
> I have a 2001 PT that I ordered in April 2000 and took delivery of in June
> 2000; there is no sense paying $10k with trade for another PT that looks
> just like what I have (except the body colored bumpers are more to my
> taste). I've had my fill of convertibles in the past 20 years and think
> the PT variant is butt-ugly; besides, it eliminates the great flexibility

of
> the PT interior.
>
> Though I haven't bought anything but Chrysler products since 1966 (it was

> lovely '37 Ford sedan, that looked a lot like a giant version of my

current
> PT), I've thought about stopping by the Chevy dealer to see if the HHR is

as
> flexible as the PT. The Caliber gives me something else to look at before
> leaving the Chrysler stable.

I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling full
size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several years,
but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not fuel
efficient enough.

Old April 10th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Joe" wrote in message...

> "Deke" wrote in message...

> > I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
> > Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
> > camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling
> > full
> > size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several
> > years,
> > but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not

fuel
> > efficient enough.
> >

> That's not a bad idea. I never knew anybody that had one, but my Dad was
> telling me the other day that some of his coworkers got 40 mpg in those
> rampages back in the olden days. That's hard for me to believe.

I know lotsa folks that would love to have a small truck, me included.
Everyone seems to be looking for those 1980's Toyota 4x4s w/ the 4-cyl.,
5-spd. setup - got decent mileage, you could beat the hell out of 'em, and
they got you where you needed to go.

Today's 'small truck' is way too big... might as well just get a full-size
truck. Hey automakers... bring back the 3400-lb 4x4 pickup truck that gets
30+mpg!

Old April 10th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:45:13 GMT, "L, not -L" > wrote:

>On 9-Apr-2006, "Dave Gower" > wrote:
>
>> "M.R.S." > wrote
>>
>> > I think it's a great attempt for Dodge.

>> Saw my first one at a dealership this week. Very impressive. Different
>> enough to be interesting, but the differences look right. I can see why
>> some
>> industry analysts are saying that this will kill the PT, because it fills
>> its role and has wider appeal as well.

>This would be a good time for Chrysler to look at a replacement for the PT;
>it's been around for 7 full years with no substantive design change. How
>long can demand stay up for that design and, unless they are considering a
>pickup version, there aren't any new variations on the current car that
>might grow sales. Selling a new PT, other than (maybe) the convertible, has
>got to be getting more difficult because all over town nearly identical used
>cars are selling for much less.

snip

There already IS a replacement for the PT. It will be built on the
same platform as the Caliber. I think I read that the new platform,
PM, will include replacements for PL (Neon), PT (Cruiser) and JS
(Sebring).
Old April 10th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
> Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
> camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling
> full
> size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several
> years,
> but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not fuel
> efficient enough.

isn't that the Subaru Baja?

Old April 12th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"mrdancer" <mrdancer_at__iw.net> wrote in message
> "Joe" wrote in message...
>>
>> "Deke" wrote in message...

>> > I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
>> > Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
>> > camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling
>> > full
>> > size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several
>> > years,
>> > but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not

> fuel
>> > efficient enough.
>> >

>> That's not a bad idea. I never knew anybody that had one, but my Dad was
>> telling me the other day that some of his coworkers got 40 mpg in those
>> rampages back in the olden days. That's hard for me to believe.

> I know lotsa folks that would love to have a small truck, me included.
> Everyone seems to be looking for those 1980's Toyota 4x4s w/ the 4-cyl.,
> 5-spd. setup - got decent mileage, you could beat the hell out of 'em, and
> they got you where you needed to go.
>
> Today's 'small truck' is way too big... might as well just get a full-size
> truck. Hey automakers... bring back the 3400-lb 4x4 pickup truck that
> gets
> 30+mpg!

I was just reading a car mag long-term test "update" on their Nissan
Frontier truck. That stupid thing got 14 mpg. No joke. That's real world,
their actual mileage.

Old April 12th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Punch" > wrote in message
>> I would give anything to have another Rampage-like pick up.
>> Just big enough to haul what I wanted to haul (plywood, washer/dryer,
>> camping stuff, etc), front wheel drive, economy, but not a gas guzzling
>> full
>> size truck. I've been looking for another one (Rampage) for several
>> years,
>> but they are hard to find. And the Dakotas are just to big, and not fuel
>> efficient enough.
>>

> isn't that the Subaru Baja?

Yes, but there's not much truck space there. The Baja is very close, though.
You're absolutely right. It needs a 2-door version that'll haul a sheet of
plywood somehow, or maybe a washing machine would be the right design idiom,
as suggested earlier in the thread.