Grinding Noise

Old March 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Grinding Noise

While driving straight (no turns), I heard a grinding noise. I was able to
feel the vibration and it felt as if it was coming from between the engine
and the driveshaft. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was traveling
about 40 mph and when I gave it more gas, the grinding noise started. When I
took my foot off the gas, it stopped. I maintained 10 mph and the Jeep would
keep moving. When I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to climb a very
small hill ( like the one when you drive up into a gas station), the Jeep
died on me. I started it right back up and the Jeep is now running fine,
except for the check engine light that is now on. Any ideas?
Old March 31st 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Retrieve the fault codes as described:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Old March 31st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Grandetourer did pass the time by typing:
> While driving straight (no turns), I heard a grinding noise. I was able to
> feel the vibration and it felt as if it was coming from between the engine
> and the driveshaft. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was traveling
> about 40 mph and when I gave it more gas, the grinding noise started. When I
> took my foot off the gas, it stopped. I maintained 10 mph and the Jeep would
> keep moving. When I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to climb a very
> small hill ( like the one when you drive up into a gas station), the Jeep
> died on me. I started it right back up and the Jeep is now running fine,
> except for the check engine light that is now on. Any ideas?

Could be U joints but I've only experienced on "grinding under load"
and it was a biggie. For me I was towing a trailer through the
mountains and any time I put a load on the engine it would produce
a nasty grinding noise. Problem is your talking "big bucks" if I'm correct. :/

Climb underneath and use a BIG screwdriver or prybar between the oil pan
and the harmonic balancer. (don't bend the pan) lightly pry the balancer
forward and backward, if it moves more than about 1/8" then the grinding is
because the main thrust bearing in the block has gone byebye.

--
DougW

Old April 1st 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In article <5e0eedd502a2e@uwe>, Grandetourer <u20327@uwe> wrote:
#While driving straight (no turns), I heard a grinding noise. I was able to
#feel the vibration and it felt as if it was coming from between the engine
#and the driveshaft. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was traveling
#about 40 mph and when I gave it more gas, the grinding noise started. When I
#took my foot off the gas, it stopped. I maintained 10 mph and the Jeep would
#keep moving. When I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to climb a very
#small hill ( like the one when you drive up into a gas station), the Jeep
#died on me. I started it right back up and the Jeep is now running fine,
#except for the check engine light that is now on. Any ideas?

Do you have a quadradrive system? If so, what goo do you have in the
xfer case and when was it last changed?

/herb
Old April 1st 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, it is a 2 wheel drive Jeep.

Old April 2nd 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

#>#While driving straight (no turns), I heard a grinding noise. I was able to
#>#feel the vibration and it felt as if it was coming from between the engine
#>#and the driveshaft. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was traveling
#>#about 40 mph and when I gave it more gas, the grinding noise started. When I
#>#took my foot off the gas, it stopped. I maintained 10 mph and the Jeep would
#>#keep moving. When I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to climb a very
#>#small hill ( like the one when you drive up into a gas station), the Jeep
#>#died on me. I started it right back up and the Jeep is now running fine,
#>#except for the check engine light that is now on. Any ideas?
#>
#>Do you have a quadradrive system? If so, what goo do you have in the
#>xfer case and when was it last changed?
#>
#No, it is a 2 wheel drive Jeep.

What OBD codes are you getting?
Without cranking, turn the ignition on, off, on, off, on and leave it on.
Have a pen and paper ready to get the codes.

There is a list of the codes and what they mean at www.wjjeeps.com.

/herb
Old April 2nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Is it still making the grinding noise and vibration?

Retrieve the fault codes as described:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

As you are driving along, in an area with no traffic, put the Transmission
un neutral and see if that has an effect on the noise and vibration.

Repeat test again with the while applying the brakes. When were the brakes
last visually inspected?

Check the power steering fluid level.

Let us know..

t...

Old April 3rd 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, it only made noise for that one time. The engine light came on after that.
I paid $40 for a diagnostic. The code came back P0720 - Output shaft speed
sensor.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, it only made noise for that one time. The engine light came on after that.

I paid $40 for a diagnostic. The code came back P0720 - Output shaft speed
sensor.
WOW, you mean I could have saved $40.

Old April 3rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

So what isn't working? Is your speedo or odometer not reading correct?
Any stalls when you decelerate?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's