1994 Plymouth Acclaim overheating 4 cyl Auto

Old February 16th 05, 01:45 AM
Kruse

ed wrote:
> Dumb question. Could the water pump be shot?

*Could* be. We had a car in a few weeks ago that had only one impeller
left on it. (If I remember right, it should've had six!!)
In this case, though, it's probably the thermostat. There are a lot of
CHEAP thermostats on the market.

Old February 24th 05, 10:18 PM
Helvis

I was waiting to reply because it seemed like it had resolved itself and I
wasn't going to have to do anything but.....

The car has been driven daily since my first post and didn't heat up again
until last night. It did almost the same thing as before. It finally got
to a point when it was really hot and the thermostat decided to open and the
engine temp dropped to normal in a matter of seconds. I already have a
spare thermostat and gasket so I am going to change it out and then I'll
bleed the system as Daniel suggested. Though I don't want to drill a hole
in the flange for fear of really messing something up ;o)

When I installed the first thermostat I did leave the cap off and let it
warm up like Lawrence had suggested. It did start to spill out so I thought
I was ok but maybe I didn't let it go long enough.

In the Hanes book it says to drain the entire system and reuse the coolant
if it is fairly new but doesn't mention anything about bleeding it. There
is a hex head plug at the top of the water box like Daniel said there would
be but the book didn't mention it at all.

A friend is bringing me some larger hex wrenches later today since I don't
have any big enough. Hopefully this will fix it for good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'll be posting another question
about my truck so stay tuned!

.umich.edu...

Old February 24th 05, 11:09 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Helvis wrote:

> In the Hanes book it says to drain the entire system and reuse the coolant
> if it is fairly new but doesn't mention anything about bleeding it. There
> is a hex head plug at the top of the water box like Daniel said there would
> be but the book didn't mention it at all.

This is just one more example of why you should not rely on Haynes' crappy
books.

Full instructions for using a Haynes manual are at:

http://u225.torque.net/haynes_instructions.html

You should really, REALLY get the factory manual if you plan on working on
your own car.

DS
Old February 25th 05, 01:53 AM
maxpower

"Helvis" > wrote in message
> [...]

of
> > the valve poppet, and when you install the thermostat put this hole at

the
> > 12:00 (top) position; this helps move air forward and evacuate it. But

for
> > now, you need to bleed the system. The screw plug is often frozen in
> > place, so a decent alternative procedure is to put the car with the nose
> > on as sharp an upward angle as possible, loosen the radiator cap and run
> > the engine at a fast idle until it reaches full operating temperature

and
> > for about 10 minutes thereafter.
> >
> > The other possibility is that your engine requires a head gasket. These
> > engines aren't as prone to head gasket failures as the early 2.0/2.4,

but
> > they do tend to need a gasket if they begin heating up like this.

Loosen the coolant temp sensor at the thermostat housing as you are filling
the system up it will push almost all air out, Start the engine and let the
rest burp out, you dont need to point the car up a hill or anything.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 25th 05, 07:24 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"TeGGer®" > writes:

> "Helvis" > wrote in
> :
>

> > In the Hanes book it says to drain the entire system

> My Hanes book says to wash my underwear regularly.

Fortunately, you got the FSM andnot the Haynes book...