Is there something to this?

Old February 24th 05, 04:53 PM
JP

Nah, I know <g>

I'm liking it more and more, but one little "options" button on the ui
would solve a lot of problems.

"Schooner" > wrote in message
> Not arguing that papy did the same thing, again just stating that EA is
> promoting this as all new and it is not is all.
> Couldn't care less who makes the next great sim but this certainly isn't

it
> from all I have read to date.
>
> "JP" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Schooner" > wrote in message
> >> I agree there is no value in reinventing the heel, but I think the

point
> > is
> >> this was made out to be "all new" not "partly new with some old code

that

Old February 24th 05, 05:00 PM
Steve Blankenship

Yeah, the "all new" bit is pure marketing-speak (otherwise known as BS), but
then I knew NSR was based on the ISI physics engine to begin with. But it's
a capable physics engine to build a sim on as GTR shows, so that wasn't a
big issue for me. Still can't quite get ISI's tires to behave the way I'd
like, but if you've done any reading on tire models you can see they've done
a thorough job of building one. Really interesting subject, by the way.

It's pure conjecture on my part, but it's almost as if the physics end of
this project is the neglected stepchild. You get the feeling Tiburon was
focusing elsewhere and assumed their middleware physics solution was solid.
How else could they have missed something as obvious and easy to fix as the
rear diff issue? It doesn't make the cars that much harder to drive, only a
touch less forgiving and in need of a bit more care with the right foot.
But as delivered, it's unarguably not a SIMulation of a Cup car rear end.
There are some other questions in the HDV and TBC files as well, like some
of the aero values and the increased low-speed grip for road course tires
vs. oval ones.

Interesting to note that you can tweak the diff values in the SVM files
(values that are inaccessible in the game setup menu) and race online with
no problem. Not that it's any advantage, mind you. I actually spun off T4
in an online race at Kansas last night using a locked diff, when I could've
just flat-tracked it with the LS one. I guess some folks might gripe about
the cars being less forgiving like that, but the thing is I SHOULD have spun
then, so I didn't mind it happening. Having to stay more focused when
you're on the limit just adds to the game in my opinion.

But then "floor it and steer" obviously has appeal; what else would explain
the predominance of plate tracks on race servers over the years... ;-)

SB

"Schooner" > wrote in message
> I agree there is no value in reinventing the heel, but I think the point

is
> this was made out to be "all new" not "partly new with some old code that

we
> had kicking around mixed in". They seem to be pushing it being all new as
> they know many had issues with previous titles.
>

> "Steve Blankenship" > wrote in message
> > "Schooner" > wrote in message
> >> Check the text in your NSR full or Demo version. It is all right

there,
> >> posted this as well last week here.

> > It's no big deal that the suspension file is the same, since it's not

like
> > Cup cars have undergone a big redesign since then. Doug certainly knows
> > what he's doing, and if it was right then it's fine to keep that file

the

Old February 24th 05, 06:11 PM
Plowboy

Hehehe...
Steve Blankenship enlightened us with:

> But then "floor it and steer" obviously has appeal; what else would
> explain the predominance of plate tracks on race servers over the
> years... ;-)
>
> SB

I was online with this again, for a few minutes, I swear to gosh almighty...
but 1st, why is it that about the only track anyone ever sets up, is
Dega-tona... Jeebus, especially now that just about eveyone agree's that
this is x10 easier to drive, it seems? Well, at least the lobbies in NR03
are less conjested with typists... heheheh.

What is the deal with allowing "modified .exe" files on the servers? Nah I
dont care, supposedly it is "just the no CD patch" but Im sorry after the
last few years of people cheating, It made me go back to here
http://www.miniclip.com/trialscy/trialscy_game.htm

and then back to Richard Burns Rally to get my game & Sim-Fix. LOL!

Old February 24th 05, 07:23 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Plowboy" > wrote in message

> I was online with this again, for a few minutes, I swear to gosh

almighty...
> but 1st, why is it that about the only track anyone ever sets up, is
> Dega-tona... Jeebus, especially now that just about eveyone agree's that
> this is x10 easier to drive, it seems? Well, at least the lobbies in NR03
> are less conjested with typists... heheheh.
>
> What is the deal with allowing "modified .exe" files on the servers? Nah

> dont care, supposedly it is "just the no CD patch" but Im sorry after the
> last few years of people cheating, It made me go back to here
> http://www.miniclip.com/trialscy/trialscy_game.htm
>
> and then back to Richard Burns Rally to get my game & Sim-Fix. LOL!

Great link! As a former TY250 owner, I can attest that the ones he says are
really hard - really ARE!

Think I may have injured myself... ;-)

SB

Old February 24th 05, 10:28 PM
Bill Bollinger

Or like N2003 was to N4. Isn't physics math based anyways? If it accurate,
why change it? Or are we ASSUMING it isn't accurate? Or are we ASSUMING it
isn't accurate because EA made it and Papy didn't? Or are we ASSUMING it
isn't accurate because EA made it 2 years ago and most simmers purchased
N2003 vs. Thunder 03? Bottom line is if it is right, it is right.

Bill Bollinger
www.gsxn.com

Old February 24th 05, 10:46 PM
Schooner

I'm not assuming anything. I was just saying it was reused and not all new
like was claimed, which it is not. The fact they can drop old files into a
"all new engine" makes me think it is not so "all new". Heck they could
have at least cleaned up the files. Looks like they never did anything
other than saying "ya just grab this file and use that as is"

Again I couldn't care less who makes the sim, Papy, EA, or my dog.

Its funny how you can point out an issue like this and all of a sudden the
replies are "but but but Papy did it too!" Does that make EA marketing it
as all new ok?

Too many people jumping on both bandwagons for my liking. State the truth
and pick the best sim available.

Old February 24th 05, 10:46 PM
Plowboy

So Bill,

You think it is "right" then? sheit, I is just wondering...

Bill Bollinger enlightened us with:

Old February 24th 05, 11:02 PM
Plowboy

Steve,

The older 2 versions (std and Pro that you can buy in one "pack") the bikes
react faster, alas I bought the one that the demo is online (construction)
it is just as slow at home & work as at the website, you just get full
screen, LOL...

I was a former TY-80 owner got the 1st one sold in Colorado in 74, LOL. We
quit competing in 83 or there abouts... BUT, I have recenlty gone back to
competing after 20 years off, I even had a 75 250 model here for friends &
an 80 for sonny. The last bike I had back in the 80's was 79 Sherpa-t.
Now 2 weeks ago I bought me a GasGas 300 Pro. they are awesome.
http://www.gasgas.com/Gas-Gas-Media/...XT300x700w.gif

I dont mean to change the thread Steve, but have you thought about getting
back in? dang it is soo much fun again... I am sooo glad we did. Goto our
club, check through their links, eventually you will find some dudes near
you that are going at it... :^)

Wichita KS Club is here
http://www.gasgas.com/Gas-Gas-Media/...XT300x700w.gif

I cant help it, I like the sport so much I try and spread the word, ya know.
well enough of me being one of those "spokes men"... LOL

Old February 24th 05, 11:15 PM
Plowboy

I should point out this link... (oops) about the 300... the bike has more
spec's here but notice... WEIGHT: 146lb's
http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/2005's/Trials-models-main.html
you got to scroll down. I think My bultaco weighed in a a svelt 225? (no
idea) back when.
Last thing, go here, watch the "training Video" clips (yeah some are
advanced)
http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/...w_to_ride.html

Plowboy enlightened us with:
> Steve,

snipped this from earlier goof.

Old February 25th 05, 12:21 AM
ymenard

>"JP" > wrote
> "Schooner" > wrote
>> I agree there is no value in reinventing the heel, but I think the point
>> is
>> this was made out to be "all new" not "partly new with some old code that
>> we
>> had kicking around mixed in". They seem to be pushing it being all new
>> as
>> they know many had issues with previous titles.

> Kind of, no, actually, exactly, like when N3 was released

Papyrus never, ever said that the released N3 was all new. Please stop with
your history revisionism.

It's pathetic that you're comparing something that was made 6 years ago.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez