Hemi Pacifica

Old February 7th 05, 05:06 PM
Steve

> GM had a pair of V8 FWD vehicles back in the 1970's (Cadillac Elderado and
> Oldsmobile Toranado). So it can be done. Perhaps not with the current
> iteration of the Pacifica. But future redesigned models perhaps.

GM has had front-drive V8s around for decades, and still does have a few
although Cadillac is now going more and more to rear-drive. All the
Cadillacs except the Fleetwood were FWD v8s since about 1986 until just
the last couple of years, first with the 4.5L v8, then the 4.9, and
finally with the Northstar.

The old Toronado and Eldorado of the 60s and 70s (and dont forget
certain years of the Buick Riviera too) were more like the Chrysler LH
cars in that they were front-drive but with a longitudinally-mounted
engine. The later (86-recent) Cadillacs were transverse engines like the
Pacifica- but they were either pushrod wedge-head engines (4.5 and 4.9)
or overhead cam (Northstar), not a Hemi-head. And the cars were designed
for a v8, unlike the Chrysler minivan chassis (Pacifica) which is a
tight fit just for the 3.5L v6.

Old February 7th 05, 05:48 PM
phreak

Technically, the 3.5HO *is* a 'hemi' engine.

Over on allpar some people are saying that DCX is planning to stroke
the 3.5 One More Time before replacing it.

>From the after-market, we know that the 3.5 is easily capable of 300+

HP with a good torque curve. The UltraDrive tranny is another question
though. Without a significant uprating of the clutches and solenoid
body I'd le leary of putting any more stress on one than the Pacifica
already represents.

NJ Vike wrote:
> Doesn't the 300C with the Hemi going to be offered with a Hemi? Why

can't
> they do the same with the Pacifica?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> "Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
> from thirty-third to Buffalo.
> From Broadway bright the tubes run right
> Into the Road of Anthracite"
> Erie - Lackawanna
>

> "CopperTop" > wrote in message
> et...
> > The base Pacifica is a FWD with an AWD option. Until the Pacifica

goes to
> > a rear drive, I doubt the hemi will be offered.
> >
> > ==================
> >
> > "NJ Vike" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> >> Looks like I made a mistake here. I was replying to the wrong

thread.

> >> My question here is does anyone think that Chrysler will put the

Hemi in
> >> the Pacifica? There seems to be complaints about the Pacifica

having

Old February 10th 05, 07:28 PM
Steve

phreak wrote:
> Technically, the 3.5HO *is* a 'hemi' engine.

Nope, its a pent-roof head, not a Hemi.

> Over on allpar some people are saying that DCX is planning to stroke
> the 3.5 One More Time before replacing it.

Stroke or bore? The 3.5 is (sorta) a bored 3.3. Same stroke, but lots of
other differences (deep skirt block like the B/RB v8 family,
cross-bolted main caps like the 426 Hemi, forged crank, slipper pistons)
and that was even before they re-cast it in aluminum.

>>From the after-market, we know that the 3.5 is easily capable of 300+

> HP with a good torque curve. The UltraDrive tranny is another question
> though. Without a significant uprating of the clutches and solenoid
> body I'd le leary of putting any more stress on one than the Pacifica
> already represents.

I don't know what version of the tranny the Pacifica has. The 42LE type
that was in the 300M/Concorde/Intrepid is quite a lot stronger than the
41TE that the minvans had, but I'm betting that the PAcifica has a 41TE
type since its still a transverse engine (TE instead of LE). I also
don't know the designation for the rear-drive version of the 42LE that
is used behind the 3.5 in the Magnum and 300, but its stronger still and
could conceivably be beefed to handle a Hemi. But why bother? the Ram
trucks already have a 42LE-cousin rear-drive transmission that is quite
capable of handling a Hemi. I never understood why Chrysler went with
the Daimler 5-speed over-complicated monstrosity behind the Hemi in the
300 and Magnum when the truck transmission is undoubtedly much stronger
and more reliable.

Old February 12th 05, 02:33 AM
NJ Vike

I wasn't aware of that the Jeep had the Hemi. I will look at it.

Thanks

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
From Broadway bright the tubes run right
Into the Road of Anthracite"
Erie - Lackawanna

The HEMI Luke Smith 4x4 14 January 3rd 05 05:31 AM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 06:27 PM
Turbocharging a Chrysler Pacifica Jimmy Chrysler 6 December 9th 04 06:48 PM