How do drivers use the 6th gear in a manual?

Old December 16th 04, 02:42 PM

Default How do drivers use the 6th gear in a manual?

This may be a naive question, but please bear with me.

I have driven 5 speed transmissions for most of my life and am now
upgrading to a great vehicle with a 6 speed.

I wonder if other stick shift lovers out there can tell me when and how
they like to use the 6th gear? Is there more to it than when you're in
cruise control on an interstate?

Old December 16th 04, 10:08 PM
TCS

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.

The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
up to the particular implementation.
Old December 17th 04, 03:06 AM
Anthony

TCS > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
>>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

> It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
>
> The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
> up to the particular implementation.

The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old December 17th 04, 04:30 AM
Don Bruder

In article >,
Anthony > wrote:

> TCS > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:12:39 GMT, Richard > wrote:
> >>Do you have to shift sooner in the lower gears?

> > It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
> >
> > The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
> > up to the particular implementation.
> >

> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

Wheeeee!

Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626?

(Yeah. Sure it will. When pigs sprout wings...)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old December 17th 04, 06:35 AM
TCS

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:30:23 GMT, Don Bruder > wrote:
>In article >,
> Anthony > wrote:

>> TCS > wrote in
>> :

>> > It's the same as a five speed versus a four speed.
>> >
>> > The top gear might have a higher ratio or it might not. It's entirely
>> > up to the particular implementation.
>> >

>> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
>> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

>Wheeeee!

>Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626?

With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.
Old December 17th 04, 07:56 AM
Don Bruder

In article
TCS > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:30:23 GMT, Don Bruder > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Anthony > wrote:

> >> TCS > wrote in
> >> :

> >> The Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56 six speed generally has a 0.74 5th
> >> and a 0.50 6th ratio, so both are overdrive.

> >Wheeeee!

> >Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626?

> With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
> Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy!

(What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

Old December 17th 04, 05:15 PM
Ulf

:

>>>Wheeeee!

>>>Will it bolt up to the 2.0 liter inline 4 engine in an '82 Mazda 626?

>>With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
>>Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

> Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy!
>
> (What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
> know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

Considering I have no problems accelerating up inclines in 6th gear in
my Camaro it can't be that bad. Besides, you can always change the rear
end ratio, at least in a RWD car...

Ulf
Old December 17th 04, 05:24 PM
TCS

:

>>>With that engine, you'd only be able to use 6th gear on a 10% decline.
>>>Otherwise, it'd be like using 4th gear at 10mph.

>> Awww, shaddup and quit spoiling a perfectly good fantasy!
>>
>> (What? You actually think even if it WOULD bolt in, I didn't already
>> know it'd be just about as useful as tits on a boar hog?)

>Considering I have no problems accelerating up inclines in 6th gear in
>my Camaro it can't be that bad. Besides, you can always change the rear
>end ratio, at least in a RWD car...

Take your camero, pull the spark plugs off two cylinders and retard the
timing 20 degrees and you might have a power/weight ratio like the mazda.