Spooky break in

Old June 2nd 04, 07:44 PM
Yaddha

Default Spooky break in

A couple of days ago, a filthy thief stole my nice JVC KD-LX10R
autoradio out of my 156 2.0 (02/2000). Lucky enough, there was no
scratch on the car, no holes underneath the door knob, no windows
smashed, nothing at all. The thief even removed the radio so neatly,
there were no marks on the dashboard or cables cut. My CD's were still
in the car, so were my sunglasses and fresh granny smith apple. The
weirdest thing was, that I found my car locked on the street (oposite
my house!), at least that is what I think: I used the remote control
and heard the car make just one clicking sound, after which the doors
were open, so I assume they must have been closed before. Also I am
convinced that I locked it earlier.

I am wandering how they came in. Could it be possible that there is a
universal key, or that my remote control was tapped somehow? Is there
anyone who recognises this? I think it is terrifying people can just
enter my car as they please. (I know, having a nice brick can be
enough for free admittance in any car, but still...)

Does this make any sence?

Regards,
Yaddha - Black 256 2.0 Lusso / 2000
Old June 2nd 04, 07:54 PM
Roel van der Made

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:44:00 +0200, Yaddha wrote:

> A couple of days ago, a filthy thief stole my nice JVC KD-LX10R
> autoradio out of my 156 2.0 (02/2000). Lucky enough, there was no
> scratch on the car, no holes underneath the door knob, no windows
> smashed, nothing at all.

Check the key-hole again in both locks, they tend to use a scissors to
open (and close..) the doors, took me some looking to find out also
last time, but there was some damage in the keyhole.

> Does this make any sence?

Sure does.. been there too several times :-(

> Regards,
> Yaddha - Black 256 2.0 Lusso / 2000

Roel van der Made
-156 SW 2.0 '2000
Old June 3rd 04, 10:32 PM
Dutchie

"Roel van der Made" > wrote in message
news
> > Does this make any sence?

> Sure does.. been there too several times :-(

Ah, another Alfa driver from Amsterdam I assume.

Had the same experience together with 2 other Alfa drivers in the same
street in the same night. Damage on the car was hardly noticeable, until you
tried to lock/unlock using the keylock instead of the remote.

With me, they stole my CD player with all discs in it. Insurance company
only payed 25% of the value, saying, the player and the discs were too old.

Not the weirdest thing they stole from my Alfa.
Couple of years ago, they stole my four wheels. Pretty strange experience
when your car is suddenly 30 cm lower.

Paul

Old June 4th 04, 12:10 PM
Roel van der Made

Dutchie wrote:
> "Roel van der Made" > wrote in message
> news
>> > Does this make any sence?

>> Sure does.. been there too several times :-(

> Ah, another Alfa driver from Amsterdam I assume.

Indeed.. been there 8 times in total during 3 years, since i've moved to the
other part of Amsterdam no more problems... (Zeeburg).

> Had the same experience together with 2 other Alfa drivers in the same
> street in the same night. Damage on the car was hardly noticeable, until
> you tried to lock/unlock using the keylock instead of the remote.

Yep.. known issue.., possibly the same fart who tried your car and the
others.. I lived in Oud West.

> With me, they stole my CD player with all discs in it. Insurance company
> only payed 25% of the value, saying, the player and the discs were too
> old.

First time they stole my cd's and an amplifier which was in the hood, the
subwoofer was still there, possibly too heavy for them though it's a
portable one...All the other times NOTHING was stolen since there was
nothing in the car, but they break in anyhow..

> Paul

Roel.
-156 SW 2.0 '2000

Old June 4th 04, 06:54 PM
Alfistagj

"Dutchie" > schreef in bericht

> With me, they stole my CD player with all discs in it. Insurance company
> only payed 25% of the value, saying, the player and the discs were too

old.

Tip:
CD's are not covered by your car insurrance, but by your household
insurrance (inboedelverzekering)!!
It is considered "normal" to have up to 10CD's in your car (max of a
changer), clothing (coat etc.), umbrella etc. provided they are not
"exhibited" in the open but in the back.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old June 4th 04, 08:03 PM
Yaddha

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:32:12 +0200, "Dutchie" >
wrote:

>"Roel van der Made" > wrote in message
>news
>> > Does this make any sense?

>> Sure does.. been there too several times :-(
>>

>Ah, another Alfa driver from Amsterdam I assume.

Yep, so am I...

>Had the same experience together with 2 other Alfa drivers in the same
>street in the same night. Damage on the car was hardly noticeable, until you
>tried to lock/unlock using the keylock instead of the remote.

In Oud-Zuid? There are so many expensive cars in this area; could it
be possible that AR is the easiest to break? (of Rover, BMW, Mercedes,
expensive VWs, Saab, etc?)

>With me, they stole my CD player with all discs in it. Insurance company
>only payed 25% of the value, saying, the player and the discs were too old.

I am afraid my ins. comp. won't pay either, since the thing was 3
years old and is not for sale any more. Costed more than 300 euros
though.

>Not the weirdest thing they stole from my Alfa.
>Couple of years ago, they stole my four wheels. Pretty strange experience
>when your car is suddenly 30 cm lower.

Did that also happen here in Amsterdam?? Then I have to put some
serious alarm on it, for these wheels are so damn cool...

>Paul

A'ci
Y'ha.
Old June 4th 04, 08:48 PM
Yaddha

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:10:20 +0200, Roel van der Made
> wrote:

>Dutchie wrote:
>> "Roel van der Made" > wrote in message
>> news

>> Damage on the car was hardly noticeable, until
>> you tried to lock/unlock using the keylock instead of the remote.

>Yep.. known issue.., possibly the same fart who tried your car and the
>others.. I lived in Oud West.

I just checked my locks, but nothing was wrong. No damage and I could
lock and unlock the doors without any problems. Could it be possible
that someone has a universal remote or copied my signal or something?

Black 156 2.0 Lusso '2000
Black 156 2.0 Lusso '2000
Old June 4th 04, 11:57 PM
Roel van der Made

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:44:34 +0100, Charlie Harman wrote:

> "Alfistagj" > wrote:
>

>>"Dutchie" > schreef in bericht
. ..

>>> With me, they stole my CD player with all discs in it. Insurance company
>>> only payed 25% of the value, saying, the player and the discs were too

>>old.
>>>

>>Tip:
>>CD's are not covered by your car insurrance, but by your household
>>insurrance (inboedelverzekering)!!
>>It is considered "normal" to have up to 10CD's in your car (max of a
>>changer), clothing (coat etc.), umbrella etc. provided they are not
>>"exhibited" in the open but in the back.

> Should have put copies of your CDs in the car!

I did !!!!!! But somehow there's an aftermarket for them also :-(

R.

Old June 5th 04, 09:19 AM
Adam

"Yaddha" > wrote in message

> I just checked my locks, but nothing was wrong. No damage and I could
> lock and unlock the doors without any problems. Could it be possible
> that someone has a universal remote or copied my signal or something?

Very unlikely. Those signals work on a rotating frequency based on an
individual algorithm for your car. I would say it is far more likely that
the thief was either extremely careful or you might have simply left the
doors open.

In theory it may be possible to clone a signal, but the chances of doing so
would be quite remote. You would have to either know a lot about the certain
algorithms used for your model of car, and have followed you around long
enough to guess which algorithm fits your key/car, and then have monitored
the last signal to be sent to the car, and then programmed your learning
remote to send the next signal.

And besides, if they had done that, it would have thrown out the
relationship between genuine remote/car and the remote would no longer
function for you.

Of course, it is possible your car (or Alfas in Europe in general) are
fitted with less complicated remote systems, but even the type I have
described above (the rolling code) has been pretty standard for the last 5-8
years at least.

- Adam Ghijben

1969 1750 GTV Series 1 - Red

Old June 5th 04, 03:47 PM
Catman

Adam wrote:

> "Yaddha" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just checked my locks, but nothing was wrong. No damage and I could
>> lock and unlock the doors without any problems. Could it be possible
>> that someone has a universal remote or copied my signal or something?

> Very unlikely. Those signals work on a rotating frequency based on an
> individual algorithm for your car.

Erm, do you mean model or spefcific vehicle. I feel either is unlikley
since I very much doubt that Alfa produce their own anti-theft systems, and
to produce a new algorithm for each model seems a bit pointless. OTOH you
will probably find that the 'key' is a unique, randomly generated (large)
mumber, unique to a specific vehicle.

>I would say it is far more likely that
> the thief was either extremely careful or you might have simply left the
> doors open.

Agreed.
> In theory

it may be possible to clone a signal, but the chances of doing
> so would be quite remote. You would have to either know a lot about the
> certain algorithms used for your model of car, and have followed you
> around long enough to guess which algorithm fits your key/car, and then
> have monitored the last signal to be sent to the car, and then programmed
> your learning remote to send the next signal.

Yep, or one of a small subset of signals (see below)

> And besides, if they had done that, it would have thrown out the
> relationship between genuine remote/car and the remote would no longer
> function for you.

Not true (at lease AFAIK) the receiver will accept one a of set of signals,
not just a single one. Otherwise, if you pressed your remote just once,
out of range of the car, you'd be out of synch and not be able to open it.

> Of course, it is possible your car (or Alfas in Europe in general) are
> fitted with less complicated remote systems, but even the type I have
> described above (the rolling code) has been pretty standard for the last
> 5-8 years at least.

Indeed. That's when I learned about them. I could, of course, be talking
utter crap......
> - Adam Ghijben
>
> 1969 1750 GTV Series 1 - Red

niiiice
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk