Correct Tire Pressure ?

Old July 28th 14, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

Default Correct Tire Pressure ?

On 7/27/2014 2:26 PM, Bluto wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:38:17 AM UTC-10, Robert11 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>>
>> Tires on it are Nokian WRG2 225/60R16 98H
>>

>> Folks at the dealership checked tire pressures during an oil change,
>>
>> and have now
>>
>> made them all 35 psi (when cold).
>>

>> Have to admit that the car seems to handle a bit better with the
>>
>> higher pressures.
>>

>> Used to be around 31 psi when cold and just starting out.
>>

>> Tech Support at Nokian says to use what is on the car door sticker.
>>
>> They would not suggest any p which is a bit surprising as I thought
>>
>> the 'correct' pressure was probably
>>
>> more specific tire type determined, than what Buick would suggest.
>>

>> Anyway, it's now 35 psi when cold.
>>
>> Goes up to about 38 after driving.
>>

>> Car sticker says to set at 30 psi
>>

>> Think what I have now (35/38 psi) is "safe" for summer driving ?
>>
>> Would hate to have a blowout due to higher pressures. 38 psi sounds
>>
>> quite high (to me). Is it ?
>>
>> Safety aspects are really important to me.
>>

>> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>>

> I inflate my tires to 36-38 psi. They run fine. I have never had a blow
> out. Tires might blow up but I doubt that it's ever due to too high
> pressures. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll also probably get a little
> better MPG.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob

> Have always set it to 35 PSI with my own air pressure device when cold,
> usually the next morning after a service. Car handles great, tires going
> on 8 years with about 50% thread left. You have to ask yourself, the
> tire information plate on most cars says 30 psi, and that provides a
> soft ride but where do the manufacturers get that data -- from the tire
> companies. Now what tire company in their right mind would have you set
> something to extend the life of their product so you wouldn't buy early.
>
> Additionally, when in for service, I request 35 psi, the mechanics set
> it to 30 psi, telling me it's for safety purposes. I tell them the tires
> are hot so 30 psi will under inflate the. Deaf ears. So when I get the
> dealer service questionnaire, I always rate them unsatisfactory or the
> lowest I can. Always get a follow up call, tell them the car rode
> terribly after I had service, didn't know why, went to local mechanic,
> everything OK after that. Usually get a discount coupon for the next
> service to compensate me for my troubles and keep me coming back.
> Discount is usually 50%, go figure.

The old school guys - they like their psi at something like 27. :-)

Old July 28th 14, 11:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Scott Dorsey wrote: "Then why do you keep going to these chain tire stores instead of to a real shop?"

Define "real shop".

Secondly, correct tire pressure is a maintenance fundamental, not a specialty service. (Someone of your caliber should know this)

Correct Tire Pressure for 2004 A6 S-Line with 18 inch Wheels TonyKiz Audi 5 January 22nd 09 06:41 AM
How to set tire pressure. was: Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra... Blue Mesteno Ford Mustang 1 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
Correct tire size? Mofu Honda 2 August 12th 05 01:20 AM
'67 Beetle: Correct Tire Size Buick8 VW air cooled 6 July 24th 05 05:30 AM
what is the correct tire presure? James Hilins Antique cars 1 February 20th 05 02:45 AM