1994 Explorer hubs "grinding"/"buzzing"/"noisy" when disengaged

Old November 25th 04, 05:44 PM
Chris

Default 1994 Explorer hubs "grinding"/"buzzing"/"noisy" when disengaged

Hey everyone,

When I bought my truck, the 4 wheel drive did not work (front wheels did not
have power). My mechanic observed that the right side worked, but the left
side did not.

I picked up a used hub at the wreckers, installed it, and the 4x4 now works
fine.

However...when i disengage the 4 wheel drive (i.e. shift back into 2 wheel
drive, then reverse for a few feet) and start driving forward, I can hear a
buzzing/grinding noise coming from the front drivetrain. The noise
increases pitch with wheel speed.

I'm supposing that the hubs are not totally disengaging?

I serviced both hubs before reinstalling as I've read on several websites
(completely cleaned out grease using brake cleaner and laquer thinner, then
let hub internals soak in ATF for 10-15 minutes, drain, and install).

When I shift into and out of 4 wheel drive (but don't back up, so the hubs
are still locked), there is no buzzing noise.

Any ideas on how I can service this? Please don't suggest changing to
manual hubs....while I know that is the "best idea", I am working with a
tight budget at the moment so it will have to wait.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Old November 25th 04, 06:01 PM
NES

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:19 -0500, "Chris" >
wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>
>When I bought my truck, the 4 wheel drive did not work (front wheels did not
>have power). My mechanic observed that the right side worked, but the left
>side did not.
>
>I picked up a used hub at the wreckers, installed it, and the 4x4 now works
>fine.
>
>However...when i disengage the 4 wheel drive (i.e. shift back into 2 wheel
>drive, then reverse for a few feet) and start driving forward, I can hear a
>buzzing/grinding noise coming from the front drivetrain. The noise
>increases pitch with wheel speed.
>
>I'm supposing that the hubs are not totally disengaging?
>
>I serviced both hubs before reinstalling as I've read on several websites
>(completely cleaned out grease using brake cleaner and laquer thinner, then
>let hub internals soak in ATF for 10-15 minutes, drain, and install).
>
>When I shift into and out of 4 wheel drive (but don't back up, so the hubs
>are still locked), there is no buzzing noise.
>

>Any ideas on how I can service this? Please don't suggest changing to
>manual hubs....while I know that is the "best idea", I am working with a
>tight budget at the moment so it will have to wait.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Chris

Chris,

This exact same thing happened on my '93 full-size Bronco. In
addition to the buzzing, I would experience a clunking noise when
coming to a stop. What I found it to be was my 4WD motor was not
allowing my 4WD system to completely disengage. Eventually the 4WD
motor stopped working alltogether. At this point, I crawled under my
truck and tapped on the 4WD motor with a small ballpeen hammer.
Luckily for me, this brought it back to life and I haven't had a
problem since.

Give the tapping a shot. Hopefully it will work for you as it did for
me. If it does, remember to use your 4WD from time to time to keep it
in good working order.

Hope this helps.

NES
Old November 25th 04, 06:34 PM
dicko

Try backing up for more than a "few feet". On mine I had to back up
for at least a few hundred feet before they'd disengage. Then,
whenever I'd get stuck in deep snow, they wouldnt engage.

And it was more like a "zzzzzzzzz" sound. like fast racheting....

Took it to the dealer and it needed new hubs and new U-joints. Don't
know if he was pulling my leg or not but he said warn U-joints will
accelerate wear on the hubs.

But both were replaced and it worked fine for the next 6 years, until
I sold the car.

dickm

Old November 26th 04, 02:34 PM
Peter D. Hipson

ATF? You did grease them as well, right? (or don't Explorer hubs need
grease?)