'00 Jetta GLS VR6 Buying Advice

Old January 19th 05, 05:17 AM

Default '00 Jetta GLS VR6 Buying Advice

If "Am I getting a good deal" messages are inappropriate for this
group, I apologize...

I'm considering purchasing a '00 Jetta GLS VR6 with approx. 41K miles
on it. It comes certified pre-owned by VW and the carfax report comes
back clean. The interior/exterior seem great. The dealer (after a
little haggling) came down to $13,950 off-the-lot. This is under KBB
by $840.00 (plus taxes and dealer handling). Should I continue
shopping, make a lower counter offer, or jump on the deal?
Any buying advice is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

Old January 19th 05, 03:07 PM

I guess it's a way for the dealership to charge more money...I was told
by the salesperson that it was a flat fee of $350.00.

Old January 19th 05, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure if I'd have to pay sales tax on the 'handling' fee. I was
told of the handling fee after learning the price of the car.

What would be a more accurate representation of the true value of the
vehicle based on Kelly Blue Book categories: Private Party, Dealer, or
Trade-In?

Old January 19th 05, 10:37 PM
Woodchuck

Price sounds good especially being certified. Dealers like kbb pricing as it
usually on the high side so you must decide to buy the car or not.

ps.com...

Old January 20th 05, 06:05 AM
Tom Levigne

Don't get fooled here like so many others.
The "blue book" is put out by the used car dealers association and exists
for one purpose: to benefit used car dealers.

Yes, its a guide that can be used to give some idea of the value of a used
car but the spread in prices between "trade in value" and "retail value" at
a dealer is set at a wide margin to benefit the dealers.

The "private party value" is also set well below the "retail value" to make
people believe the car sold by the dealer is always worth more.

Often, you can learn more about a used car from meeting the actual prior
owner and learning how well it was or wasn't cared for etc.

Yes, the dealers check cars over to some extent and offer warranties you
won't get with private sales but don't let yourself get manipulated here
into overestimating the value of this along with the downside of a dealer
purchased vehicle.

TL