Disk brake pad sizes

Old August 15th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Default Disk brake pad sizes

I am haveing a spot of trouble with my front disk brakes. The disk
brake kit is on a 65 sedan with dual master cylinder. The front
passenger side is not releasing from the rotor. It drags all the time
and gets hot enough to sieze the rotor in place until it cools. I
believe the pad is supposed to mantain a little contact with the rotor
however this caliper is definitely dragging much much harder than it
should. My question: are there different pad sizes (thickness)for the
ghia calipers ( these are VW factory calpiers)? or it may not even
matter if I put a thinner pad in there. Shouldn't the piston inside the
caliper release pressure? These brakes only have a few hundred miles
so I'm inclined to believe there is an explanation besides worn parts.
The pads are virtually new. I ceaned up everything nicely, reassembled
and they still drag, just as much as before. Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks.

Joel Bartlett

Old August 16th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

jtbartlett wrote:

> I am haveing a spot of trouble with my front disk brakes. The disk
> brake kit is on a 65 sedan with dual master cylinder. The front
> passenger side is not releasing from the rotor. It drags all the time
> and gets hot enough to sieze the rotor in place until it cools. I
> believe the pad is supposed to mantain a little contact with the rotor
> however this caliper is definitely dragging much much harder than it
> should. My question: are there different pad sizes (thickness)for the
> ghia calipers ( these are VW factory calpiers)? or it may not even
> matter if I put a thinner pad in there. Shouldn't the piston inside the
> caliper release pressure? These brakes only have a few hundred miles
> so I'm inclined to believe there is an explanation besides worn parts.
> The pads are virtually new. I ceaned up everything nicely, reassembled
> and they still drag, just as much as before. Anyone with any ideas?
> Thanks.
>
> Joel Bartlett

Yes, the piston exerts slight pressure on the pad, just enough
to keep the piston from having to travel very far to energize
the brakes.

That piston may be stuck in its bore. Not uncommon.
With a suitable lever between the pad and rotor,
you should be able to push the piston back in
with very little pressure.

If the pad is so thick that the piston is *already*
all the way in, then this is not a fair test.
Substitute something (block wood, etc.) thinner
than the pad and try again. I don't like to use
tools directly against the piston because of possible
damage to seals.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 16th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"jtbartlett" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am haveing a spot of trouble with my front disk brakes. The disk
> brake kit is on a 65 sedan with dual master cylinder. The front
> passenger side is not releasing from the rotor. It drags all the time
> and gets hot enough to sieze the rotor in place until it cools. I
> believe the pad is supposed to mantain a little contact with the rotor
> however this caliper is definitely dragging much much harder than it
> should. My question: are there different pad sizes (thickness)for the
> ghia calipers ( these are VW factory calpiers)? or it may not even
> matter if I put a thinner pad in there. Shouldn't the piston inside the
> caliper release pressure? These brakes only have a few hundred miles
> so I'm inclined to believe there is an explanation besides worn parts.
> The pads are virtually new. I ceaned up everything nicely, reassembled
> and they still drag, just as much as before. Anyone with any ideas?
> Thanks.
>
> Joel Bartlett

did you replace the rubber flex lines when you put the kit on? i know they
usualy come with them, but doesn't hurt to ask.....i'd say your problem is
either a bad hose or a caliper that is sticking....not pad thickness....if
you got the caliper and pads over the rotor you are good....

Old August 17th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jtbartlett

Calipers and pads are over the rotor but there's not enough clearance
and they drag badly.. Piston is not releasing pressure and sticking.
So...I'm shopping for a new one. I am thinking if I have a soft pedal
and air somewhere in the lines maybe it won't pull back until the air
is out of the line. I need to wrangle my wife into brake bleeder
assistant. Should be a blast. Thanks for the replies.

Joel Bartlett

Old August 18th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"jtbartlett" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Calipers and pads are over the rotor but there's not enough clearance
> and they drag badly.. Piston is not releasing pressure and sticking.
> So...I'm shopping for a new one. I am thinking if I have a soft pedal
> and air somewhere in the lines maybe it won't pull back until the air
> is out of the line. I need to wrangle my wife into brake bleeder
> assistant. Should be a blast. Thanks for the replies.
>

> Joel Bartlett

the piston doesn't "pull back" at all...the piston is only pushed slightly
back by the rotor itself...it will always remain in slight contact with the
rotor, unless the rotor is warped....