AC Blower motor failure

Old August 8th 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Frost

Default AC Blower motor failure

I have an E39 528iT. It is an American market car with the dual zone
HVAC controls. When I start it with the A/C on (hot humid climate) the
blower will run porperly for about 2-3 minutes, and then suddenly stop
for 2-3 minutes. It will continue this cycle ad infinitum. The A/C coil
is still cold, you can drive the car with the back windows cracked down
at speed, and the vent system will draw in chilled air from the outside
through the chiller coil. The problem is totally independent of any
setting in the HVAC control head. Anybody got an idea?

Old August 8th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

Frost wrote:
> I have an E39 528iT. It is an American market car with the dual zone
> HVAC controls. When I start it with the A/C on (hot humid climate) the
> blower will run porperly for about 2-3 minutes, and then suddenly stop
> for 2-3 minutes. It will continue this cycle ad infinitum. The A/C coil
> is still cold, you can drive the car with the back windows cracked down
> at speed, and the vent system will draw in chilled air from the outside
> through the chiller coil. The problem is totally independent of any
> setting in the HVAC control head. Anybody got an idea?

So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.

Very common problem... the new one has been "improved" and hopefully
won't fail as often.

Old August 9th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Hageman

dmin wrote:

> So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
> the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
> behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.
>
> Very common problem... the new one has been "improved" and hopefully
> won't fail as often.

Wow! I was just ready to post a thread with the same problem on my 99
M3.

The fan will shut down for a couple of minutes and then return to work
properly.
When it's 110 degrees Farenheit inside the car that's no fun.

Is that part you describe for the e39 the same for the e36?

David H.

Old August 9th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Hageman

Old August 9th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Hector

"David Hageman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> dmin wrote:
>
>> So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
>> the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
>> behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.
>>
>> Very common problem... the new one has been "improved" and hopefully
>> won't fail as often.

> Wow! I was just ready to post a thread with the same problem on my 99
> M3.
>
> The fan will shut down for a couple of minutes and then return to work
> properly.
> When it's 110 degrees Farenheit inside the car that's no fun.
>
> Is that part you describe for the e39 the same for the e36?
>
> David H.

Maybe the part is not exactly the same but it performs the same function.
The final stage is nothing more than a fancy resistor circuit like the one
used in other cars, is just that the BMW part is very poorly designed and
more expensive than normal. I had the "final stage" replaced this week on
our E46.

Old August 10th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

admin wrote:
> Frost wrote:
> > I have an E39 528iT. It is an American market car with the dual zone
> > HVAC controls. When I start it with the A/C on (hot humid climate) the
> > blower will run porperly for about 2-3 minutes, and then suddenly stop
> > for 2-3 minutes. It will continue this cycle ad infinitum. The A/C coil
> > is still cold, you can drive the car with the back windows cracked down
> > at speed, and the vent system will draw in chilled air from the outside
> > through the chiller coil. The problem is totally independent of any
> > setting in the HVAC control head. Anybody got an idea?

> So a GOOGLE on "final stage" or "final stage resistor" - or just go to
> the dealer and get one. Takes about 15 minutes to install. It's located
> behind the carpeted panel on the right side of the console/tunnel.

Or the problem could be that notoriously bad capacitor (rated 47 micro
Farad)
on the circuit board. There used to be a great site that some guy put
up that gave clear instructions with pictures on where it was,
how to get to it, and how to replace it.

I went to Radio Shack, bought the $2 capacitor, some electronics-
grade solder, and did the job myself. No problems at all since!
Who knows what a dealership or shop would've charged to fix
the simple and cheap problem; I'd guess many hundreds of $,
based on experience.

I just found the link and it's dead. Too bad. There are prob.
others,
as this is such a common problem. The guys should do a little
searching.

-----
Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1,
Israel's favor.
Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1.
---------
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html
"Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We,
the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it."
---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff