Small Coolant Leak

Old April 4th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Small Coolant Leak

I have a 1993 JGC with the V8 engine. Recently it has begun to leak a fluid
out of the radiator cap. It only leaks fluid after the engine has warmed
up, and is cooling down. I was able to follow the trickle of coolant to the
radiator cap. At first I thought that the cap was bad, so I replaced it
with a new one from Checker Autoparts. That didn't seem to work, so my next
thought was that it is building up too much pressure. The only problem is
that I can't think of a reason why it would build up extra pressure. Is
this a possible sign that my water pump or radiator is dying? Or, does
anybody have another idea.

The only thing that has changed on my car was that I had the oil and
transmission fluid changed before I noticed this problem. Also, I had a new
radiator put in 2 years ago, and a new fan put in last year.

Old April 4th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Check that the hose from the radiator to the recovery bottle isn't plugged.

Old April 4th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On my 99 Wrangler I spotted similar symptoms. As it turned out, the
radiator needed to be replaced. The end caps are plastic and crack
after awhile.

Cal

Old April 4th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Your cap has 2 seals. One at the rad and one at the top lip of the
filler neck. This is so the fluid that comes out of the rad as it heats
up is contained at the top lip and sent to the overflow bottle. Then
when it cools down, the top lip seal holds so it sucks fluid back to the
rad.

I would suspect either a deformed top lip on the rad or a leak at the
overflow tube or a leak a the neck to rad joint.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 4th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

YouGoFirst wrote:
> I have a 1993 JGC with the V8 engine. Recently it has begun to leak a fluid
> out of the radiator cap. It only leaks fluid after the engine has warmed
> up, and is cooling down. I was able to follow the trickle of coolant to the
> radiator cap. At first I thought that the cap was bad, so I replaced it
> with a new one from Checker Autoparts. That didn't seem to work, so my next
> thought was that it is building up too much pressure. The only problem is
> that I can't think of a reason why it would build up extra pressure. Is
> this a possible sign that my water pump or radiator is dying? Or, does
> anybody have another idea.
>
> The only thing that has changed on my car was that I had the oil and
> transmission fluid changed before I noticed this problem. Also, I had a new
> radiator put in 2 years ago, and a new fan put in last year.

All vehicles use a coolant recovery system because the coolant is toxic
to the environment. The radiator cap has two valves. The large rubber
one allows coolant to escape under pressure into the coolant bottle.
When it cools down again, vacuum in the radiator is supposed to suck the
coolant from the bottle, through the other valve (the small metal one in
the center of the rubber one) and into the radiator. In order for this
system to work, the seal between the radiator flange and the top of the
cap must be tight. Some caps use a metal plate as a seal, but the better
ones use an O-ring or rubber top plate. If your cap looks okay, check
the hose leading from the radiator to the bottle. Most use clear plastic
tubing that just slips on and it can get brittle over time and leak.

--

Bill Lahr

Old April 5th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I replaced the radiator about 2 years ago, so would the end caps have been
replaced then? If they were, then is there any way to check to make sure
that the plastic part that the cap attaches to is still flat and forms a
good seal?

ups.com...