Fastest Race Cars?

Old July 13th 05, 01:41 AM

Default Fastest Race Cars?

Hi all,

I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
abandoned all rules, what would we see?

Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.

Evan

PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.

Old July 13th 05, 02:40 AM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
> series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
> abandoned all rules, what would we see?
>
> Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?
>
> I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
>
> Evan
>
> PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
> tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.

You wrote> Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?< Almost
surely, Chrysler big-block hemis would power some of them? s

Old July 13th 05, 01:46 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
>
> Evan
>
> PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
> tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.

It would be interesting, for sure.
In a sport where speed is the goal, the authorities periodically make new
rules to slow them down.

I would like to see the turbocars return to some venue of racing, and maybe
more emphasis on
Wankels too. Maybe instead of limiting displacement (which can be
controversial in the cases
of turbines and Wankels) just limit the amount of fuel available for a
race..

I am against the F1 rules on tire changes. I think it makes the sport more
dangerous, people push
deteriorating rubber (and the wrong rubber) further than is advisable.

Old July 14th 05, 04:33 AM
Richard Bell

In article >,
ray > wrote:
wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
>> series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
>> abandoned all rules, what would we see?
>>
>> Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?
>>
>> I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
>>
>> Evan
>>
>> PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
>> tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.
>>

>well, if you're just looking for top speed, it's going to be hard to top
>a 4000+ hp Top Fuel dragster doing 330+ mph. Your average F1 car needs
>to pick up another 100mph to be close. The NHRA has already made rule
>changes to keep the speeds down in TF, otherwise they'd probably be over
>350. Oh yeah, and that's from a standing start in a quarter of a mile.

But the F1 car would win if the track was a mile long, or included a curve,
as the TF dragster would either blow its engine or attempt to vault the
barrier.

Different cars for different events. The F1 car would win the 500 mile
event on a road course.

However the rules are not necessarily to keep the speed down, but to
give the slimmest hope that the race will not go to the richest team.

Old July 14th 05, 12:51 PM

"Richard Bell" > wrote in message
> However the rules are not necessarily to keep the speed down, but to
> give the slimmest hope that the race will not go to the richest team.

It seems that the F1 races seldom go to the poorboy teams, although some
spend
a lot of money and dont get much in return.

I dont believe you can get the competitive reliability and speed that
Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, and
even Williams have achieved without spending a lot of money.

Old July 14th 05, 02:40 PM
Don Stauffer

ray wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
>> series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
>> abandoned all rules, what would we see?
>>
>> Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?
>>
>> I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
>>
>> Evan
>>
>> PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
>> tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.
>>

> well, if you're just looking for top speed, it's going to be hard to top
> a 4000+ hp Top Fuel dragster doing 330+ mph. Your average F1 car needs
> to pick up another 100mph to be close. The NHRA has already made rule
> changes to keep the speeds down in TF, otherwise they'd probably be over
> 350. Oh yeah, and that's from a standing start in a quarter of a mile.
>
> The fastest series would be racing on the biggest tracks with the best
> aerodynamics, the most horsepower, and the lowest downforce (drag.)
>
> Ray

Indeed, the track would be a dominating factor. Aside from drag racing,
where the track is specified, all other forms of racing require
cornering power. The higher the banking angle, the less cornering power
required for any given speed. So a large oval with enough banking
allows cars to run basically flat out.

If we have long races, where pit stops are required (fuel tank size
regulated) then fuel milage becomes an issue too.
Old July 14th 05, 03:09 PM
N8N

Don Stauffer wrote:
> ray wrote:
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
> >> series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
> >> abandoned all rules, what would we see?
> >>
> >> Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?
> >>
> >> I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
> >>
> >> Evan
> >>
> >> PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
> >> tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.
> >>

> > well, if you're just looking for top speed, it's going to be hard to top
> > a 4000+ hp Top Fuel dragster doing 330+ mph. Your average F1 car needs
> > to pick up another 100mph to be close. The NHRA has already made rule
> > changes to keep the speeds down in TF, otherwise they'd probably be over
> > 350. Oh yeah, and that's from a standing start in a quarter of a mile.
> >
> > The fastest series would be racing on the biggest tracks with the best
> > aerodynamics, the most horsepower, and the lowest downforce (drag.)
> >
> > Ray

> Indeed, the track would be a dominating factor. Aside from drag racing,
> where the track is specified, all other forms of racing require
> cornering power. The higher the banking angle, the less cornering power
> required for any given speed. So a large oval with enough banking
> allows cars to run basically flat out.
>
> If we have long races, where pit stops are required (fuel tank size
> regulated) then fuel milage becomes an issue too.

So does mechanical reliability. A Top Fuel "bomb" probably wouldn't
last much longer than a mile or so were it installed in, say, a Can-Am
car and run for that long (which it never is.) My understanding is
that those things run on the verge of hydrolock at WOT and are
generally rebuilt after every meet.

nate

Old July 14th 05, 05:13 PM
ray

wrote:

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I've wondered for some time what racing would be like if the fastest
>>>series' had no rules. If Can-Am, F1, Groupe C, etc...carried on and
>>>abandoned all rules, what would we see?
>>>
>>>Would open wheel cars dominate? Full bodied cars?
>>>
>>>I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.
>>>
>>>Evan
>>>
>>>PS: I should qualify that the cars in question would have to be rubber
>>>tired, internal combustion, and human controlled.
>>>

>>well, if you're just looking for top speed, it's going to be hard to top
>>a 4000+ hp Top Fuel dragster doing 330+ mph. Your average F1 car needs
>>to pick up another 100mph to be close. The NHRA has already made rule
>>changes to keep the speeds down in TF, otherwise they'd probably be over
>>350. Oh yeah, and that's from a standing start in a quarter of a mile.
>>

> But the F1 car would win if the track was a mile long, or included a curve,
> as the TF dragster would either blow its engine or attempt to vault the
> barrier.
>
> Different cars for different events. The F1 car would win the 500 mile
> event on a road course.
>
> However the rules are not necessarily to keep the speed down, but to
> give the slimmest hope that the race will not go to the richest team.

the OP asked for the FASTEST race car.
and the F1 car would be forked if there was a section of gravel and
potholes. The WRC car would fly by as the nosecone of the F1 car
smashed itself into tiny carbonfibre bits.

I like all kinds of racing for different reasons. If it has 4 wheels I
pretty much like it. Although I think NASCAR Truck racing is silly -
truck racing is offroad.

Ray
Old July 15th 05, 02:43 PM
Don Stauffer

ray wrote:.
> I like all kinds of racing for different reasons. If it has 4 wheels I
> pretty much like it. Although I think NASCAR Truck racing is silly -
> truck racing is offroad.
>
> Ray

I am not a pickup truck fan, but I do like the NASCAR trucks. I never
had the bucks to travel to the big speedways, nor the money for high
priced tickets. I attended the local short tracks. The trucks started
with most events on shorter tracks. I like short track racing, and see
no problem with a little paint- trading aggressive racing. Even when
they go to the super speedways the trucks seem more like short track
Saturday nite guys. I just kinda ignore the pickup truck shaped bodies,
and realize that like all NASCAR stuff these days, these are real race
cars, not modified stock cars.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Enthusia review (and a comparison to GT4 in places). (Long!). AndyC Simulators 4 May 17th 05 05:14 PM
Actual SIM RACING topic! Darus Simulators 7 April 27th 05 04:24 AM
Drving faster, in my experience does not make a significant change in mileage... Cory Dunkle Driving 118 February 4th 05 03:00 PM
Vintage Cars Get Hot with Makeovers Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 2 December 5th 04 04:13 AM