No voltage from O2 sensor

Old June 17th 05, 03:05 AM
largetalon

Default No voltage from O2 sensor

I am trying to replace an OEM oxygen sensor on an Eagle Talon because
the voltage readings coming from the signal wire didn't seem to be high
enough (trying to figure out why an emissions test failed).

I purchased an aftermarket Bosch sensor which needs to be spliced in
with the current connector. However even after warming up the engine
for several minutes and revving it many times, I am getting absolutely
zero voltage from the signal wire or any other wire. I exchanged it
for another one, and again, no voltage. I put the old one back in, and
immediately I see that I at least get some sort of reading that varies
with the throttle.

The shape of the sensor itself is a little different between the two,
but anyone know why I am not getting any voltage whatsover from not
one, but 2 brand new O2 sensors??

Old June 17th 05, 03:46 AM
« Paul »

largetalon wrote:

> I am trying to replace an OEM oxygen sensor on an Eagle Talon because
> the voltage readings coming from the signal wire didn't seem to be high
> enough (trying to figure out why an emissions test failed).
>
> I purchased an aftermarket Bosch sensor which needs to be spliced in
> with the current connector. However even after warming up the engine
> for several minutes and revving it many times, I am getting absolutely
> zero voltage from the signal wire or any other wire. I exchanged it
> for another one, and again, no voltage. I put the old one back in, and
> immediately I see that I at least get some sort of reading that varies
> with the throttle.
>
> The shape of the sensor itself is a little different between the two,
> but anyone know why I am not getting any voltage whatsover from not
> one, but 2 brand new O2 sensors??

Bad ground?
You could bench test it with your torch.
Look for the procedure on the web.
Old June 17th 05, 05:07 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, largetalon wrote:

> I am trying to replace an OEM oxygen sensor on an Eagle Talon because
> the voltage readings coming from the signal wire didn't seem to be high
> enough (trying to figure out why an emissions test failed).
> I purchased an aftermarket Bosch sensor

Mistake. Bosch's aftermarket O2 sensors tend to fail early and often.

Old June 17th 05, 05:05 PM
largetalon

Well I bench tested them all with a blow torch.

The new Bosch ones still show 0.00V at all times. Could it be that I
got 2 bad sensors out of the box - perhaps from a bad batch?

The old OEM sensor showed voltage readings which were not very high,
and also took forever to drop down when I removed the torch. Seems
like its bad.

So now I've 3 sensors that are no good apparently.

Old June 17th 05, 05:25 PM
Comboverfish

largetalon wrote:
> Well I bench tested them all with a blow torch.
>
> The new Bosch ones still show 0.00V at all times. Could it be that I
> got 2 bad sensors out of the box - perhaps from a bad batch?
>
> The old OEM sensor showed voltage readings which were not very high,
> and also took forever to drop down when I removed the torch. Seems
> like its bad.
>
> So now I've 3 sensors that are no good apparently.

Unless you are killing them during installation by improper/excess use
of antiseize or silicone sealer (God knows why you would use sealer on
the sensor but stranger things have happened) or you are juggling all
three sensors and have subsequently dropped them until their zirc
elements cracked, then I would listen to Daniel Stern and everyone else
regarding Bosch O2 sensors. They suck to an unbelievable degree.

Nearly every car I see with a Bosch universal O2 sensor is also
equipped with Autozone "Double Silicone" wires and neon ground effect
lights. Go figure.

Toyota MDT in MO