pulley change

Old February 4th 05, 07:46 PM

Default pulley change

I am trying to decide if I want to change the pulley on my 04 cobra. I
need to know if it's worth it: is there going to be belt slippage, how
long can I expect the charger to last due to increased demand on the
bearings due to the increased heat.

If it is done, will there be any other mods that needs to be done.

Old February 5th 05, 01:14 AM
Chris Shea

have you done any mods to it yet? i am in the same boat as you trying to
decide whether to do the pulley/tune. its my daily driver so i am kinda
leary about it, but i'm sure that it would be wild, man.

if i do do it, it will be with the 4-piece idler setup from billetflow.
from what i read, you should definetly do at least one idler to minimize
belt slip.

i have already done an intake and exhaust on my car. i would recommend at
least those mods before or with the pulley swap so that it can breathe.
(and of course also the dyno tune)

good luck with your choice. also keep in mind, the more power you make, the
more likely to break other drivetrain pieces.

chris
04 comp orange cobra vert

.com>...

Old February 5th 05, 07:37 AM
Jim Warman

Here we go again... Underdrive pulleys free up a very small amount of
power... where they shine is in cars that are subject to continuous high rpm
operation. They can reduce the chance of winding separation in the
altermator as well as reducing cavitation in the waterpump. For a daily
driver subject to leng periods of normal to low rpm operation, you can
expect poor charging system operation, possible overheating and even reduced
power steering assist at low speeds. Any serious horsepower gains will be
more placebo effect than actual........ please don't trot out the dyno tests
that show a whopping 2 horsepower gain. In a street car this is pretty much
negligable, especially in light of the downsides.

Ahhh, I can get a bigger alternator that will offset the reduced rpm.....
and the bigger alternator will chew up the appropriate amount of horsepower
to maintain charging system efficiency..... can you say "Back to square
one??"

It's not difficult to apply logic to the "don't buy" side of the
equation..... with you young'uns, the glitter of billet aluminum far
outweighs any sensible decisions.

oups.com...

Old February 5th 05, 03:19 PM
Jafo

Akshully Jim, I'm pretty sure he meant the upper blower pulley on the S/C.
Which by itself has added gobs of power.

--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

Old February 5th 05, 03:59 PM
Jafo

Adding my $0.02

Get an aftermarket chip or one of the reflashed programs like Steeda's.
More boost (depending on how small a pulley) at the least would more than
likely warrant changes to the timing. Not sure whether you'd need bigger
injectors.
As far as life of the S/C, I don't think thats a problem..although theres
not a lot of info on that, seein' as the blower has only been on the Cobras
since '03. Like any performance upgrade, it kinda depends on how much you
use the LOUD pedal.

--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

Old February 5th 05, 06:29 PM
Mark C.

Yea Jim. Can't you read?

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

. ..

Old February 5th 05, 07:02 PM
Rein

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 06:37:30 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Here we go again... Underdrive pulleys free up a very small amount of

No, we're not :-)
You are right BUT he is talking abotu the pulley's on the supercharger
on his Cobra. You can get HUGE increases by changing them. Best bang
for the buck ever.
One thing though; Make sure the AF ratios are adjusted as well. He
needs a predator that's programmed to use the extra boost.

>power... where they shine is in cars that are subject to continuous high rpm
>operation. They can reduce the chance of winding separation in the
>altermator as well as reducing cavitation in the waterpump. For a daily
>driver subject to leng periods of normal to low rpm operation, you can
>expect poor charging system operation, possible overheating and even reduced
>power steering assist at low speeds. Any serious horsepower gains will be
>more placebo effect than actual........ please don't trot out the dyno tests
>that show a whopping 2 horsepower gain. In a street car this is pretty much
>negligable, especially in light of the downsides.
>
>Ahhh, I can get a bigger alternator that will offset the reduced rpm.....
>and the bigger alternator will chew up the appropriate amount of horsepower
>to maintain charging system efficiency..... can you say "Back to square
>one??"
>
>It's not difficult to apply logic to the "don't buy" side of the
>equation..... with you young'uns, the glitter of billet aluminum far
>outweighs any sensible decisions.

roups.com...

Old February 5th 05, 09:05 PM
Jim Warman

Probably guilty as "charged"..... I'm not used to calling assemblies in this
kind of short form and took "charger" as someone forgetting what an
alternator is rather than supercharger ( a term more easily understood).

What's in a name??? Who knows what a gudgeon pin is... or a front wing....
or a demister...

You guys are just like everyone at work.... "let's pick on the old fart"....
(just kidding 8^)

As I recall, the supercharger (yes, supercharger) is underdriven to start
with. Think of it this way... A normally aspirated motor of (just for
argument) 300 cubic inches, thinks it's a 300 cubic inch motor.... at 7
pounds of boost, it thinks it's a 450 cubic inch motor and at 14.7 pounds of
boost it thinks it's a 600 cubic inch motor. Of course this doesn't take
into account atmospheric pressure variations, intake air temp or pumping
losses...

Old February 5th 05, 11:28 PM
Chris Shea

as far as breakage, the good thing is the lightning guys have been
overspinning this eaton m-112 unit for a few years and supposedly durability
problems are rare.

here's what is making me hesitate on my decision though: eaton's website
shows that the max rpm for the m-112 unit is 14,000. on a stock cobra, the
blower spins to approx 13,580 at redline. (3.65 upper, 7.625 crank). but at
redline with an aftermarket 2.80 pulley and stock lower, the blower spins to
a whopping 17,700!

does it survive because the wot runs are usually brief? that the time
spinning over 14K is so little? these are the things i am trying to learn
more about. of course i guess i could just rob a bank and go twin-screw...
=)

chris
04 comp orange cobra vert