Car Buyers Flee SUVs, Prius Sales Triple

Old May 6th 05, 09:05 AM

SoCalMike wrote:

>im sure the unions would have agreed to concessions, IF the
>top brass were willing to as well. the top brass never does.

GM is so stupid that it once announced record bonuses for its
executives just days before demanding concessions from the union
employees. It hasn't gotten any smarter since then.

Old May 6th 05, 12:40 PM
C.H.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:26:51 -0400, Magnulus wrote:

> "SoCalMike" > wrote in message
>> the "le car" wasnt necessarily bad, and the "alliance" won a few awards
>> in its time. a cow orker had a pug 505sti (i think) and it was an
>> interesting car. quirky. i remember he had to get tires special ordered.

> All I know about Peugots and Citroens is from watching rally races and
> playing rally games .

Wow. Do you know the real world from playing GTA San Andreas too?

> Still, they look like good cars.

And you determined that from some pixels on a video game screen?

Renault, Citroen and Peugeot are consistently at the very bottom end of
reliability and longevity statistics, for good reason.

> And I do remember as a kid they had Renault in the US.

Yeah, and they became almost as much of a joke as the Yugo.

Chris
Old May 6th 05, 12:46 PM
C.H.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 05:16:24 -0500, max wrote:

> We had a Citroen when my father was stationed in w. germany. Fine car,
> reliable, autobahn-fast, with a bitchin' hydraulic-pneumatic
> suspension that let you select ride height. (helpful for those alpine
> blizzards. This squawking about French car quality is little more than
> frog-bashing.

Your dad apparently was one of the few lucky ones - or your memory just
blocked all the bad stuff like memory tends to do. The french cars are not
on the bottom end of any reliability and longevity statistics for no
reason.

I bought a 5 year old Renault Le Car with a bit more than 50000 miles
for parts. When trying to jack it up to remove suspension parts, the jack
broke through the floor. The rocker panels were irreparably rusted, the
whole exhaust system fell off by itself when I loosened the first bolt,
the electrical system was shot.

I suggest you go try a french car for a while, so you can find out first
hand, that that's not frog-bashing but the simple truth.

Chris
Old May 6th 05, 02:28 PM

>GM is so stupid that it once announced record bonuses for its
>executives just days before demanding concessions from the union
>employees. It hasn't gotten any smarter since then.

wow

what year was that?
Old May 6th 05, 03:07 PM
Sam

>> There are over 40 2005 SUV models that get over 25 mpg according to the
>> Dept

of Energy. The extra money you pay for a hybrid takes 20 years to recover
because of the price of gas. People are not too smart.

My Hyundai Accent 2003 just got 40mpg on a 280 mile trip at 70-75 mph for
much of the trip. It has a gas engine only. Accent has a 10yr, 100,000
mile warranty.

The Prius has about 24 battery cells which are covered by an 8 yr warranty
and cost about $200USD per cell. IIRC, the Prius claims about 60 mpg for
the highway.

At about $12k for the Accent vs about $27k for the Prius, some Prius buyers
are not too smart.

Old May 6th 05, 03:09 PM
Rod Slow

Rod Speed wrote:
> casioculture > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>L Sternn wrote
>>
>>>casioculture > wrote

> Bull****. Thats the main current problem costs wise.
>

>>>Unions are not their only problem, but
>>>they do add to the cost of production.

> Massively, too, particularly with health care and pension costs.

Hey bowel boy, those of us who work worry about health care. Only
welfare leeches like you have no problem.

Old May 6th 05, 04:05 PM
barbie gee

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Magnulus wrote:

> "Robert Morrisette" > wrote in message
>> There are over 40 2005 SUV models that get over 25 mpg according to the

> Dept
>> of Energy. The extra money you pay for a hybrid takes 20 years to recover

> How are you figuring that? what SUV models would those be... maybe Honda
> or Toyota, not American-built SUV's.

I'm not seeing it, either:

<http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byMPG.htm>

and, getting "over 25 mpg" is no great shakes, anyway.
Old May 6th 05, 04:07 PM
barbie gee

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Sam wrote:

>>> There are over 40 2005 SUV models that get over 25 mpg according to the
>>> Dept

> of Energy. The extra money you pay for a hybrid takes 20 years to recover
> because of the price of gas. People are not too smart.
>
> My Hyundai Accent 2003 just got 40mpg on a 280 mile trip at 70-75 mph for
> much of the trip. It has a gas engine only. Accent has a 10yr, 100,000
> mile warranty.
>
> The Prius has about 24 battery cells which are covered by an 8 yr warranty
> and cost about $200USD per cell. IIRC, the Prius claims about 60 mpg for
> the highway.
>
> At about $12k for the Accent vs about $27k for the Prius, some Prius buyers
> are not too smart.

why does everyone think it's ONLY about money saved?
what about gasoline saved?
we can make more money, we can't make more oil...

Old May 6th 05, 05:17 PM
Brigid Nelson

barbie gee wrote:

>> of Energy. The extra money you pay for a hybrid takes 20 years to recover
>> because of the price of gas. People are not too smart.
>>
>> My Hyundai Accent 2003 just got 40mpg on a 280 mile trip at 70-75 mph for
>> much of the trip. It has a gas engine only. Accent has a 10yr, 100,000
>> mile warranty.
>>
>> The Prius has about 24 battery cells which are covered by an 8 yr
>> warranty
>> and cost about $200USD per cell. IIRC, the Prius claims about 60 mpg for
>> the highway.
>>
>> At about $12k for the Accent vs about $27k for the Prius, some Prius
>> buyers
>> are not too smart.

> why does everyone think it's ONLY about money saved?
> what about gasoline saved?
> we can make more money, we can't make more oil...

One word - biodiesel.

You will pay more at the pump, that is until gas prices exceed the
current 3.10 per gallon cost of biodiesel. Out here on the west coast,
that could well be this summer.

On doing some research, I've also found that some of the newer
volkswagon diesels get really good milage.

brigid
Old May 6th 05, 06:33 PM

sgtsam wrote:
> Car Buyers Flee SUVs, Prius Sales Triple
> May 4, 2005
>
> U.S. consumer interest in SUVs dropped sharply in April as people
> turned to more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Good news! I figured that gas prices would *eventually* wear
down the love affair between those behemoths and the hogs who
drive them.

--
Cliff