-- a litte more ELECTRICAL/FUSE b'ness --

Old April 13th 05, 10:21 PM
Terry

Default -- a litte more ELECTRICAL/FUSE b'ness --

I had a little thread going here a week or so ago about a situation
involving repeatedly blowing the #11 fuse in a '75 Bus.
The feedback was GREAT and a few people mentioned the hazard lights or
turn indicators as likely candidates for a short. I went out and
turned on the hazard lights and '!SNAP!' went the #7 (or 8?) fuse ...
it immediately blew with the hazard switch turned on.
Could this be related to the #11 going out over and over again? Before
flipping the hazard light switch I tried just the turn indicators and
they were weird and slow and palsied. Seems like this is the
neighborhood of the short .. or problem. On a '71 bus that I drove for
YEARS there was a little aluminum 'cube' attacked to the fuse-box that
was responsible for the on/off/on/off of the turn-lights and the hazard
lights. When that went funky both would suffer ... but a new box
simply plugged right back in would take care of it. I find no such
relay-switch-box here in my '75. Anyway ... should I just pull the
wires -- assuming I can locate/isolate them to the hazard lights? Or is
there some kind of 'relay-switch-housing' as there was on my '71 that
I'm not seeing? (where would that be?) Or ... ????
Thanks!
Terry

Old April 13th 05, 10:35 PM
Speedy Jim

Terry wrote:

> I had a little thread going here a week or so ago about a situation
> involving repeatedly blowing the #11 fuse in a '75 Bus.
> The feedback was GREAT and a few people mentioned the hazard lights or
> turn indicators as likely candidates for a short. I went out and
> turned on the hazard lights and '!SNAP!' went the #7 (or 8?) fuse ...
> it immediately blew with the hazard switch turned on.
> Could this be related to the #11 going out over and over again? Before
> flipping the hazard light switch I tried just the turn indicators and
> they were weird and slow and palsied. Seems like this is the
> neighborhood of the short .. or problem. On a '71 bus that I drove for
> YEARS there was a little aluminum 'cube' attacked to the fuse-box that
> was responsible for the on/off/on/off of the turn-lights and the hazard
> lights. When that went funky both would suffer ... but a new box
> simply plugged right back in would take care of it. I find no such
> relay-switch-box here in my '75. Anyway ... should I just pull the
> wires -- assuming I can locate/isolate them to the hazard lights? Or is
> there some kind of 'relay-switch-housing' as there was on my '71 that
> I'm not seeing? (where would that be?) Or ... ????
> Thanks!
> Terry

Fuse #8 does indeed run the Hazards.

Both Hazard and Turn Signal use the same flasher (i.e., there
is only ONE flasher). So, if Turn Signals work, the flasher
is OK. (Flasher = on/off/on/off)

AND.....Hazards and Turn Signals both use the very same
wiring and bulbs! So, if one works, the other should.

If I were to "hazard" a guess, I'd bet the switch is bad.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 13th 05, 10:43 PM
Terry

"if I were to "hazard" a guess, I'd bet the switch is bad."

and where is that switch located?
[no .. turn signals were suffering ... ]

Old April 13th 05, 11:14 PM
Speedy Jim

Terry wrote:

> "if I were to "hazard" a guess, I'd bet the switch is bad."
>
> and where is that switch located?
> [no .. turn signals were suffering ... ]

That's the red knob you pull out for 4-Way Hazards.
P/N 111 953 235G (same as Beetle)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 13th 05, 11:43 PM