how does use car warranty work? (j)

Old January 20th 05, 09:38 PM

Default how does use car warranty work? (j)

I'm thinking of buying a used Honda civic. It has a dealer
2000 miles/2 months warranty.

Let's say I want to have my timing belt replaced because it's a used
car and I don't know the previous owner's maintenance. Would the
warranty cover my request ASAP or would they only
replace only if the timing belt broke within that warranty period?

Old January 20th 05, 11:29 PM
Jafir Elkurd

You would have to ask the dealer for details. This sounds like a valid only
to that dealership warranty. Normally the timing belt isn't covered at all
under any warranty. It's considered maintenance and not a failure. Perhaps
it would be covered if it failed before the105,000 miles.

ups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 04:35 PM
y_p_w

Jafir Elkurd wrote:

> You would have to ask the dealer for details. This sounds like a valid only
> to that dealership warranty. Normally the timing belt isn't covered at all
> under any warranty. It's considered maintenance and not a failure. Perhaps
> it would be covered if it failed before the105,000 miles.

My guess is any damage from a a timing belt breaking would probably be
covered during the warranty period. However - the factory warranty
will be over by the time of the recommended timing belt replacement.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:33 PM
SoCalMike

y_p_w wrote:

> SoCalMike wrote:
>> "used honda civic" doesnt tell very much.

> You're right. Somehow I thought I saw 2000 Civic, when it was
> "2000 mile warranty". If the car is rather old, a belt might be
> in order. If it's an older model being sold for a few thousand
> bucks, I wouldn't count on the dealer doing anything.
>
> As said before, ask to see the terms of the warranty in writing.

yeah... the OP was so vague the post was pretty much worthless. kinda
like "i just bought a car... can you tell me if i need to do any
maintenance on it?"
Old January 23rd 05, 04:54 PM
Jafir Elkurd

I'd say, "Yes, you do." ;-)

> yeah... the OP was so vague the post was pretty much worthless. kinda like
> "i just bought a car... can you tell me if i need to do any maintenance on
> it?"

98 Jetta water pump...cpo warranty Woodchuck VW water cooled 3 January 7th 05 01:33 AM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 10:04 PM
Body computer; Warranty Direct , Ideas? PhilipS Alfa Romeo 2 December 21st 04 10:03 PM
Warranty question DFS BMW 8 October 14th 04 03:57 PM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 11:23 AM