Audi A4 timing belt replacement - letter from dealer

Old August 15th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
gmickflyer

Default Audi A4 timing belt replacement - letter from dealer

I have an 02 reg Audi A4 Quattro 1.9 diesel. I recently received a
letter from my dealer stating that Audi are changing the recommended
timing belt replacement from 60,000 miles to 4 years (for diesels) for
new Audis and therefore I should get my timing belt replacement done
now , and basically they won't be responsible for the consequences if I
don't. My car has only done 44,000 so this is obviously an additional
expense I hadn't accounted for. Has anyone else had a similar letter.
Should I replace the belt now, wait till the next service (probably
about 6 months/6000mls) or leave it until 60000 as stated in the
maintenance schedule for my car? It seems a bit harsh to indicate that
a part probably won't last as long as designed and nottake
responsibility for the cost of early replacment. Is this really what
Audi are saying or is my dealer just trying it on?

Old August 15th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
News Reader

"gmickflyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have an 02 reg Audi A4 Quattro 1.9 diesel. I recently received a
> letter from my dealer stating that Audi are changing the recommended
> timing belt replacement from 60,000 miles to 4 years (for diesels) for
> new Audis and therefore I should get my timing belt replacement done
> now , and basically they won't be responsible for the consequences if I
> don't. My car has only done 44,000 so this is obviously an additional
> expense I hadn't accounted for. Has anyone else had a similar letter.
> Should I replace the belt now, wait till the next service (probably
> about 6 months/6000mls) or leave it until 60000 as stated in the
> maintenance schedule for my car? It seems a bit harsh to indicate that
> a part probably won't last as long as designed and nottake
> responsibility for the cost of early replacment. Is this really what
> Audi are saying or is my dealer just trying it on?

I also received a similar Letter from the local dealer saying that Audi UK
recommend changing the timing belt on all Audi's at 4 years. It is not clear
if the belt should be changed earlier if the mileage warrants it. This
letter should have been sent out by Audi UK if they had done things
properly. My belt was changed earlier than the 80,000 miles recommended for
the 2.5 TDI as they had the engine in bits to replace the injection pump!!!.
But it was over 5 years old by then.

Peter

For independent Help with all matters Pipex
www.pipexsanctuary.co.uk/

Old August 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Peter Bell

In message . com>
"gmickflyer" > wrote:

> I have an 02 reg Audi A4 Quattro 1.9 diesel. I recently received a
> letter from my dealer stating that Audi are changing the recommended
> timing belt replacement from 60,000 miles to 4 years

[Snip]

> Is this really what Audi are saying or is my dealer just trying it on?

Yes, Audi UK (and I presume that this advice has come from the factory
in Germany) have declared that the timing belt on all cars should be
changed at 60k miles, or every four years, whichever comes sooner.

The only car that doesn't apply to, I believe, is the RS6! I was
required to pay £1100 to have the belt changed on my car at 3 years,
with only 26k miles on the clock!

--
Peter Bell -
Old January 23rd 08, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
jamr

i worked for audi as a senior technician for a lot of years and my
experiance with the pd 1.9 engines is the belt should be changed with in
the five years or 60,000 miles, due to the extra strain on belts
nowadays i have seen them starting to split within this period. i am now
a mobile mechanic and still enforce this belief, i also recomend the
water pump to be changed at the same time, again with experiance with
audi and also other manufactures, the strain with a new belt puts added
strain on the bearing and within 20,000 miles the pump will have to be
replaced which means the belt will have to be rmoved again in which case
costing you a considerable sum off money. your audi dealler are only
thinking of your wellfair and pocket and i must praise them for
contacting you and letting you know, as not all do and customers end up
with snapped belts

--
jamr
jamr's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2775

Old February 3rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
veedubin69

jamr;59164 Wrote:
> i worked for audi as a senior technician for a lot of years and my
> experiance with the pd 1.9 engines is the belt should be changed with in
> the five years or 60,000 miles, due to the extra strain on belts
> nowadays i have seen them starting to split within this period. i am now
> a mobile mechanic and still enforce this belief, i also recomend the
> water pump to be changed at the same time, again with experiance with
> audi and also other manufactures, the strain with a new belt puts added
> strain on the bearing and within 20,000 miles the pump will have to be
> replaced which means the belt will have to be rmoved again in which case
> costing you a considerable sum off money. your audi dealler are only
> thinking of your wellfair and pocket and i must praise them for
> contacting you and letting you know, as not all do and customers end up
> with snapped belts

I couldn't agree more, I have 2002 A4 with 76,000kms and the belt was
cracked at70,000kms. Yes the service is expensive but so is a new
enginge. These are interference motors, I'd rather stretch the service
bill than buy a new car. I've seen the service done before, I'd imagine
the diesel motors are similar to petrol, the front clip needs to come
off & down for the service position, and if you can afford a water pump,
do it cause it's right there, the plastic impellar on the factory
installed water pump usally fail over time, upgrade to a metal impellar
water pump, it's even cheaper than the OEM factory pump.

--
veedubin69
veedubin69's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2903

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
OEM Audi parts catalogs for sale Joe Audi 1 February 27th 06 03:17 PM
OEM Audi parts catalogs for sale Joe Audi 5 February 4th 06 02:34 AM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM