Photos of Jan and Kidd !

Old May 29th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Photos of Jan and Kidd !

....but there also good things that we didn't mention ;-)
Usually we don't talk about the good things they have because we are
protective

João

Old May 29th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

John Willis wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:32:22 GMT, "Tim Rogers" >
> scribbled this interesting note:
>

>>http://www.pbase.com/tim_in_ny/janandkidd
>>

> Well, glad he is finally here!

Me too It took a while huh

> Now, if Jan needs an automotive project, and is willing to pay for gas
> both ways, as well as the car(s), Scott and I might be convinced to
> deliver one or two Beetles to him. If Kidd will allow...

Hmmm... once we have moved and have a bigger house and larger yard..
that's the plan, hehe

> Glad to have you on this side of the Pond, Jan. Surely it won't take
> you too long to get Kidd whipped into shape?!:~)

Yea, any day now. lol

Jan
Old May 29th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Tim Rogers wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> Nice to know, that things are moving.
>
> I also have the same issues. All my wife issues have priority 1 (very
> urgent) even if I'm under the car holding the engine LOL.
> Of course Jan doesn't have this kind of issues...
>
> João
>

> ..............Ha Ha.........Oh yes he does!

LOL

I admit, I'm whipped

The first priorities so far have been fixing her car... and installing
new speakers. When she's not around, I get to work on my Jeep..

Jan
Old May 29th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

>> Remco, I have to agree with you...by the way have you starting to paint
>> your beetle's pan? The temperature here is about 37ºC so you wouldn't
>>have those types of issues :-)
>>This is getting to hot to work.

>Right now it is a nice 27ºC - perfect for working. Of course, I am now
>also replacing my back fence, then have to replace my back porch and my
>wife want me to build a wood deck out back (it is that priority thing I
>mentioned before
>
>Remco

<Sigh>

Only 14C daytime and about 4C @ night..
And it rains almost for a whole week.....

27C sounds like music in my ears 'cause there's a ACVW meeting coming up
16th of june. I know 2 weeks from now is hard to predict but with the
weather going on like it is, it is prety nasty.
Well, one way to turn a swap meet into a swamp meet 8-)

How is your paint stripping Remco?

Roger

Old May 29th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

bug '59 wrote:
> >> Remco, I have to agree with you...by the way have you starting to paint
> >> your beetle's pan? The temperature here is about 37ºC so you wouldn't
> >>have those types of issues :-)
> >>This is getting to hot to work.

> >Right now it is a nice 27ºC - perfect for working. Of course, I am now
> >also replacing my back fence, then have to replace my back porch and my
> >wife want me to build a wood deck out back (it is that priority thing I
> >mentioned before
> >
> >Remco

> <Sigh>
>
> Only 14C daytime and about 4C @ night..
> And it rains almost for a whole week.....
>
> 27C sounds like music in my ears 'cause there's a ACVW meeting coming up
> 16th of june. I know 2 weeks from now is hard to predict but with the
> weather going on like it is, it is prety nasty.
> Well, one way to turn a swap meet into a swamp meet 8-)
>
> How is your paint stripping Remco?
>
> Roger

Spring in Connecticut is like summer in Holland.
When I first came here I thought it was just too hot and lasted too
long until I lived through my first July/August (it gets over 38C
then). I'm used to it now -- all I have to remember is that I need sun
block lotion and sunglasses.
We're having some nice bug shows coming up that I am also looking
forward to. I love summer.

Paint stripping is coming along nicely. I started with areas that were
suspect, using this household cleaner that strips paint quite well.
(different story: someone's wife on theSamba found it stripped paint by
accident - it works great, is cheap and is not particularly nasty
stuff).
I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and strip the whole thing.
I'll first try and fix problem areas (at least it has paint on it now,
protecting it somewhat).

Remco

Old May 30th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >...but there also good things that we didn't mention ;-)

> you *sure*?

I think so...

I'll ask my wife after she comes home.

Old May 30th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Remco" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >...but there also good things that we didn't mention ;-)

>> you *sure*?

> I think so...
>

> I'll ask my wife after she comes home.

LOL....I can't ask my wife, she has forbidden me to speak...<G>

Old May 30th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

bug '59 wrote:
> Paint stripping is coming along nicely. I started with areas that were
> suspect, using this household cleaner that strips paint quite well.
> (different story: someone's wife on theSamba found it stripped paint by
> accident - it works great, is cheap and is not particularly nasty
> stuff).
> I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and strip the whole thing.
> I'll first try and fix problem areas (at least it has paint on it now,
> protecting it somewhat).
>
> Remco
>

> Yeah, i read your post about it earlier...
> Sounds wonderfull!
> The reason i ask is because i found some blisters in my suposendly pristeen
> paintjob
> I got it painted early 2001 by a known and respected body shop in the
> neighbourhood.
> I guess they 1: didn't prep it the right way, or..
> 2: didn't sand it down to bare metal in those area's
>
> Anyway; i do need to paint my car next winter and am looking for an
> easy/quick way to get to bare metal.
> My only concern is, how will the paint react on metal that has been stripped
> from paint the toxic way?
> You guessed it, i will follow your moves closely the next 6 months
>
> Roger

That SUCKS! Sorry to hear that. Will you be painting the whole car
again or just take the bad sections down to the metal?

I am not any kind of body expert. Body work is new to me and am just
learning as I go. In other words, be careful what example you follow: a
stranded ship serves as a beacon to others.

The stripper I am using is not caustic as far as I can tell. Not sure
if you can get it in Holland, but here they call it "Dawn Power
Dissolver" - Dawn is the brand name that makes cleaners for around the
house like dishwasher detergent, etc.
Also having furniture restoration as a hobby, I've used nasty strippers
and this stuff is great: it does not smell bad nor stings when you get
some on your skin. The cheap coat of paint that is on the car now
almost falls off with this Dawn stuff. It does not remove bondo (that
would have been really nice

First I'm going to work on the suspected bad spots and will leave the
paint on most of the car. After those sections are repaired, I might
get it all media blasted.
The work will be done in bitesize chunks because it may obviously take
a while - don't want to strip the car down to have it sit bare too
long.

I'd like to learn to paint the car myself so am debating what kind of
HVLP set up to get. Those turbine HVLP systems seem to be the weapon of
choice - toying aroun with one, the control you have with those guns is
quite nice.
I've played with regular compressed air HVLP guns hooked up to my
compressor and they work well enough for furniture purposes but that's
usually quite forgiving work. From what I've been told, that set up
would most likely not be adequate for painting a car.

That's the plan. Hopefully not too many things will go awry

Remco

Old May 30th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> The stripper I am using

Remco - I thought better of you !!!!

Rich

Old May 30th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

If y'all don't end this threat pretty soon, I'm gonna post of picture of me
and Molly. That shoud do it.

peace,
john