found one problem, up to the next

Old May 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default found one problem, up to the next

Hi all,

some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil,
I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back.
Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the
second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the
time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the bad
start problem.

Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the
culprit.
Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil again
and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.

After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb
(30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on bottom
of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking and thus
at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were too big
so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a
fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on top of
the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the
manifold).

How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that is
not possible, is it??

Any insight are greatly appreciated
Roger

Old May 10th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

bug '59 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil,
> I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back.
> Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the
> second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the
> time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the bad
> start problem.
>
> Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the
> culprit.
> Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil again
> and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.
>
> After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb
> (30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on bottom
> of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking and thus
> at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were too big
> so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a
> fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on topof
> the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the
> manifold).
>
> How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that is
> not possible, is it??
>
> Any insight are greatly appreciated
> Roger

Could it be that the fuel pump is leaking such that it come in through
that push rod going into the engine?

Remco

Old May 10th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Remco wrote:
> bug '59 wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil,
> > I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back.
> > Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the
> > second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the
> > time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the bad
> > start problem.
> >
> > Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the
> > culprit.
> > Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil again
> > and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.
> >
> > After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb
> > (30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on bottom
> > of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking andthus
> > at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were toobig
> > so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a
> > fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on top of
> > the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the
> > manifold).
> >
> > How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that is
> > not possible, is it??
> >
> > Any insight are greatly appreciated
> > Roger

> Could it be that the fuel pump is leaking such that it come in through
> that push rod going into the engine?
>
> Remco

Btw, with "pushrod" I mean that thing that actuates the pump - forgot
what that thing is called.

Old May 10th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Oops -- just noticed that I misread your message.

Sorry. Ignore my other messages, if you hadn't already

Old May 10th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Old May 10th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Michael Cecil" > schreef in bericht
> On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:59:19 +0200, "bug '59"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil,
>>I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back.
>>Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the
>>second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the
>>time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the
>>bad
>>start problem.
>>
>>Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the
>>culprit.
>>Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil
>>again
>>and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.
>>
>>After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb
>>(30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on
>>bottom
>>of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking and
>>thus
>>at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were too
>>big
>>so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a
>>fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on top
>>of
>>the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the
>>manifold).
>>
>>How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that
>>is
>>not possible, is it??
>>
>>Any insight are greatly appreciated
>>Roger

> You're sure it's not coming from the generator stand or out of the fan
> housing somehow? Maybe warm it up, clean it off and run it for a while in
> the driveway to see where the oil is coming from?
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

that is indeed a very good possibility. I will look in to it later this week
when i will drive it again.. thank you!
Roger

Old May 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Remco" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
>Oops -- just noticed that I misread your message.

>Sorry. Ignore my other messages, if you hadn't already

Well to be honnest, not such a bad thought... however (you read it already)
It is on top of the fuelpump and on the bottom of the carb.
I will check it anyway, just to be sure.
Thanks,
Roger

Old May 13th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Michael Cecil" > schreef in bericht
> On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:59:19 +0200, "bug '59"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>some of you might remember me having a gas smel in the engine oil,
>>I've replaced the oil, but after maybe 100/150km the smel was back.
>>Also, when i started the bug it fired up and died immediately, after the
>>second start she fired right up and kept running... this happened all the
>>time after a cold start, so my idea was; the fuelsmel was related to the
>>bad
>>start problem.
>>
>>Had a fuelpump changed once for a crappy Brazilian so this must be the
>>culprit.
>>Overhauled the original one and putted it back on in. Changed the oil
>>again
>>and behold.... no fuelsmel anymore but still hard to start.
>>
>>After washing the bug i checked the enginebay and saw the carb
>>(30pict1)dripping from what i believe the idlejet (big brass bold on
>>bottom
>>of bowl) on the manifold. Hmmm, water? No way! The carb was leaking and
>>thus
>>at a cold start empty. All the new gaskets i have for that jet were too
>>big
>>so i refitted it with the old one tightening it real good. Now i have a
>>fuelfree (on the outside) carb and fuelpump. However i do find oil on top
>>of
>>the fuelpump ánd at the bottom of the carb (the place bolted to the
>>manifold).
>>
>>How is that possible?? Is it oil from the air-cleaner oilbath? imho that
>>is
>>not possible, is it??
>>
>>Any insight are greatly appreciated
>>Roger

> You're sure it's not coming from the generator stand or out of the fan
> housing somehow? Maybe warm it up, clean it off and run it for a while in
> the driveway to see where the oil is coming from?
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Looked at the engine this weekend, and found out that there was only a small
amount of oil on the fuelpump lit, mostly dried in/up. Cleaned all up anyway
and i didn't find any oil leaking while engine was running. Maybe it only
happens when driving but i have a feeling it is pretty much gone now..
Let's hope i spilled some when changing the oil and that got splashed around

Thanks for your help
Roger