Replacing all cooling hoses on my Altima?

Old March 13th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

Default Replacing all cooling hoses on my Altima?

Hiya,

My Altima has 94,000 miles on it
and sometimes I can smell coolant
boiling on the engine block.

I can't find any drip on the floor
nor any change in the overflow tank.
So I know the leak is very minor so
far.

Is it best just to replace all the
hoses to try to fix the problem? Is
that the general idea when you have
a nine year old car with high miles?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 13th 15, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 19:31:08 -0700 (PDT), geo pearl
> wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>My Altima has 94,000 miles on it
>and sometimes I can smell coolant
>boiling on the engine block.
>
>I can't find any drip on the floor
>nor any change in the overflow tank.
>So I know the leak is very minor so
>far.
>
>Is it best just to replace all the
>hoses to try to fix the problem? Is
>that the general idea when you have
>a nine year old car with high miles?
>
>Thanks in advance.

You replace hoses when they need replacing. You need to find the leak
first, and then you can decide if you want, or need, to replace the
hoses. You don't want to spend the time and money replacing all the
hoses, and then find out that you need a major repair for the coolant
leak.
Old March 13th 15, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 3/12/2015 4:31 PM, geo pearl wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> My Altima has 94,000 miles on it
> and sometimes I can smell coolant
> boiling on the engine block.
>
> I can't find any drip on the floor
> nor any change in the overflow tank.
> So I know the leak is very minor so
> far.
>
> Is it best just to replace all the
> hoses to try to fix the problem? Is
> that the general idea when you have
> a nine year old car with high miles?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It depends. If you're like me, you'd wait until the problem becomes
obvious. If you're the nervous type, changing the hoses might help ease
your mind.

Me, I like excitement!
Old March 13th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:40:23 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 3/12/2015 4:31 PM, geo pearl wrote:
>> Hiya,
>>
>> My Altima has 94,000 miles on it
>> and sometimes I can smell coolant
>> boiling on the engine block.
>>
>> I can't find any drip on the floor
>> nor any change in the overflow tank.
>> So I know the leak is very minor so
>> far.
>>
>> Is it best just to replace all the
>> hoses to try to fix the problem? Is
>> that the general idea when you have
>> a nine year old car with high miles?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>It depends. If you're like me, you'd wait until the problem becomes
>obvious. If you're the nervous type, changing the hoses might help ease
>your mind.
>
>Me, I like excitement!

What's the schedule for changing the hoses? I've never let mine go
for 94,000 miles. He can find the leak by using a cheap radiator
coolant dye. Might well be a hose leaking, but he'll find out.
Old March 14th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 3/13/2015 12:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:40:23 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/12/2015 4:31 PM, geo pearl wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> My Altima has 94,000 miles on it
>>> and sometimes I can smell coolant
>>> boiling on the engine block.
>>>
>>> I can't find any drip on the floor
>>> nor any change in the overflow tank.
>>> So I know the leak is very minor so
>>> far.
>>>
>>> Is it best just to replace all the
>>> hoses to try to fix the problem? Is
>>> that the general idea when you have
>>> a nine year old car with high miles?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> It depends. If you're like me, you'd wait until the problem becomes
>> obvious. If you're the nervous type, changing the hoses might help ease
>> your mind.
>>
>> Me, I like excitement!

> What's the schedule for changing the hoses? I've never let mine go
> for 94,000 miles. He can find the leak by using a cheap radiator
> coolant dye. Might well be a hose leaking, but he'll find out.

My schedule is to not fix it if it ain't broke. That's probably not too
smart if you're talking about timing belts though. My Subaru had a belt
that broke on me. It was supposed to be changed at 60K miles but it
broke at 61K miles. Those Subaru engineers are amazing!