waterless radiator coolant

Old March 2nd 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default waterless radiator coolant

On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
heat of the patented sythetic potion.
As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
for coolants.

Old March 2nd 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
>Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
>get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
>heat of the patented sythetic potion.
>As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
>Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
>methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
>for coolants.

Well, you could in fact just use pure glycol, 100% prestone with no dilution,
and have a waterless coolant. I don't know what that would buy you unless
you're in antarctica, though.
--scott
Old March 2nd 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 3/2/2015 8:25 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
>> Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
>> get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
>> heat of the patented sythetic potion.
>> As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
>> Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
>> methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
>> for coolants.

> Well, you could in fact just use pure glycol, 100% prestone with no dilution,
> and have a waterless coolant. I don't know what that would buy you unless
> you're in antarctica, though.
> --scott

Adding water to ethylene glycol suppresses the freezing point
of the solution to a lower temperature than that of pure glycol.
Old March 2nd 15, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
> Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
> get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
> heat of the patented sythetic potion.
> As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
> Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
> methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
> for coolants.

Waterless coolants are used in applications where you don't want water
in the system. Also some liquid cooled motorcycles run it because the
lack of water means you get less corrosion and less chance for steam
cavitation.

I run Evans in my Yamaha Venture to eliminate cooling issues. It shows
much better overall cooling with no hot spot effects like I was getting
with conventional coolant. I've seen no electrolytic deterioration of
materials either. With conventional coolant they tend to run very hot in
stop/go type traffic, to the point that people install cooling fan
override switches to run the fan full time.

I know several Wing riders who run it as well, for the same reasons.

The main reasons water is used as a coolant are simple - it's cheap,
plentiful, and it works to an extent, BUT it needs additives to make it
usable year around and to increase it's boiling point so it can be used
in a closed system.

--
Steve W.
Old March 4th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 3/2/2015 6:54 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:02:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
>> Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
>> get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
>> heat of the patented sythetic potion.
>> As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
>> Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
>> methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
>> for coolants.

> Last time I looked into it the only significant advantage I could see
> over regular coolant was that it had a much higher boiling point. That
> let you run the engine at much higher temperatures without fear of it
> boiling over, either a general boil over, or little boiling hotspots
> at the really really hot spots inside the engine. The stuff was so
> expensive it wasn't worth it to satisfy my curiosity.

OTOH, I like the idea of having a non-pressurized cooling system. You
never quite forget your first time - the first time you open the
radiator cap on a system that's under pressure, that is! :-)
Old March 5th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 2:01:07 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/2/2015 6:54 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:02:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:
> >
> >> On a 4WD program on community access TV, there was some dude spruiking this product. Sounded like bulk technobabble.
> >> Rather expensive, and you have to use a dewatering flush first, so
> >> get a fatter wallet.I looked at website, and it does not state the specific
> >> heat of the patented sythetic potion.
> >> As far as I know, there is not much with better specific heat than water.
> >> Liquid ammonia does, but not much use in hot engines. Adding sugar or
> >> methanol improves the specific heat of water. Also probably not good
> >> for coolants.

> > Last time I looked into it the only significant advantage I could see
> > over regular coolant was that it had a much higher boiling point. That
> > let you run the engine at much higher temperatures without fear of it
> > boiling over, either a general boil over, or little boiling hotspots
> > at the really really hot spots inside the engine. The stuff was so
> > expensive it wasn't worth it to satisfy my curiosity.
> >

> OTOH, I like the idea of having a non-pressurized cooling system. You
> never quite forget your first time - the first time you open the
> radiator cap on a system that's under pressure, that is! :-)

Use a rag and keep your head out of the way and slowwwwly turn the radiator cap counter clock wise one notch.
Old March 5th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 7:19:44 AM UTC-10, JR wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 2:01:07 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Last time I looked into it the only significant advantage I could see
> > > over regular coolant was that it had a much higher boiling point. That
> > > let you run the engine at much higher temperatures without fear of it
> > > boiling over, either a general boil over, or little boiling hotspots
> > > at the really really hot spots inside the engine. The stuff was so
> > > expensive it wasn't worth it to satisfy my curiosity.
> > >

> > OTOH, I like the idea of having a non-pressurized cooling system. You
> > never quite forget your first time - the first time you open the
> > radiator cap on a system that's under pressure, that is! :-)

> Use a rag and keep your head out of the way and slowwwwly turn the radiator cap counter clock wise one notch.

These days I just squeeze the upper radiator hose to check the pressure and wait if it's too hot. These days, I got more patience. The rag method would work well for young whippersnappers what can't wait. :-)

Coolant Loss: Radiator Cap ? Bob[_53_] Technology 17 January 4th 13 05:02 PM
Radiator Coolant Level lagman Technology 1 December 6th 07 03:04 PM
Flush the Radiator Coolant? Brian Foster Jeep 23 February 4th 06 06:47 PM
Radiator coolant Fijoy George Honda 4 August 10th 05 04:21 PM
radiator coolant 97 xlt followup fogdog Ford Explorer 4 March 31st 05 07:43 AM