Low Temp Lubricant For Gas Cover Plate

Old February 16th 15, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Low Temp Lubricant For Gas Cover Plate

Hello,

Looking for a suggestion as to what Brand and actual product to purchase.

It's been cold, really cold up here the last few days.
Sub zero !

The Cover the covers up the gas filler receptacle doesn't always release.
I do not think the problem is between the dash release lever, or the
cable leading to it.

I think it is the release catch and/or the hinge at the cover itself.

So, looking for a preventive lube that I can coat these parts with
that would still lubricate at these temps.

Not a product to release or defrost something already frozen, but
something to prevent and keep lubricated at low temps.

A spray, I think, with a small tube to direct the spray (like the WD-40
product always seems to come with, with their spray cans) would probably
be best.

Thanks,
Bob

what should I buy ?

---

Old February 16th 15, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking for a suggestion as to what Brand and actual product to purchase.
>
> It's been cold, really cold up here the last few days.
> Sub zero !
>
> The Cover the covers up the gas filler receptacle doesn't always release.
> I do not think the problem is between the dash release lever, or the
> cable leading to it.
>
> I think it is the release catch and/or the hinge at the cover itself.
>
> So, looking for a preventive lube that I can coat these parts with
> that would still lubricate at these temps.
>
> Not a product to release or defrost something already frozen, but
> something to prevent and keep lubricated at low temps.
>
> A spray, I think, with a small tube to direct the spray (like the WD-40
> product always seems to come with, with their spray cans) would probably
> be best.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> what should I buy ?
>
> ---

Powdered graphite or other dry lube would be better.

--
Steve W.
Old February 16th 15, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Bob > wrote:

>The Cover the covers up the gas filler receptacle doesn't always release.
>I do not think the problem is between the dash release lever, or the
>cable leading to it.
>
>I think it is the release catch and/or the hinge at the cover itself.
>
>So, looking for a preventive lube that I can coat these parts with
>that would still lubricate at these temps.

The traditional low temp lubricants are dry teflon spray and graphite.
Both, being solids, don't thicken at low temperature.

Another thing you might consider is Blue Streak distributor grease,
which is a silicone-based grease that seems to work well at very low
and very high temperatures. No spray can, though. Or Dow #33.
--scott