Sebring ticking transmission

Old April 25th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mac Cool

Default Sebring ticking transmission

My neighbor noticed that my '99 Sebring jxi ticks when you put the car in
gear. Is that normal?

--
Mac Cool
Old April 26th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Mac Cool > wrote:

> My neighbor noticed that my '99 Sebring jxi ticks when you put the car in
> gear. Is that normal?

My wife's does that when in drive and stopped at a traffic light.
It didn't when newer and is a very annoying noise so she puts it in
neutral.
It started at about 20K miles.
Old April 26th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mac Cool

Some O:

>> My neighbor noticed that my '99 Sebring jxi ticks when you put the
>> car in gear. Is that normal?

> My wife's does that when in drive and stopped at a traffic light.
> It didn't when newer and is a very annoying noise so she puts it in
> neutral.
> It started at about 20K miles.

My car has a little over 35k. I don't hear it from inside the car so I
didn't notice it until my neighbor told me about it.

--
Mac Cool
Old April 26th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Mac Cool wrote:

> My neighbor noticed that my '99 Sebring jxi ticks when you put the car in
> gear. Is that normal?

You're probably hearing the variable-duty-cycle solenoids that modulate
hydraulic pressure under computer control. Chrysler (and other brand)
transmissions that use this control mechanism have a characteristic
"Bzzzzzzz-tick tick tick!" sound as you move the selector lever into
gear, or as the car slows to a stop at a light.

When you STOP hearing that sound... then worry!

If you're talking about an engine-speed "ticking" that doesnt' stop and
continues as long as the car is in gear, that is something else and
might need attention.
Old April 27th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> If you're talking about an engine-speed "ticking" that doesnt' stop and
> continues as long as the car is in gear, that is something else and
> might need attention.

A bit more on my wife's 2001 2.7L V6 Sebring ticking or more like a
rattle to me.

Driving with her today I observed the following:
-It occurs most of the time, but not 100% of the time, when in drive and
at a stop.
-If I move the gear shift around a bit, but always leaving it in drive,
the noise can be stopped. Moving side to side has the most affect.
-It seems to be getting slightly louder and more frequent.
-It doesn't occur when in neutral.
Old May 1st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Some O wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve > wrote:
>

>>If you're talking about an engine-speed "ticking" that doesnt' stop and
>>continues as long as the car is in gear, that is something else and
>>might need attention.

> A bit more on my wife's 2001 2.7L V6 Sebring ticking or more like a
> rattle to me.
>
> Driving with her today I observed the following:
> -It occurs most of the time, but not 100% of the time, when in drive and
> at a stop.
> -If I move the gear shift around a bit, but always leaving it in drive,
> the noise can be stopped. Moving side to side has the most affect.
> -It seems to be getting slightly louder and more frequent.
> -It doesn't occur when in neutral.

That sounds like a rattle in the linkage or shifter somewhere, nothing
to do with the transmission at all.
Old May 1st 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> Some O wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Steve > wrote:
> >

> >>If you're talking about an engine-speed "ticking" that doesnt' stop and
> >>continues as long as the car is in gear, that is something else and
> >>might need attention.

> > A bit more on my wife's 2001 2.7L V6 Sebring ticking or more like a
> > rattle to me.
> >
> > Driving with her today I observed the following:
> > -It occurs most of the time, but not 100% of the time, when in drive and
> > at a stop.
> > -If I move the gear shift around a bit, but always leaving it in drive,
> > the noise can be stopped. Moving side to side has the most affect.
> > -It seems to be getting slightly louder and more frequent.
> > -It doesn't occur when in neutral.

> That sounds like a rattle in the linkage or shifter somewhere, nothing
> to do with the transmission at all.

I hope you're right.
I was planning to look into that possibility just in case, now you've
given me the incentive to poke around.
Old May 3rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

the solenoid pacs are well known for making a clicking nosie easily heard from
outside the car

Old May 3rd 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

Will that cause any damage, other than bothering the driver?

Old May 3rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

no. it is considered normal when you don't hear it you better start worrying