2006 Passat Transmission Troubles???

Old October 28th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Default 2006 Passat Transmission Troubles???

I bought a new 2006 Passat 2.0T back in May of 2006. For the most part
it is a wonderful car. It rides a little noisy, but I corrected that
slightly by reducing the pressure in the tires to the normal 33 psi
rather than the 39 psi the dealer had put in. Anyway, that's not
really why I'm writing this posting. Lately what I have noticed is
that there are some strange things happening with the transmission.

I sit in a lot of traffic. This means the car is constantly going from
1st gear to 2nd gear and back again (yes traffic is that bad in the
Philly burbs). Here's the weird thing. When the car is in 2nd gear
and I take my foot off the gas and then back on again quickly, I hear a
clunk. It does it just about every time. I've taken it to the dealer
and they say the transmission is operating normally, but I have a tough
time believing them. I've never owned a 4-cylinder car before, or a
foreign car for that matter, let alone one with a 6-speed transmission.
Is this kind of behavior normal with this type of car? Should I take
it back to the dealer until they figure out what is going on? They say
they can't seem to recreate the problem, which I hear a lot from
dealers these days. I'm actually just hoping that the car is ok and
that it is just I'm not used to this kind of car. Any help or advice
from anyone out there would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Old October 28th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

take it to the dealer and ride with the tech to show him the issue. but from
the sounds of it you may just be catching the trans in between gears or as
it shifts from gear to gear.

ups.com...

Old October 28th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

I notice that the VWs, esp. 4 cyls, usually give you SOLID shifts with the
automatics.
Not plush or un-noticeable shifts like some other vehicles unless you
accelerate at WOT.

Try driving another similar Passat to see if it feels the same as yours!

Old October 29th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rabbit TDi

If it shifts smoothly check your mounts.

Old October 29th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

check the mounts for what? it's a 2006... and they shouldn't show signs of
wear until well over 80k miles.

ups.com...

Old October 29th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rabbit TDi

If that's what you want to believe. Apparently the ATF is life long and
so is the coolant...and the timing belt isn't supposed to snap at 30K
either.

Some cars have issues. Check you mounts for damage..like cracks or
abnormal wear?

Old November 1st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Thanks to all for writing some replies with advice. I think I will
take the advice to take the car back to the dealer and have a tech go
for a ride with me. The car only has 3000 miles on it so I have a hard
time believing it could be the engine mounts, but who knows. The sound
it is making is very specific to the gear it is in and very easy to
reproduce. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't reproduce it when I took
it in the first time over this, but then again sometimes they don't
listen to how to recreate a problem. They simply said the transmission
was functioning normally and gave me the car back. I don't know if
they will let me test drive another Passat, but that may be worth a try
also just to see.

Thanks again for all the help. If anyone can think of anything else,
or has experience with the 2006 Passat, please do not hesitate to
write.

Thanks.

Old November 1st 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

try another dealer!
AND test drive another vehicle similar to yours!

Old November 3rd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Check with your dealer, as there is a bulletin which may apply to your
car/issue.

ups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Just thought I would report back some results here. I took the car
into the dealership this morning and drove a tech around. We then
compared the car to some in-stock Passats that they had. All made the
same noise. However, my car was out of date on the transmission
software, so they upgraded the software level in the transmission
module just in case that has some recent fixes. So, given that it is
recreatable in other cars I would say that the dealership is correct
that this is something normal with the new Passats, as odd as that
sounds. I guess every car has its little quirks. At least I can feel
better that I'm not damaging anything by driving it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope I can contribute in the future to
other people's questions.