No Brakes

Old May 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default No Brakes

I thought I knew how to replace brakes!
1972 mustang coupe
Brakes were working not great, but they stopped the car.
Replaced all wheel cylenders, masterbrake, shoes, drums (4 wheel drum, no
power anything) and bled them. I get no air when bleeding, refilled the
master 5 times (never letting it go dry!) and the pedal goes to the floor.
Tires in the air, someone presses on the brake wheel stops but can be
turned.
Thought I got a bad master, returned it got a new (not rebuilt) same exact
thing.
No leaks anywhere.
I've never done a four wheel drum brake system before, tons of drum\disk am
I missing something?

Old May 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Did you adjust the brakes???

. ..

Old May 28th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

yea, adjusted forget to list that one

Old May 28th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, bf81 wrote:

<garbled list deleted>

Did you bleed the master cylinder ?

Are there any leaks in the lines/fittings ?

Old May 28th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Bench bled master no leaks all lines and fittings are dry

Old May 28th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Not implying anything, sure you are not sucking in air when the brake petal
is being released?
. ..

Old May 28th 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

What's the condition of your brake hoses?

. ..

Old May 28th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Experience has taught me that a four wheel brake job without a power
bleeder is asking for problems. Either buy/rent/borrow a power bleeder
or tow to the nearest shop for bleeding. You'll never get the air out
otherwise.

Old May 30th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I agree. I should be able to bleed them "the old fashond way" but I still
get mush. Maybe the laws of physics have changed?
I orderewd a power bleeder, I'll post what happens.