Alfa 147 Excesive Oil usage

Old September 22nd 04, 05:13 PM
Duffy

Default Alfa 147 Excesive Oil usage

Hi just wondering if anyone has heard of excesive oil usage on a Alfa
147 2lt Twin Spark Lusso 57k on the clock (51 reg). I have been told
by the dealer it is using 1ltr for every 600miles. And they are
saying the warranty is null and void because the 36,000 miles service
was done at 38,000 and the 48,000 done at 55,000 however it has and
oil and filter change in between due to the excesive oil usage. and
several top ups!

What i would like to know if there are any know problems with this
engine burning / using this amount of oil, or if this can be caused by
runing the engine with low oil pressure.

Thanks for any replies or links to documentation /advice
Old September 22nd 04, 06:37 PM
Jacopo

It's normal that Twin Spark engines use a little bit more oil than others,
however, if the oil usage is very high try to use a more dense oil. A friend
of mine, which has the 147 Selespeed had the same problem; he resolved by
filling Bardahl XTC C60 instead of the standard Selenia. I use Bardahl too
(BM7) and, in 32k miles a drop of oil wasn't burned at all.

--
Jacopo
Prato, Italia

om...

Old September 22nd 04, 07:07 PM
SteveH

Jacopo > wrote:

> It's normal that Twin Spark engines use a little bit more oil than others,
> however, if the oil usage is very high try to use a more dense oil. A friend
> of mine, which has the 147 Selespeed had the same problem; he resolved by
> filling Bardahl XTC C60 instead of the standard Selenia. I use Bardahl too
> (BM7) and, in 32k miles a drop of oil wasn't burned at all.

Selenia is as weak as British lager ;-)

I tried it in my 33 16v and it literally ****ed it out the exhaust.
Switched to a bog-standard Castrol Magnatec and all was fine.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old September 23rd 04, 10:27 AM
Tom Boltwood

> From: (Duffy)
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: 22 Sep 2004 09:13:23 -0700
> Subject: Alfa 147 Excesive Oil usage
>
> Hi just wondering if anyone has heard of excesive oil usage on a Alfa
> 147 2lt Twin Spark Lusso 57k on the clock (51 reg). I have been told
> by the dealer it is using 1ltr for every 600miles. And they are
> saying the warranty is null and void because the 36,000 miles service
> was done at 38,000 and the 48,000 done at 55,000 however it has and
> oil and filter change in between due to the excesive oil usage. and
> several top ups!
>
> What i would like to know if there are any know problems with this
> engine burning / using this amount of oil, or if this can be caused by
> runing the engine with low oil pressure.
>
> Thanks for any replies or links to documentation /advice

IIRC Alfa say normal usage is anything up to 1l per 1000km which is about
600 miles, so you are on the edge of what's considered okay. I'd try a
thicker oil as the others suggested and see if that helps.