Poor Milage

Old February 27th 05, 08:12 PM
linda grommon

Default Poor Milage

Have a new 3.3 Lt. Dodge carvan. Not getting the sticker advertised
milage. Said 26 hwy getting 22. Any suggestions?

Old February 27th 05, 08:52 PM
maxpower

You probably wont. and theres nothing wrong with your vehicle either.
Driving conditions, fuel and all that come into factor.

Old February 27th 05, 09:35 PM
Shades

They do MPG tests in perfect condition and list the highest achieved as
the rating.

Old February 27th 05, 10:28 PM
w_tom

For example, if you are buying gasoline only on price, then
you are probably paying more for the gas. Discount brands may
cost 5% less, but without the necessary additives, they tend
to get about 8 or 13% less MPG. Furthermore, it usually takes
at least four full tanks of the better gasoline to make the
gas mileage improve.

I routinely get the highway MPG on mixed suburban driving.
But then I have learned how much MPG destruction come from
'bean counter' selection of gasolines, excessive use of brake,
etc. Since I record and survey every fillup, then I identify
factors that seriously degrade gas mileage. #1 on that list
is buying gasoline according to price - and not according to
value. Any yes, I was even able to identify a gas station
that caused fuel injector damage and another that was shorting
what they claimed to pump.

If you are buying gas from the 7/11 type store, well expect
a 10% less MPG. Furthermore calculate using numbers from
consecutive tanks - at least 3 consecutive fillups. Some
owners assumed they got higher or lower MPG. The tank on some
'bean counter' designed vehicles does not fill up every time.

Old February 28th 05, 01:48 AM
Dan C

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:28:48 -0500, w_tom wrote:

> For example, if you are buying gasoline only on price, then
> you are probably paying more for the gas. Discount brands may
> cost 5% less, but without the necessary additives, they tend
> to get about 8 or 13% less MPG. Furthermore, it usually takes
> at least four full tanks of the better gasoline to make the
> gas mileage improve.

Hogwash.

> I routinely get the highway MPG on mixed suburban driving.

I doubt that.

> But then I have learned how much MPG destruction come from
> 'bean counter' selection of gasolines, excessive use of brake,
> etc. Since I record and survey every fillup, then I identify
> factors that seriously degrade gas mileage. #1 on that list
> is buying gasoline according to price - and not according to
> value.

And how do you judge "value" of a gasoline, pray tell?

> If you are buying gas from the 7/11 type store, well expect
> a 10% less MPG. Furthermore calculate using numbers from
> consecutive tanks - at least 3 consecutive fillups. Some
> owners assumed they got higher or lower MPG. The tank on some
> 'bean counter' designed vehicles does not fill up every time.

How long have you been smoking crack?

Linux Registered User #327951

Old February 28th 05, 03:28 AM
James C. Reeves

"linda grommon" > wrote in message
> Have a new 3.3 Lt. Dodge carvan. Not getting the sticker advertised
> milage. Said 26 hwy getting 22. Any suggestions?

Winter driving and winter "oxygenated" fuels tend to reduce mileage. I have
a 1997 3.3 Grand and, in the summer, I will average about 26MPG at 60-65MPH
driving on road trips. I've gotten as high as 29 on back 55MPH highways.
Around town, about 19MPG during the summer and 16MPG during the winter.

Old February 28th 05, 04:21 AM
Gene Poon

Shades wrote:

> They do MPG tests in perfect condition and list the highest achieved as
> the rating.

Let me add, it's not just Chrysler who does the MPG tests this way; it's
a protocol officially condoned by the US Government. The tests actually
arose from emissions testing, with the fuel consumption figures derived
from tests of vehicles on treadmills, undergoing a specific test
procedure that has little relation to actual vehicle use. Note also
that a treadmill test does not take air resistance into account.

-GP
Old February 28th 05, 05:35 AM
Shades

Exactly...and sorry if it seemed I was pointing at Chrysler as being the
only one. Its like the '60 horse power ratings...Stripped down with only
enough to run and allot of pure oxygen going through the carb! Ideal,
yes...realistic...NOT!

Old February 28th 05, 05:36 AM
Shades

True fact there!

Old February 28th 05, 05:41 AM
Shades

Sorry but I have to agree with w_tom, for the most part. Lower priced
gas at the pump seldom means less money per mile. I will walk before I out
Casey's gas in ANY vehicle I am driving. Citgo is one that I have great
faith in when it comes to quality...Conoco and Texaco are a couple more...
Quality gas in the tank will definatly get you better mileage than cheap
gas!

news