OK, I give up, where is it?

Old January 31st 05, 09:26 PM
Mike Romain

Default OK, I give up, where is it?

It should be a purple wire on that pin at the back top you are talking
about. Grounding the wire should get you full hot on the gauge.

Here is a good site on testing the gauges:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/electrical/gauges/

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 31st 05, 10:01 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I would guess your temperature sending unit should be on the
thermostat housing at front end of head:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/en...adconv/156.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 3rd 05, 10:22 AM
Old Crow

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:28:40 GMT, bizbee >
wrote:

>OK, another question concerning this thing... if the sender is AFU,
>and I know this is kind of a vague question, will the standard Jeep
>sending unit replacement be the one to replace it with, or am I going
>to have to track down one to go with the gauge? I guess what I'm
>saying here is, is there a standard that companies generally follow?
>
>I could ask at the parts place, I suppose, but I figure people in this
>newsgroup are more intelligent, for the most part, than the part time
>guy that isn't even as old as the vehicle I'm working on.

Geeze, a whole new gauge kit is what? Like maybe $20? I'd just
replace the whole thing.

--
Old Crow
'82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl'
Old February 4th 05, 10:54 AM
Old Crow

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:12:57 GMT, bizbee >
wrote:

>Last time I bought this particular gauge, it was $95, I had to wait
>two weeks for it to come in and drive thirty miles to pick it up. And
>it didn't have a sensor with it--that's why I was wondering.
>
>no, it wasn't $20.

Yeah, you're right...it wan't $20, but it looks like you could get
new, factory looking replacements and sending units for less than that
he

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-5308/c-10108

$69.95 for the temp *and* fuel gauges and $5.95 for the temp sender.
Old February 4th 05, 03:24 PM
Mike Romain

bizbee wrote:
I want the
> gauge I have to work, and want to know if sending units, besides the
> point where they make connection to the engine, are universal.

No, they are set up for each individual vehicle with different
resistance readings.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 6th 05, 11:00 AM
Old Crow

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:23:49 GMT, bizbee >
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:54:14 -0600 in
>, Old Crow
> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:12:57 GMT, bizbee >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Last time I bought this particular gauge, it was $95, I had to wait
>>>two weeks for it to come in and drive thirty miles to pick it up. And
>>>it didn't have a sensor with it--that's why I was wondering.
>>>
>>>no, it wasn't $20.

>>Yeah, you're right...it wan't $20, but it looks like you could get
>>new, factory looking replacements and sending units for less than that
>>he
>>
>>http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-5308/c-10108
>>
>>$69.95 for the temp *and* fuel gauges and $5.95 for the temp sender.

>They're not factory. Read the first sentence of my post. I don't want
>a temp and fuel gauge. I don't even want a temp gauge. I want the
>gauge I have to work, and want to know if sending units, besides the
>point where they make connection to the engine, are universal.

OK, I wasn't aware that the Borg-Warner was the factory gauge.
From the way your post was written, I thought it was just an
aftermarket replacement.
It seems to me that in the case of an aftermarket gauge, it would be
less problem to replace with a whole set than to find the correct
sender for the gauge.
If you'd looked at the link, you'd see that these gauges were
replacements for the factory gauges. It would follow, since they are
sold without sender, that they would work with the factory senders.
Assuming this(not *that* big of an assumtion, really)the sender listed
at the bottom of the page would work in place of the factory sender.
At only $5.95 for the sender, it's fairly cheap to find out.

Oh, and if your replacement gauge was a factory replacement, why not
go to O'Reilly's or NAPA and order the factory sender?
Old February 6th 05, 02:50 PM
Mike Romain

bizbee wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:24:55 -0500 in
> >, Mike Romain >
> graced the world with this thought:
>
> >bizbee wrote:
> > I want the
> >> gauge I have to work, and want to know if sending units, besides the
> >> point where they make connection to the engine, are universal.

> >No, they are set up for each individual vehicle with different
> >resistance readings.
> >
> >Mike
> >86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

> Thanks, that's what I was after, more or less... but I guess my point
> is, allowing that the sending unit is working properly, and is the CJ
> sending unit, could I hook any temp gauge up to it and have it work,
> or does it have to be matched to the sending unit too?
> The sending unit I have was in place, when I replaced the aftermarket
> B-W gauge that was in it when I bought it (but blown), so I just
> bought a new, identical gauge, and hooked it up. So, what I'm curious
> about is, can I just buy the stock sending unit for the CJ5, and hook
> the B-W gauge up to it...?

Here is a site on the readings:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/electrical/gauges/

The stock temp and fuel gauges are 5 volt gauges....

You 'can' wire in 12 volt ones....

I also believe the gauges are tuned to the sender resistance readings so
they too have to match each other.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
Coasting in gear give me the engine light, C4 jameson Corvette 0 October 1st 04 08:35 PM
Give your old SL2 some new life! Rick Saturn 2 July 11th 04 03:31 AM