What Ford should do about the Vette

Old January 25th 05, 01:16 AM
RichA

Default What Ford should do about the Vette

Simple; Release a new Cobra using the 427 small block
they developed recently.
-Rich
Old January 25th 05, 01:53 AM
Backyard Mechanic

RichA opined in :

> Simple; Release a new Cobra using the 427 small block
> they developed recently.
> -Rich

Or Nothing...

Or maybe find a way to reduce the price of the GR1

They could bracket the vette and everyone would be happy.

There's a limited market

Old January 25th 05, 02:32 AM
Brent P

In article >, RichA wrote:
> Simple; Release a new Cobra using the 427 small block
> they developed recently.

Stop building instant collectables and start building performance cars of
the vette class to market demand.

Old January 25th 05, 05:44 PM

If it were possible to build a modern car that was true to the 427
Shelby Cobra's roots -- 400+ hp in a 2200 lb package, at about twice
the price of a contemporary sedan ($6K then, $60K now), I'd say go for
it. Is that possible, while including all the things the $60K market
requires today (zero rattles, zero leaks, 75 dB cruising)? No way.
Even the '05 Z06, with a Z06-only aluminum frame, weighs 3200 lbs.

Bottom line is it's too late for Ford to climb into the Vette market
without either falling on its face or losing baskets of money, or both.
180 Out
TS 28

Old January 25th 05, 11:32 PM
RichA

:

>> Simple; Release a new Cobra using the 427 small block
>> they developed recently.
>> -Rich

>Would that be competition for the base C6 or the Z06?

What is the base C6 going to be? The current 400hp model?
They should ignore it and concentrate on making a Vette killer
at a lower price point. Handling might be a problem.
-Rich
Old January 26th 05, 12:17 AM
Curtis Metzler

i agree it would be hard for ford to compete with the vette, but it could
be done, i myself wish they would make a comparable car at the vette's price
oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 01:11 AM
Wound Up

:

>>>Would that be competition for the base C6 or the Z06?

>>What is the base C6 going to be? The current 400hp model?

> Yes - it's the 400/400 6.0 liter LS2.
>

>>They should ignore it and concentrate on making a Vette killer
>>at a lower price point. Handling might be a problem.
>>-Rich

> 180's right IMO - At this point, Ford can't possibly come up with
> anything to seriously compete with the Corvette.

What about using the '03 390/390 Roots-blown 32v 4.6 DOHC in a dropped,
tightened up new Mustang with a T56 and an active stability control
system? It wouldn't have to out outrun it on the top end; I mean, 8th
grade stat geeks might bicker, but what it if could run the Vette on a
strip and a road course, be cheaper, and more user-friendly too boot? I
think Ford has a few options outside the exotic GT to compete with the
Vette for less with the Mustang platform. "They have the technology"...

And the PR, Mustangs outrunning Vettes again...

--
Wound Up

1967 Mustang Coupe, restored & modified

"A pessimist is just a well-informed optimist." - Anonymous

Old January 26th 05, 01:48 AM

Why?

The $50-60K (USD) domestic market is limited in size. Why would ford
want to compete in a market that has limited size and limted sales
opportunity, especially given the Vette's dominance. Would you be
willing or able to fork over the 60k to buy a GR-1/super-cobra/whatever?

I think Ford is better off staying in their own market niche. Base GT,
Cobra, Lightning, etc. High-end performance is great, but how can one
use it these days on the street? I can barely open up my 97 cobra in my
locale without encountering gobs of traffic. How much performance does
one need in a street car? If I want to run 11's, I'll buy a car to do
that...

Chris

Old January 26th 05, 02:37 AM
Brent P

In article >, Joe wrote:

> 180's right IMO - At this point, Ford can't possibly come up with
> anything to seriously compete with the Corvette.

A cost reduced, built for production version of GT.

Old January 26th 05, 02:41 AM
RichA

:

:

>>>Would that be competition for the base C6 or the Z06?

>> What is the base C6 going to be? The current 400hp model?

>Yes - it's the 400/400 6.0 liter LS2.
>
>> They should ignore it and concentrate on making a Vette killer
>> at a lower price point. Handling might be a problem.
>> -Rich

>180's right IMO - At this point, Ford can't possibly come up with
>anything to seriously compete with the Corvette.

How can you say that when aftermarket firms do it all the time?
Saleen, for one.
-Rich