subaru 2.2 into 71 bus home made adaptor plate?

Old May 1st 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default subaru 2.2 into 71 bus home made adaptor plate?

Hello group,

I have a subaru 2.2 engine.. what a nightmare of vacuum lines and
solenoids... I removed the carb, plugged all the vacuum lines..
cast an adaptor to bolt to the intake manifold, put my solex
on it.. It's a very small engine once you get all the crap off it.

Has anyone here ever made an adaptor plate themselves
(to go between engine and tranny), or know of anyone who
has? Kennedy Engineering sells them, but they're a bit
pricey.

Rich

Old May 2nd 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Subaru 2.2 with carb? Yours is the first one I have heard of. From what
I know though, Subaru did have different options for different regions.

About the adapter, you will have trouble finding instructions on how to
do it, most people don't bother, they just buy it from KEP and others.

These two pages are not specific to Subaru 2.2 but will give you an
good idea of whats involved:

subaru 1.6 (EA71)
http://www.type2.com/library/enginem/subaeng.htm

V6
http://offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/october.html

I think the flywheel is probably the most critical part, you will want
to have it as strong as possible.

Joseph

Old May 2nd 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I have a subaru 2.2 engine.. what a nightmarmachinedum lines and
> solenoids... I removed the carb, plugged all the vacuum lines..
> cast an adaptor to bolt to the intake manifold, put my solex
> on it.. It's a very small engine once you get all the crap off it.
>
> Has anyone here ever made an adaptor plate themselves
> (to go between engine and tranny), or know of anyone who
> has? Kennedy Engineering sells them, but they're a bit
> pricey.
>
> Rich

I bet you have an EA82 some were carbed and it had the mass of vacuum lines
on a thin tall intake. The suggested replacement carb is a Weber
progressive for this engine. This 1.8 motor is much smaller than a 2.2. I
would fab a new intake for it like the airplane guys do. The link below is
for EFI, but a carb cold be easily used instead of a TB With the same
basic design on your carbed engine. Obviously you would not need a plenum.

I have the stuff from a 92 Legacy I stripped but haven't don conversion yet.
Yes some have machined their own parts. I had a link once to a guys
project, but have lost it. You may find it by serching on the net.

Yahoo has a very good Suby Vanagon conversion group. I would go there for
help.

Old May 3rd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

>Subaru 2.2 with carb?

Ooops... I yanked two engines over the weekend. an EA81 (1.8 liter,
computer controlled carb, I threw away the carb) and a 2.2 (fuel
injected, I don't know the numbers)

Rich