Jeep and BMW

Old April 9th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Jeep and BMW

I have noticed a lot of you in here own jeeps, some of your names I even
recognize from eyars of mostly lurking in the jeep groups. So I have a
question. I have a '91 YJ four banger that is really tired... was thinking
of doing the often discouraged conversion to the six cyl... and then I
thought why not use a BMW I6? other than the obvious headache of marrying
the two electrical systems and drive lines, it seems like the engine would
fit the application well. Nice smooth, torquy straight six that would
actually perform decent on the highway as well as off road at high RPM if
needed...

now I know that there are gunna' be those that cry herresy... but what do
you think about the application? Has anyone tried it... seems like I can't
be the first to ponder it. Was thinking about a 3.5 (M60?). Thanks

Matt
'91 318Is
'91 YJ

Old April 9th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Get yourself a Jeep 6
forget the BMW I6!!

Joe
'89 YJ
'02 325CI

Old April 10th 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Do this

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/03/

-Branden

I also own a 99' BMW 528i and a 99' I6 Wrangler

Old April 10th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Buy a 96-99 Land Rover Discovery, most of the parts are BMW branded and
you will be amazed what it can do in comparison to the Jeep... Oh yeah,
and its a V8

Old April 10th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Joe C wrote:
> Get yourself a Jeep 6
> forget the BMW I6!!

I would tend to agree. Ought to be lots more of them around for an
installed price that will pale in comparison to the misery you'll
endure making this unholy alliance work. FWIW, the 4.0 in my Grand
Cherokee puts out more power than the 3.5 in my 535is ...
--
C.R. Krieger
'01 JGC

Old April 10th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Corey Shuman wrote:
> Buy a 96-99 Land Rover Discovery, most of the parts are BMW branded
> and you will be amazed what it can do in comparison to the Jeep... Oh
> yeah, and its a V8

While I am quite fond of the Discovery, you will find next to no BMW parts
in it. The 2003- Range Rover on the other hand............

Huw

Old April 11th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"E28 Guy©" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Joe C wrote:
>> Get yourself a Jeep 6
>> forget the BMW I6!!

> I would tend to agree. Ought to be lots more of them around for an
> installed price that will pale in comparison to the misery you'll
> endure making this unholy alliance work. FWIW, the 4.0 in my Grand
> Cherokee puts out more power than the 3.5 in my 535is ...
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> '01 JGC
> '88 535is

Thanks to all... I kind of figurd that is where I should come out, but
thought I would seek a broader opinion. Thanks again.

Matt

Old April 11th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above idle,
but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle. There isn't
enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very rewarding. Now, if
you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked the power on at 3000+
RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.

I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are the
same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move fore or
aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8 conversion.
And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.

Old April 12th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Joe C wrote:
> Get yourself a Jeep 6
> forget the BMW I6!!

I agree. The Jeep I6 is a tractor motor, making tons of torque at low
rpm. That is what that type of vehicle demands. A BMW I6 *requires*
revving. You would not be happy with that combination, even if you
could even figure a way to marry the BMW engine to the Jeep drive train.

--
-Fred W
Old April 12th 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
> offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above
> idle, but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle.
> There isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very
> rewarding. Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked
> the power on at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.
>
> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are
> the same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move
> fore or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8
> conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.

Nah. There is tons of room in the engine compartment of a Wrangler for
an inline 6 and the 4.0 liter straight 6 makes plenty of power way down
low. That, and you can buy a complete drive train (engine, transmission
and transfer case) that was factory equipment and will drop right in.

--
-Fred W