Bubble Bar

Old March 24th 04, 07:40 PM
Fleemo

Default Bubble Bar

My girlfriend just installed a "bubble bar" at the bottom of our 30
gallon hexagon aquarium. She thought she'd like the look of all the
little bubbles creating a curtain at the back of the tank. It seems a
bit noisy to me, (sounds a bit like a boiling pot of water) and I'm
wondering if it's likely to disturb the fish in the tank, being
exposed to all that extra noise 24 hours a day?

Is there any reason beyond aesthetics to have a bubble bar? We have
many plants in the tank, will the extra oxygen emitted from the bubble
bar benefit them?

Thanks.

-F
Old March 24th 04, 07:54 PM
Dinky

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
It seems a
| bit noisy to me, (sounds a bit like a boiling pot of water) and I'm
| wondering if it's likely to disturb the fish in the tank, being
| exposed to all that extra noise 24 hours a day?
|
| Is there any reason beyond aesthetics to have a bubble bar? We
have
| many plants in the tank, will the extra oxygen emitted from the
bubble
| bar benefit them?
|
| Thanks.
|
| -F

Beyond asthetics, no, there is not a lot of point to airstones and
such. However, in a hex, with limited surface area compared to total
water volume, good surface agitation is important to ensure
oxygenation. If your filter does not agitate the surface, the bubble
bar is indeed serving a purpose.

Can you tell me about the tank? Filter, occupants, parameters, etc?

As far as the noise, fish can become accustomed to most noise.

billy

Old March 24th 04, 08:10 PM
Chris Palma

Well, there is another thread going on about airpump vibrations, and
NetMax claims that the noise generated is not necessarily a good thing.
I like airstones (I have four in my 75 gal), but I'm considering turning
them off.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Dinky wrote:

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
It seems a
| bit noisy to me, (sounds a bit like a boiling pot of water) and I'm
| wondering if it's likely to disturb the fish in the tank, being
| exposed to all that extra noise 24 hours a day?
|
| Is there any reason beyond aesthetics to have a bubble bar? We
have
| many plants in the tank, will the extra oxygen emitted from the
bubble
| bar benefit them?
|
| Thanks.
|
| -F

Beyond asthetics, no, there is not a lot of point to airstones and
such. However, in a hex, with limited surface area compared to total
water volume, good surface agitation is important to ensure
oxygenation. If your filter does not agitate the surface, the bubble
bar is indeed serving a purpose.

Can you tell me about the tank? Filter, occupants, parameters, etc?

As far as the noise, fish can become accustomed to most noise.

billy

NB: This email address is dead. If you would like to email me directly,
please use: cpalmaATSYMBOLastro.psu.edu

Old March 24th 04, 09:02 PM
GloFish

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:10:21 -0500, Chris Palma
wrote:

Well, there is another thread going on about airpump vibrations, and
NetMax claims that the noise generated is not necessarily a good thing.
I like airstones (I have four in my 75 gal), but I'm considering turning
them off.

I have a few airstones, for two reasons: The wife likes the bubbles,
and a number of the fish seems to like swimming down the bubbles,
against the current.

--Tony
Old March 24th 04, 09:55 PM
Harry Muscle

"Dinky" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
It seems a
| bit noisy to me, (sounds a bit like a boiling pot of water) and I'm
| wondering if it's likely to disturb the fish in the tank, being
| to all that extra noise 24 hours a day?
|
| Is there any reason beyond aesthetics to have a bubble bar? We
have
| many plants in the tank, will the extra oxygen emitted from the
bubble
| bar benefit them?
|
| Thanks.
|
| -F

Beyond asthetics, no, there is not a lot of point to airstones and
such. However, in a hex, with limited surface area compared to total
water volume, good surface agitation is important to ensure
oxygenation. If your filter does not agitate the surface, the bubble
bar is indeed serving a purpose.

Can you tell me about the tank? Filter, occupants, parameters, etc?

As far as the noise, fish can become accustomed to most noise.

billy

Check out the "Fish sensitivity to pump vibrations" thread which was started
around 3pm today. There's a good discussion about how noisy our aquariums
are compared to the wild.

Yes, fish can get accustomed to noise, but so can you if you leave next to
train tracks. Doesn't mean you enjoy the noise every time a train goes by.

Harry

Old March 25th 04, 05:37 PM
Fleemo

Can you tell me about the tank? Filter, occupants, parameters, etc?

Well, it's a 30-gallon hexagon tank. Freshwater occupants include
gouramis, neon tetras, platys, a tiger barb, and a few, oh geeze,
their bellies turn vivid purple when they're pregnant... Can't recall
the name now. Oh, and plenty o' plants. The filter is a grist-mill
kind of thing, a wheel that spins dumping water onto the surface.
(Can you tell I'm an aquarium novice?)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

-F

Bubble Wall Bill Stock Tech 7 March 29th 11 06:58 PM
Bubble Anemone,Crab,Percula Snowman Reefs 3 May 6th 04 03:31 PM
Bubble trap? Dan Norgard Reefs 3 February 24th 04 09:46 AM
Plerogyra sinuosa bubble coral: Question on its health [email protected] Reefs 3 January 26th 04 03:33 AM
Damaged Bubble Coral? Marc Levenson Reefs 0 August 20th 03 04:37 AM