Tire pressures

Old March 8th 05, 03:15 AM
VAHairballs

Default Tire pressures

I have a 1970 bug with 165-15's all around. What is the correct tire
pressure for these tires?

Old March 8th 05, 03:30 AM
John Connolly

run 30 in the rear, and 20-22 in the front.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old March 10th 05, 09:38 PM
Tom Nakashima

"John Connolly" > wrote in message
> run 30 in the rear, and 20-22 in the front.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.
>
> "VAHairballs" > wrote in message
> > I have a 1970 bug with 165-15's all around. What is the correct tire
> > pressure for these tires?

John,
would it be the same for all vw beetles with 165-15 tires, say a 1966 1300?
I just purchased one, and couldn't remember the tire pressure from 20+ years
ago.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I have 26-28psi rear, 20-22 front for the
'66.
Gosh it's been so long,
-tom

Old March 11th 05, 06:56 AM
John Connolly

yes. Super beetles run 2psi more in the front.

It's written on the inside of the glovebox door, and in the owners manual.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

--
Please allow up to 48 hours for a representative of Aircooled.Net to respond
to your email inquiry. If you have not received a response in over 72 hours

Old March 11th 05, 01:53 PM
bill may

with BRM's frt. 145x15 -18-20lbs. 185 rear i use 28lbs.

Old March 11th 05, 02:52 PM
Shag

On 11 Mar 2005 04:53:29 -0800, "bill may" > wrote:

>with BRM's frt. 145x15 -18-20lbs. 185 rear i use 28lbs.

I bookmarked this some time ago. Maybe it will help?
http://www.geocities.com/eaallred/tirepressure.html

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 11th 05, 06:39 PM
John Connolly

Michael,

the "recommended pressure" on the tire sidewall is a LIMIT to not go over,
it's not the recommended pressure. Running the pressures I listed for 165s
will result in a much better ride, and much safer to boot.

I run 24psi with 135s in the front. If you jump up to 195s you have to drop
pressure to around 18psi.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old March 12th 05, 01:48 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message > I just go by the
tire's recommended pressure. The tires available today
> aren't the same as the tires available back during the bug's heyday.
>
> --

the tire does not recommend a pressure...it gives details of max load and
max pressure....ideal pressure is based on rim width, load, temperature, and
style of tire.....

Old March 12th 05, 06:38 AM
Mike64Bug

I believe you'll find he was referring to the pressure actually
needed for the tire as opposed to the pressure recommended
by the car manufacturer for the original equipment tires, which
may not be correct for new tires. For example, I just
replaced the tires on my Toyota. The original tires had a maximum
inflation of 36 psi with 32 psi front and 30 psi rear recommended
by Toyota. The new tires I put on had a maximum inflation of
44psi (same size tire as original) but you would never want to
try driving around with 32/30 psi in them. 40 front and 38 rear
would be closer to correct depending on the vehicles load.

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old March 12th 05, 02:18 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I believe you'll find he was referring to the pressure actually
> needed for the tire as opposed to the pressure recommended
> by the car manufacturer for the original equipment tires, which
> may not be correct for new tires. For example, I just
> replaced the tires on my Toyota. The original tires had a maximum
> inflation of 36 psi with 32 psi front and 30 psi rear recommended
> by Toyota. The new tires I put on had a maximum inflation of
> 44psi (same size tire as original) but you would never want to
> try driving around with 32/30 psi in them. 40 front and 38 rear
> would be closer to correct depending on the vehicles load.
>
> --

as i said "....ideal pressure is based on rim width, load, temperature, and
style of tire....."