Weird air ducts in a racing 928

Old February 25th 05, 09:19 AM
RobW

Default Weird air ducts in a racing 928

I saw this car here-
http://www.928motorsports.com/other928s.html

It's the yellow #917.
I noticed it has ducts in the car that lead from the trans tunnel
behind the driver, up to scoops on the roof, forward of the rear hatch.
http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...GTrenNLBIG.jpg
http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...s/jpk02big.jpg

Whats up with that? Are they trying to pressurize underneath the car,
some aero trick? I thought the key to downforce, besides wings, was to
*reduce* pressure under the car with air dams and skirts, openings at
the rear? Or is it not an aero trick at all, if not what the hell is
it? I've been around a few race cars but I've never seen this. An
air-cooled torque tube, maybe? ;-)

It's just driving me nuts. Any ideas? Anyone? (Bueller?)

(Yes, I know, I should get a life...)

Old February 25th 05, 10:08 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

cools the brakes >> notice the front bumper has them as well!!!

Old February 25th 05, 03:26 PM
Chas Hurst

"RobW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I saw this car here-
> http://www.928motorsports.com/other928s.html
>
> It's the yellow #917.
> I noticed it has ducts in the car that lead from the trans tunnel
> behind the driver, up to scoops on the roof, forward of the rear hatch.
> http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...GTrenNLBIG.jpg
> http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...s/jpk02big.jpg
>
> Whats up with that? Are they trying to pressurize underneath the car,
> some aero trick? I thought the key to downforce, besides wings, was to
> *reduce* pressure under the car with air dams and skirts, openings at
> the rear? Or is it not an aero trick at all, if not what the hell is
> it? I've been around a few race cars but I've never seen this. An
> air-cooled torque tube, maybe? ;-)
>
> It's just driving me nuts. Any ideas? Anyone? (Bueller?)
>
> (Yes, I know, I should get a life...)

I'd guess the ducts are an attempt to cool the transaxle.

Old February 25th 05, 04:44 PM
Bob Paulin

I would worry less about the air ducts and much more about that
vertebrae-crushing setup on the shoulder harness.

A good frontal hit, and that harness setup - with no support at shoulder
height - will exert a lot of downward pressure on the spine.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. <><
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services
Old February 25th 05, 05:56 PM
Steve

RobW wrote:

> I saw this car here-
> http://www.928motorsports.com/other928s.html
>
> It's the yellow #917.
> I noticed it has ducts in the car that lead from the trans tunnel
> behind the driver, up to scoops on the roof, forward of the rear hatch.
> http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...GTrenNLBIG.jpg
> http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...s/jpk02big.jpg
>
> Whats up with that? Are they trying to pressurize underneath the car,
> some aero trick?

Ducts like those usually feed air to oil coolers (transaxle,
differential, etc.) Its much easier to get a lot of airflow by sticking
the scoop up on top of the car and ducting the air down to a cooler
mounted in the floor pan than it is to mount the cooler up high.
Old March 1st 05, 10:59 AM
RobW

Bob Paulin wrote:
> I would worry less about the air ducts and much more about that
> vertebrae-crushing setup on the shoulder harness.
>
> A good frontal hit, and that harness setup - with no support at

shoulder
> height - will exert a lot of downward pressure on the spine.
>

> --
> Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. <><
> Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services
> Chassis Blueprinting Services (as in engine blueprinting)

Yeah, that's pretty ugly, good eye. There should be a bar across the
back, higher up, to mount to. Instead, they're bolted to the body?

Old March 1st 05, 11:01 AM
RobW

So the consensus is, they're cooling ducts, most likely a trans cooler.
Hmm. Seems like a lot of air to me. Thanks, All.

Old March 1st 05, 11:05 AM
RobW

Billy Bad Assr=A9 wrote:
> cools the brakes >> notice the front bumper has them as well!!!

There's a side view of the car that shows ducts down low on the
rockers, ahead of the rear wheels. That seems a more apt place for
rear brake ducts.

http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...s/jpk02big.jpg

Trans cooler makes sense, I guess.

Old March 1st 05, 11:47 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

"RobW" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Billy Bad Assr© wrote:
>> cools the brakes >> notice the front bumper has them as well!!!

> There's a side view of the car that shows ducts down low on the
> rockers, ahead of the rear wheels. That seems a more apt place for
> rear brake ducts.

> http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...s/jpk02big.jpg

> Trans cooler makes sense, I guess.

Guess I skimmed over too quickly -- now that I actually see what it is that your
speaking of i.e. http://www.928motorsports.com/otherc...GTrenNLBIG.jpg
- those are the intake for the under the hood blower!!!

--
BBA
°?°

Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 05:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 06:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 06:27 AM
FS: John Force "Racing With Castrol" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 2nd 04 04:53 AM