98 Civic LX rear speaker install

Old August 22nd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 98 Civic LX rear speaker install

I am tying to figure out how to get to the rear 6x9's in my civic to
swap them out, but cant get anywhere. Anybody know how to do this?
thanks

Old August 23rd 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Greg[_5_]

The trick is that you have to remove the rear seats and the plastic
side trim before you can remove the rear shelf. Once you remove the
rear seats (just the part you sit on) and the plastic trim, the rear
shelf can be removed. It is only held down by clips and the
child-restraint latches, so you just pry it up. I had a bit of
difficulty getting all the clips re-engaged when putting it back on,
but you can do it. Be sure to remove the connector to the rear brake
light that hooks in from under the rear shelf (from inside the trunk)
before you pry up the rear shelf. Once the shelf is up you should be
able to unscrew and remove the rear 6x9s.

BTW, you might consider just replacing the front door speakers and not
doing anything with the rear 6x9s. I replaced the fronts in my 2000
civic and it works well. I think upgraded and amped speakers up front
are good enough. I just set the fade so that the rear 6x9s aren't used.