OK guys new problem Brakes on my chopped 66

Old April 23rd 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default OK guys new problem Brakes on my chopped 66

I can not drive the car more than 10 miles or so and the brakes lock up. If
I let it sit and cool off and then readjust them by backing them off, I can
drive again but only around ten miles!

My car has a new 67 Master cylinder and disc brakes on the front/drums on
the back with new wheel cylinders.
I have 4 lug drums on the car and the guy that did the work did not change
out the backing plate so I had to drill holes in the backing plates to be
able to adjust the brakes. Since he put on 4 lug drums which would be
intended to be adjusted from the back I am thinking there are no keepers to
prevent the adjusters from turning on their own and making the brakes too
tight after being driven. Is this possible?

Getting real frustrated with this car!

Or is their something else that should have been done in order to use disc
on the front and drums on the rear?

Thanks, Mike

Old April 23rd 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Mike West wrote:
> I can not drive the car more than 10 miles or so and the brakes lock up. If
> I let it sit and cool off and then readjust them by backing them off, I can
> drive again but only around ten miles!
>
> My car has a new 67 Master cylinder and disc brakes on the front/drums on
> the back with new wheel cylinders.
> I have 4 lug drums on the car and the guy that did the work did not change
> out the backing plate so I had to drill holes in the backing plates to be
> able to adjust the brakes. Since he put on 4 lug drums which would be
> intended to be adjusted from the back I am thinking there are no keepers to
> prevent the adjusters from turning on their own and making the brakes too
> tight after being driven. Is this possible?
>
> Getting real frustrated with this car!
>
> Or is their something else that should have been done in order to use disc
> on the front and drums on the rear?
>
> Thanks, Mike

I doubt the adjusters are turning.

Were all the brake hoses new?
Old ones swell up inside and cause exactly that problem.

Is your M/C this P/N: 113-611-015-BD
That one will work with disc/drum.
Is there play in the pushrod when the pedal is released?
If no play, the pushrod doesn't fully return and the
port doesn't open to return fluid to reservoir.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old April 23rd 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jim,

Would they relax later? After the car sits and cools off the brakes are
fine.
Don't know the part number on the MC it is a duel switch for a 67 bug. I
just replaced what was on the pan with a new one, never thinking or knowing
their could be a problem like this mixing disc and drum brakes.
I'll start off by replacing the hoses. Would those stainless covered
aftermarket ones be better than stock?

Thanks! Mike

Old April 23rd 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Jim,
>
> Would they relax later? After the car sits and cools off the brakes are
> fine.
> Don't know the part number on the MC it is a duel switch for a 67 bug. I
> just replaced what was on the pan with a new one, never thinking or
> knowing
> their could be a problem like this mixing disc and drum brakes.
> I'll start off by replacing the hoses. Would those stainless covered
> aftermarket ones be better than stock?
>

> Thanks! Mike

Jim nailed your problem...the pushrod for the master cylinder....been there
done that, same symptoms...pedal gets real stiff then brakes drag....sit for
awhile, all it great...at first.....check freeplay....you should have a half
inch play at the top of the pedal pad before the pushrod contacts the cup in
the master cylinder

Old April 23rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Mike West wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Would they relax later? After the car sits and cools off the brakes are
> fine.
> Don't know the part number on the MC it is a duel switch for a 67 bug. I
> just replaced what was on the pan with a new one, never thinking or knowing
> their could be a problem like this mixing disc and drum brakes.
> I'll start off by replacing the hoses. Would those stainless covered
> aftermarket ones be better than stock?
>

> Thanks! Mike

No, the hoses don't "relax". <g>

But, even though clogged, fluid can be forced thru them
under hydraulic pressure. When the fluid tries to
return it is under zero pressure.

Either good quality orig hoses or good stainless (with rubber insides).

Jim