new polo gearbox

Old April 6th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default new polo gearbox

just bought a new shape 05 polo but the gearbox mounting has broke off
on the aluminium gearbox i need to have it welded, my question is will
the welding, assuming done by mig or tig, affect the ECU or battery if
box is left in situ?, what problems could i have later if i disconnect
the battery and ecu, them come to reconnect, e.g.any codes for the
radio or ,anything even more sinister?

Old April 7th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I would hope an 05 Polo is covered by warranty for the gearbox mounting
breaking off. A far as welding you must put the ground as close as possible
to the weld area. Right next to it. So the electricity flows direct from
the wire through your gearbox case, to the ground without going through the
car in some other way. Don't put the ground on the bumper or engine, or the
ground on the other side of the gearbox, and wonder why your alternator
wont turn, or or ECU is shot. Tig welding is for aluminum. Mig is usable
too, there's usually an aluminum kit for the welder. but Tig is way better.
I myself would weld on it WITH THE GROUND RIGHT NEXT TO THE REPAIR. and be
done with it. I don't remember of anyone tearing up a cars electrical with a
welder. But it is possible. I don't know how to reset any ECUs or what
happens if the batteries or ECU is disconnected. Good luck.
"pigeon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> just bought a new shape 05 polo but the gearbox mounting has broke off
> on the aluminium gearbox i need to have it welded, my question is will
> the welding, assuming done by mig or tig, affect the ECU or battery if
> box is left in situ?, what problems could i have later if i disconnect
> the battery and ecu, them come to reconnect, e.g.any codes for the
> radio or ,anything even more sinister?

overheating Polo 6n 1.4 '98 bancrete VW water cooled 0 March 2nd 06 11:47 AM
2.4JTD Gearbox Nick Alfa Romeo 1 January 18th 05 11:06 PM
2.4JTD Gearbox Nick Evans Alfa Romeo 0 January 18th 05 12:35 AM
converting 75 ts gearbox into 1.6 Hrvoje Posavac Alfa Romeo 0 December 4th 04 05:07 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM