tire wear

Old February 26th 05, 02:13 AM
Ben Chan

Default tire wear

I bought my 2003 A4 3.0 in 2003. I have accumulated about 35,000 km and now
I need to replace all my tires due to wear. The tires that came with the
car are Pirelli P6. I am wondering if it is unusual to have the tires wear
out so quickly. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I rarely
stomp on the gas pedal to launch my car from a stop light.

Do you have any recommendations what replacement tires I should get?

Thanks for your inputs.

Old February 26th 05, 04:09 AM
Ian S

"Ben Chan" > wrote in message
> I bought my 2003 A4 3.0 in 2003. I have accumulated about 35,000 km and

now
> I need to replace all my tires due to wear. The tires that came with the
> car are Pirelli P6. I am wondering if it is unusual to have the tires

wear
> out so quickly. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I rarely
> stomp on the gas pedal to launch my car from a stop light.
>
> Do you have any recommendations what replacement tires I should get?
>
> Thanks for your inputs.

For non-aggressive driving, that does seem a bit excessive - I'm assuming
the wear bars are showing. BTW, it's not just stomping on the gas pedal,
it's also braking and cornering that will contribute to tire wear. If the
wear is uneven, then there may be an alignment problem. Try a set of Kumho
Extras (either summer hi performance or all-season) - at least if you wear
them out fast, it's not so hard on your pocketbook. They're a great tire for
the money.

Old February 26th 05, 01:47 PM
R@L

"Ben Chan" > wrote in message
>I bought my 2003 A4 3.0 in 2003. I have accumulated about 35,000 km and
>now I need to replace all my tires due to wear. The tires that came with
>the car are Pirelli P6. I am wondering if it is unusual to have the tires
>wear out so quickly. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I
>rarely stomp on the gas pedal to launch my car from a stop light.
>
> Do you have any recommendations what replacement tires I should get?
>
> Thanks for your inputs.

It is quite normal for Pirelli to wear fast -although yours went a long way-
it's also known that Michelins last longer.

Ronald

Old March 2nd 05, 04:13 AM
Jay Jones

I had the OEM Pirelli P6ALLSEASON on my '03 A4 3.0 CVT. I only got 16,500
miles out of them. Not good-wearing tires. I replaced mine with
Bridgestone Potenza RE950s that have much better grip, especially in rain;
these are also as quiet as the OEMs and have lasted 15,000 miles with
reasonable wear thusfar. Next time, however, I'll go for performance tires
and forget about the all season crap.

Old March 2nd 05, 11:55 PM
Billy Ray

I hope you live where it is rarely cold and never snows because performance
tires are downright dangerous if used for "winter" driving.

newsbaVd.18257$Az.15620@lakeread02...

Old March 3rd 05, 03:04 PM
Bob

I live in Chicago and bit the bullet and bought a set of winter performance
tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2 and aftermarket wheels) to go with the OEM Dunlop
SP Sport 9090 summer high-performance tires. It was hard at first ($$$), but
I'm glad I did. I put the winter tires on in early November, and the summer tires
in early April. I'd never drive with the summer tires on in the winter. But the
right tires for the right season...... :-) :-) :-) I only have a total of
18000 mi so far, but I'm surprised that both sets haven't worn a little more.
I tend to drive fairly agressively. They both ride well too, but I can tell
that the winter tires are a bit softer (of course).

Old March 9th 05, 05:27 AM
Jay Jones

It only freezes 2-3 nights a year here-- so "summer" tires are all-season
tires here... thankfully

"Billy Ray" > wrote in message
>I hope you live where it is rarely cold and never snows because performance
>tires are downright dangerous if used for "winter" driving.
>

> "Jay Jones" > wrote in message
> newsbaVd.18257$Az.15620@lakeread02...
>>I had the OEM Pirelli P6ALLSEASON on my '03 A4 3.0 CVT. I only got 16,500
>>miles out of them. Not good-wearing tires. I replaced mine with
>>Bridgestone Potenza RE950s that have much better grip, especially in rain;
>>these are also as quiet as the OEMs and have lasted 15,000 miles with
>>reasonable wear thusfar. Next time, however, I'll go for performance
>>tires and forget about the all season crap.
>>

>> "Ben Chan" > wrote in message
>>>I bought my 2003 A4 3.0 in 2003. I have accumulated about 35,000 km and
>>>now I need to replace all my tires due to wear. The tires that came with
>>>the car are Pirelli P6. I am wondering if it is unusual to have the
>>>tires wear out so quickly. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver.
>>>I rarely stomp on the gas pedal to launch my car from a stop light.
>>>
>>> Do you have any recommendations what replacement tires I should get?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your inputs.

strange tire wear => strut problem? Usual Suspect Driving 1 February 1st 05 04:00 AM
Rear Tire wear Question [email protected] Mazda 5 December 21st 04 05:52 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM
Tire Wear Pattern HaroldWho Honda 4 September 29th 04 05:58 PM
Allroad Tire Wear Peculiarity TomS Audi 1 September 16th 04 05:41 AM