New Meats recommendations?

Old December 20th 04, 10:30 PM
Deputy Dog

Default New Meats recommendations?

I just put a set of Nitto's on the 96 GTS. IMO better than the BFG comp
T/A's I just wore out. Stickier less road noise.

Dave

Old December 21st 04, 02:22 AM
2.3Sleeper

My favorite all around tire is the Potenza 910 Series. I am not sure if that
one is even made. I think the 930 replaced that series.

Don Manning

Old December 21st 04, 02:33 AM
Mark Conklin

Tell us more - What are you expecting these tires to do? Do you care about
wet weather ability? Will the car see snow? I bought Kumho Ecsta MX tires
for my car but it is a weekend driver only. I think they are about the best
value you can get.

Old December 21st 04, 03:11 AM
pheonix1t

ZombyWoof wrote:

> Anybody have any recommendations for a new set of meats on a `01Black
> drop-top? The stock 225/55/R16 Goodyears Eagle LS's were ok, but I
> have read some really ****ty reviews on most tire sites on the Eagle
> LS's. Any viable alternatives out there that impressed the hell out
> of anyone?

depends what you use the car for!
Is this a weekend only ride? Is this your 'work' car?

I've had firestones, bridgestones, yokohamas....ALL were better than
good-year! The firestones were the best! They cost a lot less than
good-year, traction (snow/wet/dry) was MUCH better than good-year! The
ride was also better!
But, this is for a daily driver (car for work). I just rack up the
miles on it.

I needed the best tires for all seasons. Firestones were amazing.

Oskar

Old December 21st 04, 04:15 AM

"bust a gut" LOL that is what cracked me up...

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old December 21st 04, 04:54 AM
Mark Conklin

Silly name or not, Kumho's are a great value. Ecsta ASX high performance all
season tires can be had for $73 each. Check out TireRack.com and read some
of the reviews there.

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:33:53 -0600, "Mark Conklin"
> > wrote something wonderfully witty:
>
>>Tell us more - What are you expecting these tires to do? Do you care about
>>wet weather ability? Will the car see snow? I bought Kumho Ecsta MX tires
>>for my car but it is a weekend driver only. I think they are about the
>>best
>>value you can get.
>>

> No way I can buy a tire call a Kum-ho. I just can't get over that
> name. I bust a gut every time I see it.
>>

> Just a good all-round all season tire. This is my daughters car and I
> was just going to replace the Goodyears until I read the reviews and
> said no way at the price they charge for them. A $130.00 tire should
> get much better ratings from customers then it does. I have no
> problem paying the $130.00 a tire or even more, if it is a decent
> tire. No Auto-Xing in it or anything.

. ..

Old December 21st 04, 05:16 AM
dave

I put the BFG KD t/a on my 99 gt. Nice tires as far as I'm concerned. Awful
when cold for traction, and handling, but once their warm , very good.
Useless for anything much more than dry traction. They hook up well when
warm, and wear seems very good. My 99 is procharged. and don't need it
everyday, so take it with a grain of salt.
Dave

Old December 21st 04, 05:22 AM
pheonix1t

ZombyWoof wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:11:50 GMT, pheonix1t
> > wrote something wonderfully
> witty:
>

>>ZombyWoof wrote:
>>

>>>Anybody have any recommendations for a new set of meats on a `01Black
>>>drop-top? The stock 225/55/R16 Goodyears Eagle LS's were ok, but I
>>>have read some really ****ty reviews on most tire sites on the Eagle
>>>LS's. Any viable alternatives out there that impressed the hell out
>>>of anyone?

>>depends what you use the car for!
>>Is this a weekend only ride? Is this your 'work' car?
>>
>>I've had firestones, bridgestones, yokohamas....ALL were better than
>>good-year! The firestones were the best! They cost a lot less than
>>good-year, traction (snow/wet/dry) was MUCH better than good-year! The
>>ride was also better!
>>But, this is for a daily driver (car for work). I just rack up the
>>miles on it.
>>
>>I needed the best tires for all seasons. Firestones were amazing.
>>

>>Oskar
>>

> Yeah, I run Firestone SZ50's on my Vette and love them over the stock
> Goodyears. This is my daughters Base Drop-Top Mustang and I am just
> looking for a decent all around all-weather tire. The SZ50's are way
> more tire then she needs on that car. Even within manufacturers there
> are series of tires, so what would be a good Firestone for that car?

after doing a bit of reading on tirerack, it looks like the FireHawk
Indy 500's are the way to go. All-season tires, great performance and
great price.

Old December 21st 04, 06:27 AM
Richard

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:11:50 GMT, pheonix1t
> > wrote something wonderfully
> witty:
>
> >ZombyWoof wrote:
> >

> No way I can buy a tire call a Kum-ho. I just can't get over that
> name. I bust a gut every time I see it.
> --

Maybe you are just pronouncing it wrong, Not Kum-ho but Coom-ho. Maybe it
means something in Korean.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old December 21st 04, 06:32 AM
Gill

ZombyWoof wrote:
> Anybody have any recommendations for a new set of meats on a `01Black
> drop-top? The stock 225/55/R16 Goodyears Eagle LS's were ok, but I
> have read some really ****ty reviews on most tire sites on the Eagle
> LS's. Any viable alternatives out there that impressed the hell out
> of anyone?

I run BFG's KDWS G-Force T/A 275/40/17 on 9" rims
They're not like drag radials but slideways action is good and wear
seems OK too. They're good in the wet also.

--
Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
With Bits and Pieces

65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 11:53 PM
19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 07:31 PM
Winter Tire Recommendations for 2000 Golf GL (195/65/15) Susheem VW water cooled 10 November 9th 04 04:30 AM
Snow tire recommendations for 1997 M3 sedan? Robert La Ferla BMW 3 October 17th 04 02:18 PM
Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle... Mesquito Creek 4x4 28 July 21st 04 05:30 PM