Clutch woes, burning the discs?

Old January 5th 05, 01:35 AM
Masospaghetti

Default Clutch woes, burning the discs?

My family has three cars - a 2003 Civic EX, a 1989 CRX Si, and a 1985
Corolla SR5 - that are all 5 speeds. However, the clutches aren't
lasting very long in any of them. They give identical symptoms, a
vibration or shimmy as the clutch plate is grabbing. Once the clutch is
engaged, its fine and does not slip. My question is, what might be
causing this? A particular style of driving? Is the plate being burned
(a mechanic has told me this before) or is another part failing?
Thanks!
Old January 5th 05, 11:44 AM
Anthony

Masospaghetti > wrote in news:crfcot$6db$1@news-
int.gatech.edu:

> My family has three cars - a 2003 Civic EX, a 1989 CRX Si, and a 1985
> Corolla SR5 - that are all 5 speeds. However, the clutches aren't
> lasting very long in any of them. They give identical symptoms, a
> vibration or shimmy as the clutch plate is grabbing. Once the clutch is
> engaged, its fine and does not slip. My question is, what might be
> causing this? A particular style of driving? Is the plate being burned
> (a mechanic has told me this before) or is another part failing?
> Thanks!

A clutch should last well over 100k miles, given proper usage. Sounds as
if you have someone who either a) slips the clutch excessively when
pulling out, or b) rides around with thier foot on the clutch pedal
causing it to be only partially engaged (what I would suspect most). Foot
should be on the floorboard, not on the pedal.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old January 5th 05, 11:46 AM
Anthony

lugnut > wrote in
:

If that can't be done, gice up on the manual
> transmisions and go to automatics - you are wasting all of
> your initial investment and fuel saving on clutch
> replacements not to mention someone would be very difficult
> to read with as a passenger.

Other savings related to a clutch: brake jobs. Proper downshifting will
lead to brakes lasting a *long* time on a manual transmission vehicle.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old January 5th 05, 03:04 PM
bob

"Anthony" > wrote in message
> lugnut > wrote in
> :
>
> If that can't be done, gice up on the manual
> > transmisions and go to automatics - you are wasting all of
> > your initial investment and fuel saving on clutch
> > replacements not to mention someone would be very difficult
> > to read with as a passenger.

> Other savings related to a clutch: brake jobs. Proper downshifting will
> lead to brakes lasting a *long* time on a manual transmission vehicle.
>

> --
> Anthony
>
> You can't 'idiot proof' anything....every time you try, they just make
> better idiots.
>
> Remove sp to reply via email

Personally, I'd much rather change brakes than clutch. My wife's Mazda
currently has 208K miles on the original clutch (so yes, a properly used
clutch can last over 100K miles) but she doesn't downshift throught the
gears at every stop sign......... If she did, I'm sure it would have been
shot by the 100K miles mark....

bb

Old January 5th 05, 03:09 PM
bob

"bob" > wrote in message

> "Anthony" > wrote in message
> > lugnut > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > If that can't be done, gice up on the manual
> > > transmisions and go to automatics - you are wasting all of
> > > your initial investment and fuel saving on clutch
> > > replacements not to mention someone would be very difficult
> > > to read with as a passenger.

> > Other savings related to a clutch: brake jobs. Proper downshifting will
> > lead to brakes lasting a *long* time on a manual transmission vehicle.
> >

> > --
> > Anthony
> >
> > You can't 'idiot proof' anything....every time you try, they just make
> > better idiots.
> >
> > Remove sp to reply via email

> Personally, I'd much rather change brakes than clutch. My wife's Mazda
> currently has 208K miles on the original clutch (so yes, a properly used
> clutch can last over 100K miles) but she doesn't downshift throught the
> gears at every stop sign......... If she did, I'm sure it would have been
> shot by the 100K miles mark....
>
> bb

Oh yeah, to the original poster, if all 3 cars are having similar clutch
problems and they are worn out when replace, I'd agree that one of the
drivers is toasting the clutches unless you are towing something. Leaking
main seal can cause the jerky engagement as oil can drip on the clutch disk
but this would be obvious when the clutch was pulled.

Old January 5th 05, 03:52 PM
Brian

Symptomatic of a glazed clutch disc, probably caused by over-heating,
although getting a little oil on the disc can cause the same thing.
Excessive slipping of the clutch, either poor technique in starting or
riding the clutch in general. Like everyone else, I will say that clutches
can last a long time. I've never actually replaced a clutch in a car that
I've owned, I have a Hyundai with 180K on it right now. My driving advice
is use the brakes for stopping the car, shift only when you are going to
drive in that new gear (no down-shifting through the gears when stopping),
and don't slip the clutch or use high rpms when starting to move.

Brian

Old January 5th 05, 06:41 PM
Mike Romain

That implies someone is driving with their foot on the pedal causing
slip which glazes things.

One other cause of judder when starting is worn engine or tranny mounts,
but on all 3?.... I guess, if one driver is a 'snappy' clutch person
and drives them hard or aggressively, the mounts could also be worn on
all 3. Any 18 year old drivers? ;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 6th 05, 04:18 PM
Masospaghetti

Thanks all for the advice!

I am probably the most aggressive driver in the family but I don't let
it slip much and have ridden the habit of riding the clutch many cars ago.

Our family doesn't drive manuals for the cost savings...its simply
because we like it better. However, I'm going to have to do some
interrogating or something..because this is getting rediculous.

Mike Romain wrote:
> That implies someone is driving with their foot on the pedal causing
> slip which glazes things.
>
> One other cause of judder when starting is worn engine or tranny mounts,
> but on all 3?.... I guess, if one driver is a 'snappy' clutch person
> and drives them hard or aggressively, the mounts could also be worn on
> all 3. Any 18 year old drivers? ;-)
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> Masospaghetti wrote:
>
>>My family has three cars - a 2003 Civic EX, a 1989 CRX Si, and a 1985
>>Corolla SR5 - that are all 5 speeds. However, the clutches aren't
>>lasting very long in any of them. They give identical symptoms, a
>>vibration or shimmy as the clutch plate is grabbing. Once the clutch is
>>engaged, its fine and does not slip. My question is, what might be
>>causing this? A particular style of driving? Is the plate being burned
>>(a mechanic has told me this before) or is another part failing?
>>Thanks!

Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 14th 05 12:40 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Burning clutch on brand new A4 Peter Bell Audi 2 November 8th 04 08:00 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM