2003 Passat wiper blade change confusion

Old January 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Darren Dunham

Default 2003 Passat wiper blade change confusion

I've got a 2003 Passat with the "curvy" wipers. There appears to be a
flexible carrier, two end caps, and a blade.

How do I get the end caps off to replace the blade? If there's a clip,
I can't find it. I've pried around a bit with a tiny screwdriver, but I
don't want to do something that damages something (other than the blade
which will be replaced).

What am I missing here? Thanks!

--
Darren Dunham
Senior Technical Consultant TAOS
Old January 6th 05, 03:22 AM
Woodchuck

You don't! They are one complete unit and you can't just replace the rubber
blade. Not unless someone outside of VW makes the refill. And yes... VW has
them over priced.

m...

Old January 6th 05, 04:03 AM
D. Dub

Regular "thin" refills work just fine.

You just have to pry open part of the original wiper carrier and then
squeeze it back together after easy as pie.

Just did my 02 Golf and it cost me $6 CDN!!

Old January 6th 05, 05:35 PM
Darren Dunham

Woodchuck > wrote:
> You don't! They are one complete unit and you can't just replace the rubber
> blade. Not unless someone outside of VW makes the refill. And yes... VW has
> them over priced.

Mine aren't a complete unit. The blade just rides inside the carrier.
In fact (thinking that this would be easy), I already bought the blade
refills from a nearby dealer for $9 a piece (same as the local parts
store said they could get me a Bosch OEM refill kit).

Only after I got them home did I realize that I couldn't figure out how
to remove the end caps.
Old January 6th 05, 05:38 PM
Darren Dunham

D. Dub > wrote:
> Regular "thin" refills work just fine.

> You just have to pry open part of the original wiper carrier and then
> squeeze it back together after easy as pie.

Anything else you can tell me about how to pry it open? When I hold the
carrier with the blade up, the end caps seem to have a catch on the
bottom. I've tried pulling hard, I've tried wiggling a tiny screwdriver
underneath. I wasn't able to remove them. I'm scared that the force
I'm applying is going to damage the end cap.

Old January 6th 05, 10:55 PM
Tim Burr

Darren Dunham wrote:
> D. Dub > wrote:
>
>>Regular "thin" refills work just fine.

>>You just have to pry open part of the original wiper carrier and then
>>squeeze it back together after easy as pie.

> Anything else you can tell me about how to pry it open? When I hold the
> carrier with the blade up, the end caps seem to have a catch on the
> bottom. I've tried pulling hard, I've tried wiggling a tiny screwdriver
> underneath. I wasn't able to remove them. I'm scared that the force
> I'm applying is going to damage the end cap.

See if this link helps >>
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127303
Old January 6th 05, 11:25 PM
Woodchuck

Golf/Jetta use a completely different blade than the Passat!

Old January 7th 05, 05:21 AM
Darren Dunham

Tim Burr > wrote:
> Darren Dunham wrote:
>> D. Dub > wrote:
>>
>>>Regular "thin" refills work just fine.

>>>You just have to pry open part of the original wiper carrier and then
>>>squeeze it back together after easy as pie.

>> Anything else you can tell me about how to pry it open? When I hold the
>> carrier with the blade up, the end caps seem to have a catch on the
>> bottom. I've tried pulling hard, I've tried wiggling a tiny screwdriver
>> underneath. I wasn't able to remove them. I'm scared that the force
>> I'm applying is going to damage the end cap.

> See if this link helps >>
> http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127303

Help, it does. I'm still slightly confused though.

#2 just says to "pull it off", and #8 shows an end cap with a notch
(where you can see the base of the blade).

My end caps have no notch. I finally just pulled really hard. The
first one came off okay, but I noticed it is held in by a catch, and I
don't see any easy way to undo it. I ended up breaking the catch on the
second end cap I was working with.

It still "snapped" back on the blade even with the catch broken. It
won't come off easily.

Old January 8th 05, 10:41 PM

Woodchuck wrote:

> You don't! They are one complete unit and you can't just replace the rubber
> blade. Not unless someone outside of VW makes the refill. And yes... VW has
> them over priced.

Indeed they do. I had a set that weathered hard during the first 6
months I owned a 2004 Passat TDI.

While in for the dealers $60 oil change (not too overpriced for the
synthetic the TDI requires) I asked them to put on some new blades.

They are more than $100, and they told me this...then he adjusted the
tension on the arms, cleaned the blades with isopropyl at no charge.

This is one of my favorite automtotive rants:

Primary safety items like exterior lights (of all flavors) should be
easily accessible, user-replaceable and reasonably priced. I'm a 20 year
owner of VWs, and love them...but they should be ashamed of themselves
for this concept on the Passat wipers.

In fact, I'm getting so riled up, I'm going to write to VWoA:-)
Old January 16th 05, 04:36 AM
Roger Hempel

your really going to feel stupid lift arm all the way up turn blabe 90
degrees and remove from arm its only on a pin