Downshifting Grinding noise

Old July 24th 05, 04:02 PM
jim beam

Pars wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>

>>>I'm in the same boat. I went to the Honda dealership to get my clutch

> oil
>
>>>changed (for the 2nd time since owning the car). Turns out, that my

> clutch
>
>>>oil was low and the Honda mechanic recommends new master & slave

> cylinder
>
>>>and a overhaul for the clutch master cylinder. After 245,000km of hard
>>>driving, you'd think a simple oil change should do the job. Oh well..
>>>
>>>The syncro is shot for third gear (only crunches when I'm racing..but

> I'm
>
>>>sure it'll get worst). Considering that I have been ruff with the

> tranny,
>
>>>would it be wise to also get a new clutch while their working on the

> clutch
>
>>>master cylinder? So far, everything under the hood is still original

> (except
>
>>>for spark plug and air filter) and this will be the first time It'll be
>>>going for surgery because of failed parts...
>>>
>>>I'm going to have to get used to the fact that the car isn't
>>>indestructible...*sigh*
>>>
>>>Pars
>>>98 Civic Hatch
>>>

>>this is where you can teach yourself to double-clutch effectively!
>>seriously, you can keep a shot synchro going indefinitely if you do.
>>

> Yep, looks like I might have to become an expert at it. But for now, I'm
> going to have to avoid drag races that requires 3rd gear. Downshifting from
> 5 to 3 is still smooth since I'm good at rev matching....so I can still
> squeeze some fun out of 3rd. But once third is completely gone, I'm not
> going to be a happy camper, since it's my favorite gear.
>
> Pars

i drove a car with no 2nd synchro for years. once i got the hang of it,
it was easy. which was great because it meant my sister would never
borrow my car. i don't drive a stick that much now, but when i do, i
still find myself occasionally doing that second kick on the clutch.

i think it's easy once you understand what's going on - the principle is
that you either spin up or spin down with the clutch engaged in neutral
to match the ratio speeds, then engage gear.

Old July 24th 05, 04:08 PM
jim beam

Pars wrote:
> "Abeness" > wrote in message
>
>>Pars wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in the same boat. I went to the Honda dealership to get my clutch

> oil
>
>>>changed (for the 2nd time since owning the car). Turns out, that my

> clutch
>
>>>oil was low and the Honda mechanic recommends new master & slave

> cylinder
>
>>>and a overhaul for the clutch master cylinder. After 245,000km of hard
>>>driving, you'd think a simple oil change should do the job. Oh well..

>>What the hell is an "overhaul for a clutch master cylinder"--especially
>>after you get a new one? Methinks you have the terminology wrong for
>>what the overhaul is on. The master cylinder is the thing your clutch
>>pedal is connected to--nowhere near the actual clutch. It's easy to
>>replace, as is the slave cylinder, which is attached to the tranny and
>>activates the clutch release. I just did both on my 94 Civic.

> The mechanic also said that the master and slave cylinder were leaking and
> the clutch pedal was very stiff (but not stiff enough to hamper the lead in
> my left foot).
>

>>BTW, there's brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics, oil in your tranny.
>>Better hope there's no oil in your clutch... ;-)

> Yep, they charged me about $6 for the brake oil.

technically, it's not an oil for a honda, it's a glycol-ether. oils are
used in a lot of hydraulic systems, but generally not for car
braking/clutch systems & definitely not here. sorry, pedant city.

Old July 24th 05, 04:15 PM
T L via CarKB.com

second is my favorite gear in my 98 civic, hehe it tops out at 110km/h. Then
again 3rd is good too, takes me all the way to 160km. I got her goin to 195
in 4th the other day too. WEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Old July 25th 05, 05:02 AM
Pars

"T L via CarKB.com" > wrote in message

> second is my favorite gear in my 98 civic, hehe it tops out at 110km/h.

Then
> again 3rd is good too, takes me all the way to 160km. I got her goin to

195
> in 4th the other day too. WEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Yep, 195 km/hr and then the speed limit kicks in....which is a
bummer...cause on a good day I probably could squeeze another 10km/hr out of
that DX engine. I tend to do alot of highway, so third is spaced perfectly
for 'dog fighting'.

Pars

Old July 25th 05, 05:30 AM
Pars

"Abeness" > wrote in message
> Pars wrote:
> > The mechanic also said that the master and slave cylinder were leaking

and
> > the clutch pedal was very stiff (but not stiff enough to hamper the lead

in
> > my left foot).

> Mine was feeling a bit weird when I replaced the master/slave cylinders.
> and the master was leaking here as well. Dealer said the slave was
> leaking too when I had the car inspeced prior to purchase, but I didn't
> see any evidence of that myself.
>
> >>If whatever they're wanting to do the overhaul on involves removing the
> >>tranny, have them inspect the clutch for wear and decide then. Tegger's
> >>still on his original clutch at 400,000 km...

> > If I wasn't aggressive with the tranny, I'm sure the thing would

probably
> > would last forever. Considering that the engagement point for my clutch

has
> > gone all the way down to the floor and switching into first or reverse

is a
> > little tricky, something is not right.

> Maybe not forever, as there is wear however you drive. The fact that you
> have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch
> could merely be the result of the low fluid and failing cylinders.
>
> Since the master and slave cylinders are so easy to replace--I'm
> relatively new to automotive work, but am a pretty handy guy in
> general--and since replacing them doesn't involve dropping the tranny,
> I'd start with those and see how it feels after a pedal adjustment. The
> job can be done in less than 2 hours. If you want to do it
> yourself--really, it's easy--see my post "clutch master & slave cylinder
> replacement notes (94 Civic EX)" (7/8/2005). Helpful to have a Helm
> manual, too--an excellent investment.

I'm taking the car on a long drive for the long weekend (about 20hrs of
highway driving), so I was also planning on getting the clutch replaced as
an added insurance. My mechanic quoted me about $600 for the job (using
Honda parts) compared to the Honda dealership that quoted $1500 for clutch
overhaul.

Pars

Old July 25th 05, 05:46 AM
Pars

> >>BTW, there's brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics, oil in your tranny.
> >>Better hope there's no oil in your clutch... ;-)

> > Yep, they charged me about $6 for the brake oil.

> technically, it's not an oil for a honda, it's a glycol-ether. oils are
> used in a lot of hydraulic systems, but generally not for car
> braking/clutch systems & definitely not here. sorry, pedant city.

Ok, Fluid not oil. Once upon a time I used to know what all that meant...All
the Si-Fi Novels, bad action flicks and adrenalin pumping Xbox games has
rotten my brain. There very little stuff left over from my old chemistry
classes.

Pars

Old July 25th 05, 04:53 PM
Abeness

Pars wrote:
> I'm taking the car on a long drive for the long weekend (about 20hrs of
> highway driving), so I was also planning on getting the clutch replaced as
> an added insurance. My mechanic quoted me about $600 for the job (using
> Honda parts) compared to the Honda dealership that quoted $1500 for clutch
> overhaul.

That's pretty funny, $1500. $600 sounds more appropriate.
Old July 25th 05, 04:54 PM
Abeness

Pars wrote:
> Ok, Fluid not oil. Once upon a time I used to know what all that meant...All
> the Si-Fi Novels, bad action flicks and adrenalin pumping Xbox games has
> rotten my brain. There very little stuff left over from my old chemistry
> classes.

LOL!