new battery - now tick over has gone mad!

Old July 22nd 05, 03:45 PM
Matthew Maddock

Default new battery - now tick over has gone mad!

Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
a bit rough.

Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?

cheers,

Matt.
Old July 22nd 05, 05:22 PM
Ted

"Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
message ...
> Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
> tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
> at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
> a bit rough.
>
> Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
> over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?
>
> cheers,
>
> Matt

yes, the ecu will have powered down and settings lost, it will settle out.

dj

Old July 22nd 05, 07:14 PM
Matthew Maddock

Ted wrote:
> "Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>>Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
>>tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
>>at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
>>a bit rough.
>>
>>Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
>>over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?
>>
>>cheers,
>>
>>Matt

> yes, the ecu will have powered down and settings lost, it will settle out.
>
> dj

Thanks,

How long will it likely take to right itself.

It's very embarrassing sitting in traffic with the engine
revving away!! Not to mention the fact that it is almost
impossible to crawl.

Matt.
Old July 22nd 05, 07:26 PM
M60

"Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
message ...
> Ted wrote:
> > "Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >
> >>Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
> >>tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
> >>at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
> >>a bit rough.
> >>
> >>Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
> >>over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?
> >>
> >>cheers,
> >>
> >>Matt

> > yes, the ecu will have powered down and settings lost, it will settle

out.

> > dj
> >

> Thanks,
>
> How long will it likely take to right itself.
>
> It's very embarrassing sitting in traffic with the engine
> revving away!! Not to mention the fact that it is almost
> impossible to crawl.
>
> Matt.

my A4 (2.4 V6) only took a drive to work which is approx 40 miles round
trip.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:00 PM
Matthew Maddock

>>How long will it likely take to right itself.
>>
>>It's very embarrassing sitting in traffic with the engine
>>revving away!! Not to mention the fact that it is almost
>>impossible to crawl.
>>
>>Matt.

> my A4 (2.4 V6) only took a drive to work which is approx 40 miles round
> trip.

OK, cheers,

I've only done about 5 slow miles so far! - I live in the city!

Matt.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:10 PM
Ted

"Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
message ...
>>>How long will it likely take to right itself.
>>>
>>>It's very embarrassing sitting in traffic with the engine
>>>revving away!! Not to mention the fact that it is almost
>>>impossible to crawl.
>>>
>>>Matt.

>> my A4 (2.4 V6) only took a drive to work which is approx 40 miles round
>> trip.
>>

> OK, cheers,
>
> I've only done about 5 slow miles so far! - I live in the city!
>
> Matt.

Matt, M60 was me from my notebook. Yes, 5 miles is rather short. It must
learn your driving technique so more variable driving will be required.

Old July 22nd 05, 09:59 PM
Ronny

Matthew Maddock wrote:
>>> How long will it likely take to right itself.
>>>
>>> It's very embarrassing sitting in traffic with the engine
>>> revving away!! Not to mention the fact that it is almost
>>> impossible to crawl.
>>>
>>> Matt.

>> my A4 (2.4 V6) only took a drive to work which is approx 40 miles
>> round trip.
>>

> OK, cheers,
>
> I've only done about 5 slow miles so far! - I live in the city!
>
> Matt.

What I do is, drive then as your driving turn off the ignition then restart
the car, try this once every 5-6 miles, it will reset somtimes it can take
ages other times just 5 mins.

Old July 25th 05, 11:34 AM
Iain Miller

"Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
message ...
> Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
> tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
> at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
> a bit rough.
>
> Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
> over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?

Try doing a throttle body adaption. Disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds
or so & then reconnect. Then with the door open (don't ask me why the door
needs to be open but alledgedly it does!). Switch the ignition on (but don't
start the car). Wait 30-40 seconds during which time you might hear some
whirring noises. Then start the thing & with a bit of luck all will be well.

I.

Old July 25th 05, 02:28 PM
Matthew Maddock

Iain Miller wrote:
> "Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>>Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
>>tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
>>at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
>>a bit rough.
>>
>>Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
>>over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?
>>

> Try doing a throttle body adaption. Disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds
> or so & then reconnect. Then with the door open (don't ask me why the door
> needs to be open but alledgedly it does!). Switch the ignition on (but don't
> start the car). Wait 30-40 seconds during which time you might hear some
> whirring noises. Then start the thing & with a bit of luck all will be well.
>
> I.

Just tried that, thanks.

didn't notice any whirring, and still doing same thing :-(

done about 30 miles now, still very annoying - it wouldn't be so
bad if I wasn't driving around town all the time, but when the
engine ticks over at 1400rpm, it makes crawling in traffic really
difficult!

Matt.
Old July 25th 05, 08:35 PM
Ted

"Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
message ...
> Iain Miller wrote:
>> "Matthew Maddock" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>
>>>Just had to replace the battery on my '95 2.6 A6, the
>>>tick over was nice and steady before, but now it settles
>>>at 1500+ and seems to vary a bit - plus the engine seems
>>>a bit rough.
>>>
>>>Is it just one of those things that will re-program itself
>>>over the next few hundred miles, and then it'll be fine?
>>>

>> Try doing a throttle body adaption. Disconnect the battery, wait 30
>> seconds or so & then reconnect. Then with the door open (don't ask me why
>> the door needs to be open but alledgedly it does!). Switch the ignition
>> on (but don't start the car). Wait 30-40 seconds during which time you
>> might hear some whirring noises. Then start the thing & with a bit of
>> luck all will be well.
>>
>> I.

> Just tried that, thanks.
>
> didn't notice any whirring, and still doing same thing :-(
>
> done about 30 miles now, still very annoying - it wouldn't be so
> bad if I wasn't driving around town all the time, but when the
> engine ticks over at 1400rpm, it makes crawling in traffic really
> difficult!
>
> Matt.

you just been spooffffeeedddd.

now you gotta start all over again.

dj

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM