WTH Is _Wrong_With People?

Old July 20th 05, 06:31 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:17:29 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:

>I think I'm going to start carrying my little point-n-shoot camera again, the
>one with the flash built in, and start taking pictures of these idiots and see
>what they do...

Tomorrow's headline:

"Man Killed While Taking Pictures While Driving"

Old July 20th 05, 06:42 AM
Brent P

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:17:29 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>I think I'm going to start carrying my little point-n-shoot camera again, the
>>one with the flash built in, and start taking pictures of these idiots and see
>>what they do...

> Tomorrow's headline:
>
> "Man Killed While Taking Pictures While Driving"

To avoid this carl-taylor style problem I would like to install small
video cameras in my car. The cameras are pretty cheap, it's recording the
video where it gets difficult and more costly.

Old July 20th 05, 11:45 PM
Dave Head

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:31:50 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:17:29 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>I think I'm going to start carrying my little point-n-shoot camera again, the
>>one with the flash built in, and start taking pictures of these idiots and see
>>what they do...

>Tomorrow's headline:
>
>"Man Killed While Taking Pictures While Driving"

Don't hold your breath, Chicken Little.

Dave Head

Old July 21st 05, 04:15 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:40:59 GMT, DYM > wrote:

>>>To avoid this carl-taylor style problem I would like to install small
>>>video cameras in my car. The cameras are pretty cheap, it's recording
>>>the video where it gets difficult and more costly.

>> Not at all.
>>
>> I used a piece of masking tape to affix a $50 webcam to the top of my
>> dashboard.

>It would probably come out a jittery mess that would be barely viewable.

You've obviously never watched any of the videos I made with my webcam
(links to which were posted to the group).

>I don't know how much vibration a laptop's hard drive can take and still
>be accessing with a high enough through put to handle video images.

Observation #1: laptop hard drives are shock mounted and capable of
withstanding significant G forces.
Observation #2: the front passenger seat does a REALLY good job of
absorbing road bumps.

Needless to say, neither my laptop nor its hard drive suffered any ill
effects - even though I recorded an entire round trip between SoCal
and Tucson (roughly 16 hours of driving).

Old July 21st 05, 11:08 PM
DYM

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
news

>>> Not at all.
>>>
>>> I used a piece of masking tape to affix a $50 webcam to the top of my
>>> dashboard.

>>It would probably come out a jittery mess that would be barely

viewable.

> You've obviously never watched any of the videos I made with my webcam
> (links to which were posted to the group).
>
>>I don't know how much vibration a laptop's hard drive can take and

still
>>be accessing with a high enough through put to handle video images.

> Observation #1: laptop hard drives are shock mounted and capable of
> withstanding significant G forces.
> Observation #2: the front passenger seat does a REALLY good job of
> absorbing road bumps.
>
> Needless to say, neither my laptop nor its hard drive suffered any ill
> effects - even though I recorded an entire round trip between SoCal
> and Tucson (roughly 16 hours of driving).

I made a half hearted attempt with a video camera once. The results where
not very good.

We've got video survailance cameras on some of the buses. You have to
replace the tape every month or the image quality goes down hill.

What I'd love to have is a dash cam (maybe split screen with a rear shot
too) that gives status of indicators shuch as lights and guages.

Doug
Old July 22nd 05, 04:26 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:08:16 GMT, DYM > wrote:

>We've got video survailance cameras on some of the buses. You have to
>replace the tape every month or the image quality goes down hill.

Digital video is a wonderful thing. No dirty tape heads - ever.