Crankshaft position sensor on 89 Wrangler

Old September 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sozai

Default Crankshaft position sensor on 89 Wrangler

Hi,

I have a 89 Jeep wrangler that will not start. In fact it has sat
untouched for about 7 years before I became it's new owner. I towed it
home and now I'm trying to bring it back to life. I've swapped out the
usual things (plugs, distributor & cables). It cranks but will not
start up.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have much experience working on jeeps. I
purchased a crankshaft position sensor for this vehicle and I would
appreciate any help from the group as to where the sensor is attached
to the crankshaft. Clearly the other end goes into the ignition
control module.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Old September 7th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

What engine do you have in it? The I6 has no crank position sensor, not
sure on the 4 banger.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 8th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

89 4 banger is fuel injected.. The CPS is in the transmission side of the
bellhousing, driver's side, about 1/2 to 5/8 of the way up, held in by two
bolts,10mm or 13mm.

Are you getting spark? Are you getting fuel? Before throwing a CPS at it,
check and make sure you are getting fuel to the rail, then check for spark.
If you aren't getting spark, check each component back from the plugs. Ie:
no spark at the plug, how about at the dist? coil? Power to the coil OK? If
you have fuel and all of those don't help, then I would maybe try the CPS.

Does it have 7 year old gas in it? Basically, check everything that's free
before you replace any parts. All wires, connections and grounds are fair
game for a no-start.

Check out www.partsamerica.com for a better price on that CPS. They work
with Checker/Shucks/Kragen so you print out the price there and take it into
any CSK store and get the item for that price. Generally save 10-15%

HTH

Carl