Alfa SZ?

Old April 29th 04, 07:26 AM
Catman

George Graves wrote:

> In article <qoSjc.10561$EV2.97404@amstwist00>,
> "Alfistagj" > wrote:
>
>> "George Graves" > schreef in bericht
>> >
>> > Right there what you quoted 'dual overhead camshafts.' In order for a
>> > V-engine to have DOHC, it would have to have two per bank, or at least
>> > that's been the convention as long as I have cared about cars (more
>> > than 40 years). One camshaft per bank is a single overhead camshaft
>> > engine which is what the 12-valve Alfa V-6 is.
>> >
>> > --
>> > George Graves
>> > ------------------

>> I raised the question because of the word "dual".
>> Being in the business just 5 years shorter than you, I had never heard of
>> (or read about) DUAL OHC, that's why I asked.
>> Indeed DOHC - double over head camshafts which is 2 (two) can shafts on
>> one cylinder row.
>> Alfa's V6 indeed is a S(ingle)OHC engine

> OK, I see where you could get confused. We arrogant Americans sometimes
> forget that English isn't everybody's first language

Or even the first langauge of America?

OK, I'll get my coat

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old April 29th 04, 09:27 AM
Ppelectron

I would just like to thank everyone who has responded to my original post :-)

It seems that the SZ I saw is actually for sale locally, but given the price
and the fact that it is left hand drive, I think I will be keeping my 156. The
SZ is gorgeous though...
Old May 1st 04, 10:10 AM
Catman

Info wrote:

> I agree, apart from a 250 GTO, the TZ2 is my all-time favourite.
> That said, the SZ is simply sublime, more modern and about ten times less
> expensive.
> I read an Alfa book about Berlinas and for some reason they counted the SZ
> as a berlina, commenting something like 'although in the 80's the
> corrosion issue of stainless steel and aluminium was allready well known,
> the Alfa engineers did not take it into account' or something to that
> effect. Does anybody know what they were on about? Is there a corrosion or
> assembly issue with the SZ/ES30?
> I've been dreaming about one ever since I was eye to eye with a black RZ
> (dark red interior - so evil), and read an SZ test in a french magazine
> where they registered it as doing 1,4g in the corners (with 80's tires).
> Imagine that with an autodelta tuned V6...yummy.

They have built at least one supercharged one. There are some pictures on
the group site. The 'word' is that the inlet tract is too long and it
doesn't spin up properly.
Jamie Porter at The Workshop (the guys that look after my cars) are
building another one right now. He is an evil man and keeps trying to sell
me a supercharger and billet cams for the Giulietta......

Old May 5th 04, 05:45 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Catman" > wrote in message > >
> >heh I visited UK in 99 and saw 2 SZ during 2 weeks.

> I've only ever seen one on the road, not counting journeys to and from
> National Alfa day

I saw one in central London when they first came out. I remember being
surprised at how small it was.

Jason.