MG-Rover *FLUSHHHHHgurglegurgleFooshFlupFlupFlup*

Old April 8th 05, 08:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default MG-Rover *FLUSHHHHHgurglegurgleFooshFlupFlupFlup*

For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as the
British car industry:

http://tinyurl.com/6alus

MG-Rover: Rust In Peace

Old April 8th 05, 08:37 PM
C.H.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:05:52 -0400, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as the
> British car industry:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6alus
>
> MG-Rover: Rust In Peace

Lotus does still exist and is doing well. Also a whole bunch of smaller
but very interesting manufacturers exist. I don't miss Rover all that much
though.

Chris

Old April 8th 05, 08:53 PM
Adrian

C.H. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

>> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as
>> the British car industry:

> Lotus does still exist and is doing well.

In Proton's ownership.

> Also a whole bunch of smaller but very interesting manufacturers exist.

Such as TVR. Owned by a Russian Mafiosa's lad as a hobby.

Manganese Bronze is now our biggest *owned* car manufacturer.
Old April 8th 05, 09:43 PM
C.H.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:53:12 +0000, Adrian wrote:

> C.H. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
> were saying :
>
>>> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as
>>> the British car industry:

>> Lotus does still exist and is doing well.

> In Proton's ownership.

We didn't talk ownership. Lotus cars are built in England and were
developed there.

Chris
Old April 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, C.H. wrote:

>>> Lotus does still exist and is doing well.

>> In Proton's ownership.

> We didn't talk ownership.

Yeah, we did. Toyota and Honda build lots of cars in the US; that does not
make them part of the American auto industry. Likewise, even if we pretend
for a moment that Lotus are an automaker, their Korean ownership means
they are not part of the British, er, car industry.

But it's an irrelevant comparison, 'cos Lotus aren't an automaker. They're
a toy company. They handbuild a few (a VERY few) expensive, fast toys for
a few (a VERY few) people.

"Automaker" implies mass production.

The British auto industry is as dead as the pope.

Old April 8th 05, 10:07 PM
223rem

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as the
> British car industry:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6alus
>
> MG-Rover: Rust In Peace

I dont get the glee. They made the Mini and the Land Rover.
We're not talking about GM here.
Old April 8th 05, 11:56 PM
Tim S Kemp

C.H. wrote:

> Lotus

Malaysian.

--
We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
and Ni-wom!

Old April 9th 05, 06:56 AM
Bernard farquart

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as the
> British car industry:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6alus
>
> MG-Rover: Rust In Peace

It is still sad to see fewer and fewer choices, and
it was once a company that could design a very forward
thinking car.

I had a 1968 Rover TC 2000 (four door sedan) it
was a bit bitchy in the carburetor department, but had
a wonderful ride, and excellent handling.

I don't really think that further consolidation of the
industry is the way for new and interesting ideas to make
it to market, so I am confused by your apparent glee.

Did you have a bad Rover experiance?

Bernard

Old April 9th 05, 10:15 AM
Uno Hoo!

"Bernard farquart" > wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
>>
>> For those silly nincompoops still contending there's such a thing as the
>> British car industry:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6alus
>>
>> MG-Rover: Rust In Peace
>>

> It is still sad to see fewer and fewer choices, and
> it was once a company that could design a very forward
> thinking car.
>
> I had a 1968 Rover TC 2000 (four door sedan) it
> was a bit bitchy in the carburetor department, but had
> a wonderful ride, and excellent handling.
>
> I don't really think that further consolidation of the
> industry is the way for new and interesting ideas to make
> it to market, so I am confused by your apparent glee.
>
> Did you have a bad Rover experiance?

He may have done but I certainly didn't. I own a 12 month old (face-lifted)
75 tourer diesel auto and it's a superb car. The problem was that MG/Rover
didn't have the money to develop new models and that was their downfall.
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with any of their cars (apart from the
cloned Tata!) - they're just old and no longer competitive. Had they managed
to find a partner with sufficient money to invest in new models I think that
the whole story would have been different.
I'm feeling a little better after having spoken to my dealer. They are part
of a financially sound national company and will continue in business
(although not selling Rovers of course!). They tell me that as I bought my
car from them they will continue to honour the warranty, which is excellent
news (although in the first twelve months I haven't had to make use of it at
all). As I bought it as a 'retirement car' that I always intended to last me
for as long as it kept running, I'm not over bothered about residual value
either. It's a very good car and I will continue to enjoy driving it.
There are some superb offers on Rovers now. Dealers will offer a warranty
and for anyone intending to hang on to their car for a period of years and
not concerned about residual values they could do far worse than pick up a
brand new 75 for £12,995. Bear in mind that this is a car developed by BMW,
containing a majority of BMW parts, and, in the case of the diesels, having
a BMW engine. A lot of car for the money.

Kev

Kev

Old April 9th 05, 11:35 AM
Mike G

"Uno Hoo!" > wrote in message

> I'm feeling a little better after having spoken to my dealer. They are

part
> of a financially sound national company and will continue in business
> (although not selling Rovers of course!). They tell me that as I bought my
> car from them they will continue to honour the warranty, which is

excellent
> news (although in the first twelve months I haven't had to make use of it

at
> all). As I bought it as a 'retirement car' that I always intended to last

me
> for as long as it kept running, I'm not over bothered about residual value
> either. It's a very good car and I will continue to enjoy driving it.
> There are some superb offers on Rovers now.

As I see it, the problems of buying one now, is going to be that of
obtaining spares. I'm thinking especially of those that are particular to
the car. Body panels, and suspension parts. Not to mention trim etc. The
genuine spares in stock at present, will soon run out, and pattern parts are
probably limited to those that need regular replacement. Brake parts,
exhausts etc.
If things like body panels, and suspension parts are not available, an
otherwise repairable accident, could result in the car being a write-off, or
only being repairable by using s/h parts from breakers yards. How long are
those going to last?
IMO, even heavily discounted, buying one now doesn't make a lot of sense,
and present owners like yourself are going to find it increasingly difficult
to keep their cars on the road.
Mike.